A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,707
Currently Running With Scissors:
764 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Knitty's Calorimetry  (Read 110217 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #360 on: January 11, 2007 09:57:42 AM »

i just cast on my for my second calorimetry. my first one was giant like everyone elses. i made it with sugar and creme and size 7 needles. the one i just started on is on size 5 needles with patrons SWS. i cast on 120 sts. i am planning on felting it a little bit but i have never felted before. if i felt it will it shrink it in everyway? i mean should i have used less than 120 sts since i am planning on felting it or what? man i hope this works. i love this pattern and my last one was such a disaster. thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.c om

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 11, 2007 10:40:12 AM »

i just cast on my for my second calorimetry. my first one was giant like everyone elses. i made it with sugar and creme and size 7 needles. the one i just started on is on size 5 needles with patrons SWS. i cast on 120 sts. i am planning on felting it a little bit but i have never felted before. if i felt it will it shrink it in everyway? i mean should i have used less than 120 sts since i am planning on felting it or what? man i hope this works. i love this pattern and my last one was such a disaster. thanks!

You should always make a swatch to check your before and after felting gauge.  Since felting can be tricky, you never really know just how your finished project will come out.  So, knit yourself up a test swatch, measure it, felt it the way you will felt your finished Calorimetry, let it dry and then measure it again.  That swatch should give you a pretty good idea as to what your shrinkage percentage will be. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #362 on: January 11, 2007 10:50:41 AM »

I felted the one I made because it was too large...I used Pattons as well...I thought it would shrink to fit better--WRONG! It shrank into a very hard, unwearable brick...

However,if you look a few pages back, another knitter hand felted hers and it turned out tremendous!! You can still her lovely ribbing--machine felting turns it into "fabric" and way way too small...if you follow the original pattern...

I have found that Pattons does not shrink the same each time the same way, depending on pattern, color, etc. I now make a swatch and shrink to test each time (yeah, a pain...but better than wasting precious knitting time!)

BTW--if you guys hop over to the December Birthday Swap gallery, you can see the ones yellowblanket knit for hokiekate--and see how she wears her--ha ha --very adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Violet
constantly craftsterbating

and a half

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: January 11, 2007 12:44:32 PM »

I followed the pattern exactly and used Patons SWS on size 8 needles.  It did come out big, but I have a big "heed" (insert Scottish accent) at almost 24".  The length was fine, but I found it wider than I wanted, so I'll make my next one more narrow.  The coolest thing about how this turned out its that the self-striping came out totally symmetrical!  Trippy-dippy man!

finally someone posts their head size! i've been debating on casting on 80, or doing the pattern as written, since everyone claims it comes out so ginormous, but i have a 24" head, too! ginormous on a normal person might fit me just fine.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: http://violetsknits.blogspot.com
................... ................... ..................
boycott sew fast, sew easy! visit www.freetostitchfre etobitch.org
Baigneuse
« Reply #364 on: January 11, 2007 01:02:17 PM »

finally someone posts their head size! i've been debating on casting on 80, or doing the pattern as written, since everyone claims it comes out so ginormous, but i have a 24" head, too! ginormous on a normal person might fit me just fine.  Wink

I cast on 80 for mine but I have a 22.5" head and wanted it to be nice and snug. I'd go for casting on just like the pattern for length but keep an eye on how wide it's knitting up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #365 on: January 11, 2007 07:12:48 PM »

i just finished my second one that i started earlier today. i cast on 120 sts on US 5 needles. it fits well, i double buttoned it and i am in love with it. i just cast on 100 sts on the US 5s to make it a little more snug. i have a feeling i am going to make like 30 of these things! i really want to make one with the ribbon! its soooo pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.c om

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: January 12, 2007 07:21:22 AM »

BTW--if you guys hop over to the December Birthday Swap gallery, you can see the ones yellowblanket knit for hokiekate--and see how she wears her--ha ha --very adorable!

I saw that too! Very Shockingly Pink Coif meets Calo.... or really what else you can do with a Calo that is way too big.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=138116.60
Third pic from bottom so you can see for yourself.

ETA: link to other thread
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007 07:24:31 AM by Conley » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: January 12, 2007 09:06:49 AM »

I used some spare DK weight acrylic yarn from my stash and the gauge seems to be perfect! I cast on 120 sts as specified in the pattern.

After seeing KnitwitUK's post, I decided to use some RedHeart Sport weight I had lying around and cast on 120 as called for. I also just did it in garter stitch, because I'd never used short rows before and didn't want to think about ribbing while learning the new technique. (I'm a baby knitter.) The size came out fine, although admittedly I have a big head.

This pattern seems a good way to learn short rows, and I was pleased with the result. I think I'll try worsted weight and 80 or so CO st for my next one.

Anyhoo, just wanted to report my results.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
trillian

One is never alone with a rubber duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: January 12, 2007 10:33:21 AM »

I decided that I needed a Calorimetry yesterday after finding this thread, and today after only a few short hours of knitting here it is:

I knit it out of Novita Aino yarn, which is 100% wool (I think, I lost the label thingy), on 5mm needles. I'm going to have to try it with some selfstriping yarn next time, I really love the design. Even though it came out a bit large Wink

PS: larger photos are on my blog
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007 10:43:21 AM by trillian » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #369 on: January 12, 2007 03:17:16 PM »

very nice trillian! the color is also good on you...I am trying to find self striping yarn as well as the ones I have seen on here are just perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Converting a Tracing Object into Paths
Extreme Website Makeover - Adjusting the Trace Settings
Extreme Website Makeover - Adjusting Tracing Presets, Mode and Threshold
Extreme Website Makeover - Live Trace and the Tracing Options Dialog Box
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating a Company Logo with Illustrator®
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...