A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,506
Currently Running With Scissors:
349 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Knitty's Calorimetry  (Read 113648 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 05, 2007 12:44:40 PM »

I was wondering, anyone have any tips on what type of cast-on and bind-off to use?  I just know the basic ones. 

I did a long tail cast on, and a sewn bind-off (which you can see here):http://weebleknits.blogspot.com/2003/05/stretchy-bind-offs.html  Both of these give lots of stretch and work well with the ribbing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenna_alive
« Reply #291 on: January 05, 2007 12:48:50 PM »

thanks isisfae

with no agitation, I think it is just shrinking a bit, not really hard felting because you can still see your lovely stitches!!  I definitely felted one of mine and it was so bad....

I did just wash and dry my Pattons wool one and it came out wonderful!!  I will take pics this weekend...so far, I am up to five!!

lovely job knit4tattoos!!

i let a dryer full of towels be the agitation... the thing probably got knocked around a lot. yup, you can still see the stitches a bit, so it's not a true felt, but it now feels more like felt than a plain knit. it also became much thicker and a bit fuzzy too and the ribs are not stretchy anymore. not sure what to call the end result as it's not really a shrink and not a true felt. i'm thinking it could be the soy in the yarn that kept the stitches from fading away. (i used SWS)... *shrugs* it made the thing fit better and that's what counts!

I'm actually impressed with the way yours turned out.  At my local Michaels there's a felted swatch of SWS that looks pretty turdy.   Yours actually looks really nice!

thanks :-D a lot of my friends use patons sws and their felting results have come out nicely. and usually craft store swatches look crappy anyway (think of all those people fondling it before you!)

i had the skein for about a month and calorimetry seemed like the perfect project for it. used up the skein nicely... have only a tiny little ball of scrap left.

I have two sitting around from when Michaels had their mega-yarn-sale thing.  I think I want to make Ysolda's Stuffies out of at least one of them.

I was wondering, anyone have any tips on what type of cast-on and bind-off to use?  I just know the basic ones.  I think I did do a ribbed bind-off with mine.  Just wondering if anyone had any alternative suggestions.  I want to make more too.

I used the long-tail cast on as well, and just bound off in pattern (knit the knits, purl the purls) and I was really happy with the look of both of my edges.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Baigneuse
« Reply #292 on: January 05, 2007 01:54:46 PM »

I finished one calorimetry in caron simply soft and I almost finished another in Paton's SWS. Unfortunately I was trying to use up a partial skein so I ran short. I may frog and try again with fewer stiches and rows.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #293 on: January 05, 2007 02:21:08 PM »

Ooooo--I have to do a red one now!! I love the color on you --- too bad you ran out of yarn -- I have a few small balls of leftovers but I am afraid to use them as well in case they are short-- I am taking notes in my knitting notebook but so far I have no real record of how much yarn I need...

You guys are so hot with your knitting "language"--ha ha --"long tail cast offs, sewn binding thingy", wow--my head is spinning with lack of knowledge but willingness to learn....

OK--now every waitress at our local deli wants me to make them one for greasy hair days!! ha ha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: January 05, 2007 05:46:33 PM »

Well, I just finished another one (94 sts on US8 needles) but I can't get a decent photo.  I used Red Heart's '0798 Sunshine Print' and the colors are too bright for the camera...it hates fluorescents Tongue  (I have an old pic of the yarn -  http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f8/aliastriona/newsock.jpg - to capture the colors correctly it turned my green lawn to blue).  It's the only Red Heart yarn I absolutely love.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

box of purls
« Reply #295 on: January 05, 2007 07:09:11 PM »

I finished mine last Monday night I think and I have pictures!  I was going to do mine in Mission Falls but not only did I run out of yarn but I began to detest the color of the yarn so, I did it in Woolease in this red instead.  I think I cast on 96 stitches on size 9 needles which would be 5.5 mm (right?)  I cast off in pattern to give it the stretch and it's become habit.  So please excuse the extreme close up and the clothes hanging in the background. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenna_alive
« Reply #296 on: January 06, 2007 12:14:12 AM »

Ok, I finished the initial one out of Caron Simply Soft, following the pattern.  Of course, it was ginormous.  It doesn't look that odd in this picture, so I think it's still wearable, but it's so loose it barely stays on.

So then I made a second one out of Bernat Handicrafter 100% Cotton (which I have a MASSIVE skein of in this fantastic colorway, and another in an equally fantastic colorway).  This time I used only 96 stitches and eyeballed the short row repeats to get the width where I wanted it.

I'm much happier with the fit of this one.  And the cotton will work perfectly on greasy hair days.

The grey one has its uses, too, though.  Like humiliating my dog.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: January 06, 2007 05:27:18 AM »

i made another one tonight for a swap partner
but if i post a picture hopefully they don't see...

hey Moonlight, does that mean there will be 2 participants in the Stash Buster extravaganza receiving Calorimetry hairbands now?  Grin Brilliant for using up oddments, or so I've found. I made one using all my left over pieces of yarn tied together, sounds messy but looks great  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
MoonLightbliss33

Knitting Love <3

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 06, 2007 06:16:40 AM »

my partner in the stash busting swaps getting one
and then each of my IYP5 partners is getting one =]
i love making these things except sadly one of my partners calorimetry's found a new home....mine =] im not giving my green one up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: January 06, 2007 07:32:52 AM »

I'm loathe to part with the pink one I made for Di  Smiley But I will..... maybe.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adriana Trigiani Talks About Very Valentine
Mary Elizabeth Williams Talks About Gimme Shelter
Tricks Book Trailer
Judith Curr Talks About Microsoft Tag
Meet Author Sunny Schwartz
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...