A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Knitty's Calorimetry  (Read 110273 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MoonLightbliss33

Knitting Love <3

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 04, 2007 10:13:50 PM »

i made another one tonight for a swap partner
but if i post a picture hopefully they dont see...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knit4tattoos
« Reply #281 on: January 04, 2007 10:19:23 PM »

Delurking to post my Calorimetry pics because I just finished my first one tonight (not counting the one I messed up and frogged) and I'm all excited about it.  I used Patons SWS in plum and even though it's lighter and more colorful than anything I'm used to wearing, I love it!  I think it's just the cutest thing! 

I read through the whole thread before starting but went ahead with casting on the 120 stitches just to see what happened.  It didn't turn out huge for me but I wanted a loose fit so I can pull it down over my ears without pain.  I have a couple rather fresh large gauge cartilage piercings.  I need no pressure on those.  So going around my head, the fit is just perfect.  It's a little long hanging down in back but not by a lot.  My next one, I'm not doing the full 17 repeats of row #7.  If I use the same yarn, I'll take off about four rows, I think.  And there will be a next one!  I have very long hair that I usually wear up.  When it's not up, it's curly.  Either way, normal hats don't work so well for me.

Okay, on to the pictures!

I want to wear it with the dark purple stripe by my face but it seems like there might be just a little more overhang when I do.  I don't know.
Front.
Back.

I flipped it around to see if it helped with the overhang in back.  Eh.  I'm not sure.  Even pulled all the way over my ears, there's still some overhang.  The second bun is different.  I changed it because I like the higher positioin with the Calorimetry. 
Front.
Back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MoonLightbliss33

Knitting Love <3

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 04, 2007 10:23:01 PM »

im going to have to buy some patons sws
i love everyones calorimetrys with it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gaucamolegreetings
« Reply #283 on: January 04, 2007 11:39:19 PM »

knit4tattoos, yours is gorgeous, I just love it.  I think the colors go beautifully with your hair and complextion.

I was wondering, anyone have any tips on what type of cast-on and bind-off to use?  I just know the basic ones.  I think I did do a ribbed bind-off with mine.  Just wondering if anyone had any alternative suggestions.  I want to make more too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #284 on: January 05, 2007 07:52:54 AM »

I've made about five of these. ( I will post pictures after I get some buttons on them).
120 seems way way off. It came out huge on my head and my head is HUGE. I don't normally fit even guys hats.
Has anyone contacted knitty or the designer because the cast on of 120 has to be wrong?

I've made a couple with size 4 needles and 100 stchs seems to be the right number.
I've also made a couple with size 7 needles and 80 stchs seems to be the perfect size.

I want to try a felted one. That would be good for really cold days.

someone here machine felted hers and it came out too tight... i suggest that if you felt it that you use my lazy method. not sure if you can call it felting, but the results look like felt while maintaining some stitch visibility.

1) wet it down with hot tap water in the sink (just run it under the tap, no need to soak it)
2) squeeze out the excess water
3) toss it in the dryer with a load of laundry. (high heat w/ a long cycle is what i used, but our dryer can barely dry a pair of jeans) towels or jeans work best as those will knock around the item being heat treated

it should come out nicely w/o too much shrinkage. just make sure to work the pattern as written when making the item

oh and i wore it yesterday.. it was super warm! so much so that i had to take it off b/c it was in the 50s by mid-afternoon. but when i did wear it, it did keep me warmer than it did when it wasn't felted.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007 11:44:24 AM by isisfae » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #285 on: January 05, 2007 08:10:59 AM »

thanks isisfae

with no agitation, I think it is just shrinking a bit, not really hard felting because you can still see your lovely stitches!!  I definitely felted one of mine and it was so bad....

I did just wash and dry my Pattons wool one and it came out wonderful!!  I will take pics this weekend...so far, I am up to five!!

lovely job knit4tattoos!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenna_alive
« Reply #286 on: January 05, 2007 09:18:17 AM »

It's official, mine is finished and ginormous.  I cast on for another one out of 100% cotton and I'm almost done with it.  This time I did 90 someodd stitches and just eyeballed the short rows until it was about half as wide as I wanted.  I figure if this one is still too loose, the content should allow me to wash and dry and shrink it up.  Plus, cotton makes a good greasy hair day cover up.  Since I switched to a sulfate free shampoo, I'm having a lot of those!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

« Reply #287 on: January 05, 2007 10:07:44 AM »

thanks isisfae

with no agitation, I think it is just shrinking a bit, not really hard felting because you can still see your lovely stitches!!  I definitely felted one of mine and it was so bad....

I did just wash and dry my Pattons wool one and it came out wonderful!!  I will take pics this weekend...so far, I am up to five!!

i let a dryer full of towels be the agitation... the thing probably got knocked around a lot. yup, you can still see the stitches a bit, so it's not a true felt, but it now feels more like felt than a plain knit. it also became much thicker and a bit fuzzy too and the ribs are not stretchy anymore. not sure what to call the end result as it's not really a shrink and not a true felt. i'm thinking it could be the soy in the yarn that kept the stitches from fading away. (i used SWS)... *shrugs* it made the thing fit better and that's what counts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenna_alive
« Reply #288 on: January 05, 2007 11:13:53 AM »

thanks isisfae

i let a dryer full of towels be the agitation... the thing probably got knocked around a lot. yup, you can still see the stitches a bit, so it's not a true felt, but it now feels more like felt than a plain knit. it also became much thicker and a bit fuzzy too and the ribs are not stretchy anymore. not sure what to call the end result as it's not really a shrink and not a true felt. i'm thinking it could be the soy in the yarn that kept the stitches from fading away. (i used SWS)... *shrugs* it made the thing fit better and that's what counts!

I'm actually impressed with the way yours turned out.  At my local Michaels there's a felted swatch of SWS that looks pretty turdy.   Yours actually looks really nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

« Reply #289 on: January 05, 2007 11:47:23 AM »

thanks isisfae

I'm actually impressed with the way yours turned out.  At my local Michaels there's a felted swatch of SWS that looks pretty turdy.   Yours actually looks really nice!

thanks :-D a lot of my friends use patons sws and their felting results have come out nicely. and usually craft store swatches look crappy anyway (think of all those people fondling it before you!)

i had the skein for about a month and calorimetry seemed like the perfect project for it. used up the skein nicely... have only a tiny little ball of scrap left.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Malteaser Cake
How to Decorate Your Own Wedding Cake
Rhubarb and Ginger Crumble Recipe
How to Make Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars
How to Make Easy Homemade Chocolate Truffles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...