A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,870
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Whats the best way to start making this doll?  (Read 2037 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wild musings
« on: December 08, 2006 05:45:42 PM »

I decided to make a plush doll for my best friend as a birthday present. Thing is, I have no idea where to start. Here is an example of what I want to do:

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/7354/mikeyplushjl6.jpg

I want to make a doll of Ryan Ross from Panic! at the disco. Specifically, this picture, with the rose vest.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/3514/5b1b8f9c5iv.jpg

Questions:
-Where would I start? Do I need a pattern? Is there a pattern for making plush dolls?
-How would I go about making his hair? His clothes?

Any and all help is very much appreciated. You guys have no idea how much this will mean to her.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006 07:31:13 PM by teapotdnky » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006 04:54:20 AM »

You could try looking at "UFO Catcher" plushie sites, they should have patterns and instructions on how to make such character dolls.
Here's a handy link to help you get started:
http://dollmaker.nunodoll.com/ (scroll down a bit)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wild musings
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006 05:35:55 AM »

That's almost exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006 07:14:04 AM »

That's almost exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you so much!

You're very welcome. Smiley
Can't wait to see what you come up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sariel
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006 09:01:33 AM »

Just to toss out another idea:  Smiley

When I started making my dolls, I cut a gingerbread-man shape out of a manila folder. (Well, gingerbread-man with an actual torso, but.) Then I made the first doll-body, and once it was stuffed and all, I traced around it (leaving some space) on another manila folder to get a "jumpsuit" pattern. (The jumpsuit can be modified into shirts, pants, skirts, bustiers, vests, whatever really easily, and this way I only need to hang onto one extra pattern.) If you're using felt for the material, two standard felt squares should handle the body of a good-sized doll, and up to a square for clothing (unless it's a jumpsuit or dress, then two squares).

My hair is just yarn backstitched onto the head, although I'm thinking of trying UFO-catcher-style felt hair sometime. (Main trick when doing yarn hair: make sure you use long pieces, and trim it down later. It's a lot easier than trying to get exactly the right length from the start.)

Good luck with your dolls!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 plushies! If you like my designs, I'm up for discussing swaps or commissions. Smiley

my wists
wild musings
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006 09:34:54 AM »

Just to toss out another idea:  Smiley

When I started making my dolls, I cut a gingerbread-man shape out of a manila folder. (Well, gingerbread-man with an actual torso, but.) Then I made the first doll-body, and once it was stuffed and all, I traced around it (leaving some space) on another manila folder to get a "jumpsuit" pattern. (The jumpsuit can be modified into shirts, pants, skirts, bustiers, vests, whatever really easily, and this way I only need to hang onto one extra pattern.) If you're using felt for the material, two standard felt squares should handle the body of a good-sized doll, and up to a square for clothing (unless it's a jumpsuit or dress, then two squares).

My hair is just yarn backstitched onto the head, although I'm thinking of trying UFO-catcher-style felt hair sometime. (Main trick when doing yarn hair: make sure you use long pieces, and trim it down later. It's a lot easier than trying to get exactly the right length from the start.)

Good luck with your dolls!  Smiley

Thank you. That sounds very easy!  Now I just need to go to a crafts store ;P Thanks, I need all the luck I can get.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sariel
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006 05:00:51 PM »

No problem!  Smiley Yeah, it's pretty easy to make them: unless the clothing or hair is really complicated, I can finish a doll in about . . . 3-5 hours of work? Give or take? And it's usually the hair that's complicated, if anything, because I'm really really obsessive about getting the style and thickness just right.  Wink

The really nice thing is that if you scale the doll to be just a bit "shorter" than a single felt rectangle, it's the perfect size. And since felt rectangles run about $0.20 USD each, a whole doll only takes about a dollar or two in material!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 plushies! If you like my designs, I'm up for discussing swaps or commissions. Smiley

my wists
kemerald14

Gimme a bweak... can't touch this!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007 04:43:21 PM »

PLEASE post a pic when you're done!! I love panic! and would love to see how it turns out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's the yellow button! Whoa, whose car is that.. it's a beast!
wild musings
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007 08:02:53 AM »

PLEASE post a pic when you're done!! I love panic! and would love to see how it turns out

A PANIC! FAN... Do you know how hard it is to find Panic! fans?! Hehe, ♥. Aww, I would if I had a digital camera =/ Next on my list is Brendon. And he's for me  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kemerald14

Gimme a bweak... can't touch this!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007 03:29:24 PM »

Yeah , they're amazing. i got to see them in concert in december and met them after... brendon is even sexier in person Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's the yellow button! Whoa, whose car is that.. it's a beast!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
H&M Working On A Luxury Line
Kristen Stewart Goes Black, White, and Printed in Paris
Fall-Ready Sheath Dresses
Behind the Scenes at the UPTOWN Fashion Shoot Oct/Nov 2011
Behind the Scenes at Sanaa Lathan Cover Shoot
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...