A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone for Knitty's "Eiffel"?  (Read 10735 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Boffcat
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2006 03:33:24 PM »

Cranberry - I agree it's a bit confusing, but (as I understand it, at least) although their DK yarn is made up of 4 strands plied together, that doesn't make it a typical 4-ply weight (if you think about it, a single ply isn't a necessarily a standard weight or thickness, so 4 such plies stranded together aren't always going to make for classic "4-ply" yarn). The yarn is listed as being DK weight, meaning it should knit up on 4mm needles, which is what Eiffel calls for. I'm hoping this is right, anyway, because that's what I'm going for!

As for colour, I do love the chocolatey shade of the original, but I think I might go for a bright berry colour. I love the sound of your deep cherry red, almndladybug.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who would have thought - I have a blog!
almndladybug
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2006 05:54:41 PM »

Boffcat--
This is the color I'm using Fiery Red The picture really doesn't do the richness and lushiousness of the color good. The color is A LOT nicer than the name fiery red implies.

So far I have about 6 repeats of lacing done. Each repeat for me is equaling  about 1/2" of  knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
canarysanctuary
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006 08:15:43 PM »

I'm actually waiting on some Silk Maiden yarn from Handmaiden in a golden colour.  I seem to go through colour phases - it was pink before, then orange, now yellows.  :p 
Can't wait for it to get here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am because my little bird knows me."
http://canaryknits.blogspot.com/

"Gentlemen! We can't *all* be the Honey-Nut Cheerios honeybee!" -Crow
Boffcat
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2006 12:00:31 AM »

almndladybug - Oohhh, that colour is gorgeous! And I do love SWTC bamboo. I'll have to think about it though - it's on the eyebrow-raising side of expensive (over $17 a skein) in Britain. Plus I've never knit anything larger than a hat with it, and I don't know much about its elasticity - do you think the garment might lose its shape over time, or am I worrying about nothing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who would have thought - I have a blog!
almndladybug
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2006 03:26:15 AM »

almndladybug - Oohhh, that colour is gorgeous! And I do love SWTC bamboo. I'll have to think about it though - it's on the eyebrow-raising side of expensive (over $17 a skein) in Britain. Plus I've never knit anything larger than a hat with it, and I don't know much about its elasticity - do you think the garment might lose its shape over time, or am I worrying about nothing?

Bamboo is supposed to have similar qualities as silk, very drapey, which is why I chose it. I've never personally knit with it before, so we'll see how it turns out  In other words, I don't know about the shape, but I would figure with how drapey it is, that after you wash it if you were to dry it flat and shape it back to shape I would think it would be good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bijou_raoul
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2006 04:38:53 AM »

For the color, I'm learning towards either brown or olive green.  Or whatever is available in the yarn that I decide to use that looks pretty.  But for now those are my two choices.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberry
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2006 08:08:26 AM »

Cranberry - I agree it's a bit confusing, but (as I understand it, at least) although their DK yarn is made up of 4 strands plied together, that doesn't make it a typical 4-ply weight (if you think about it, a single ply isn't a necessarily a standard weight or thickness, so 4 such plies stranded together aren't always going to make for classic "4-ply" yarn). The yarn is listed as being DK weight, meaning it should knit up on 4mm needles, which is what Eiffel calls for. I'm hoping this is right, anyway, because that's what I'm going for!

As for colour, I do love the chocolatey shade of the original, but I think I might go for a bright berry colour. I love the sound of your deep cherry red, almndladybug.

Thanks for the insight. I sent on an email with my queries, but they haven't gotten back to me as yet. I think the yardage (85m for 5.00) is taking the mick, and I don't need 500grams of yarn. I might order a sample and have a play with it though... just to support the local business. I might spring for the Canadian hemp. Somehow. I think I have a friend that lives in that area... :/

Please tell me how you find the hemp, I'll be interested in your response.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2006 06:35:13 PM »

I knit up a swatch last night, dutifully washed it, blocked it . . . and came up with 22 stitches and 20 rows! What the hell . . . I am usually off a bit not like this. So, I went up to the 7s and tried again. This time if am putting the sucker in the washer with the towels and see how it holds up.

As a total aside, A. C. Moore had their Peru Luxury line clearanced to 2.97 a ball for merino/alpaca/silk blend so . . . I buckled and bought 18 balls. To do what with, I am not quite sure, but I like that gauge swatch much better.

Ava
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkyhooker
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2006 06:56:05 PM »

I too buckled and bought a bunch of that Peru Luxary!  I've already used mine up tho. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
almndladybug
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2006 03:45:53 PM »

So NVM, doesn't matter, I figured it out, just knit the sts as you come to them, since you're decreasing anyways and it's in the underarm it doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006 04:12:21 PM by almndladybug » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Smaller Is Better: Why Micro-Apartments Are The New Norm
Ergonomic Eatery: What Your Kitchen Says About You
A Room With a View: Bringing Personality to Home Design
Color Therapy at LAX: How Art Helps Passengers De-Stress
Low-Carbon Building: How to Regreen a Polluted City
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...