A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,912
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone for Knitty's "Eiffel"?  (Read 11499 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krafty_kelly
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006 02:03:27 PM »

I love the knit picks Merino Style in asparagus!!  I'm practically drooling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaucamolegreetings
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2006 10:17:09 PM »

As far as yarn with drape, I think a ramie/cotton might work nicely, based on a sweater I already own.  Elann.com has an undyed ramie/cotton blend that is CHEAP and about the right weight, I think, so I may order one hank soon to see what the drape is like.  If anyone else tries this please let me know how it turns out.

I see TONS of cotton/ramie blends in thrift store sweaters.  I would LOVE if this pattern would work for that.  I have a few thrift store sweaters waiting in my garage to be reecycled.  I might make a few swatches to see if any would fit the bill.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2006 04:07:56 AM »

Hooray, fellow Eiffel-ers! Thanks for the links, Miss Violaceous, but although the yarn itself was pretty good value, the shipping costs came to over $30, which priced it waaaay out of my meagre budget!

If anyone else is in the UK, I've stumbled upon a useful site: http://www.houseofhemp.co.uk/hempfp.html . They sell DK hemp in some gorgeous colours, but - for the more budget-conscious among us - for half the price you can buy natural hemp to dye yourself.

I'm interested in that website, boffcat. But I don't understand - they only sell 2ply and 4ply yarns? Dang. I might have to break out the credit card anyways, because I've always wanted to try hemp. I wonder if it could be substituted for cotton?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2006 04:44:12 AM »

Count me in. I haven't joined a KAL in a while (Sizzle was the last one). I bought the yarn yesterday, after much email discussion with Lola, and am ready to do a gague swatch when it gets here . . . Christmas be damned.

Ava
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krafty_kelly
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2006 05:32:49 AM »

So what are some of the colours we will be using.  I'm thinking a green, but I'm not sure.  Anyone else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkyhooker
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2006 06:04:40 AM »

Has anyone one used the hemp fiber called for in the pattern?  If so can  you tell us what it's similar too?  Would Caron SS be suitable?  I'm anxious to buy yarn! LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
funkyhooker
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2006 06:09:27 AM »

apparently I also need a #4 and #6 circ. needles too.  That'll give me something to buy whilst I wait! LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
almndladybug
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2006 06:12:18 AM »

I bought 4 skeins of SWTC bamboo yesterday in this wonderful deep cherry red color.

How is everybody doing their swatches? Are you just swatching the 4-3 rib or are you throwing in the lace pattern, too? On what size needle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2006 08:38:36 AM »

I'm making either the largest or the second largest size as my boobs are rather large (not always that nice to have around). I bought the yarn specified as I have wanted to use hemp yarn in the past and I liked the deep brown color. Perhaps it will fool me into thinking that I am eating chocolate in the New Year. I think I will just swatch the ribbing . . . the lace should stretch.

Ava
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diosaperdida
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2006 10:15:28 AM »

Wow..I did some looking around at the designers website...and I'm so impressed with what I see.
I am for sure gifting hubby with some of their yarn...he loves drapy, non elastic yarn.
It was the "about hemp" page that sold me...I was very surprised at the history of hemp and it's versatility.

It doesn't hurt that it reminds me of silk, either.

Seems I have some cotton/viscose yarn that my husband bought for me from a thrift store...very old stuff...and I don't love the color...but it might work out.
I am seriously thinking I'm in on this KAL....one way or another.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006 10:18:19 AM by diosaperdida » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Random Little Things in Lightroom That Throw People Off
Everything You Wanted to Know About Photoshop Guides
Lightroom Tutorials: The Key Difference Between Cloning and Healing
Lightroom Tutorials: Editing a Beach Photo
Photoshop Tutorials: Stitching and Cleaning Up Panoramas
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...