A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting for a bf?  (Read 2594 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GreatBallofFire
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005 06:52:12 AM »

There's a great hat pattern in the first SnB. I think it's called hot head or something like that. It's one of my favorite patterns, I've made them for 90% of my guy friends for gifts or they've begged me to make them.

But beware... the boyfriend curse is very real. I've been there and done that.
(the good news is, with the SnB hat, if it dosn't work out, you could wear it too!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Knitting Journal
www.sticksnloans.blogger.com
Sweet Roll
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005 07:07:12 AM »

To hell with curses!
What about wristwarmers in his favorite colors? Or you can do an intarsia pattern of an image that he likes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ariane
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005 07:47:47 AM »

There's also a really cute guy/girl beenie that's in Weeken Knitting...I think thats what its called...Im just being lazy to get up an go look, besides I might wake up the baby, the closets its in makes a ton of noise...

...the pattern calls for the use of two color yarn which give it some demention--it might look good with Garden Silk yarn by Noro.

Good luck.  Im sure he'll appreciate anything you make--if he's anything like my husband:-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://wicked_stitches.typepad.com/wicked_stitches/

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley
ultraviolet
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005 08:13:57 AM »

Curses, my a**. That is just baloney! The fact is that many relationships end, and it's very easy to look back and say "It's because I knit him a sweater" or "It's because we went on that vacation" or "It's because we switched to lite beer." It means nothing. I've knit my boyfriend 2 sweaters, a scarf and a stuffed penguin and we are about to celebrate our 4-year anniversary, AND he recently picked out yarn for an ipod cozy.

So, pshaw! Pshaw, I say!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
mols

The Holy Grail - of sorts . . . .

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005 08:47:04 AM »

I agree with ultraviolet.  Curses Schmurses.

On a similar note however, if your SO doesn't wear ____ (insert appropriate item, hats, wristbands, sweaters, scarves) from a store, chances are he/she won't really want to wear one you made either.  You're setting yourself up to be annoyed/upset. 

So the key to SO knitting is really - make sure its' something they're really likely to wear.  Don't just count on them wearing it cause you made it.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An eye for and eye leaves the whole world blind.
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005 11:25:02 PM »

ha! the closest we got to a 'breakup' was when i insisted i was going to knit my SO a scarf, he (finally) gave in, and we went to the yarn store to choose the wool.
and had a little fight because he couldn't envisage any of the wool knit up so didn't care what wool i/ he chose.

but he wears said scarf.

and spent his time at a party bitching with a friend whos girlfriend was also knitting him a scarf about how horrible yarn stores are Smiley and then he gloated over how his scarf had stripes and his friend's didn't.... and now he keeps demanding a jumper and i keep refusing!

sorry. no help with a hat pattern. but i had to share.

i would definitely recommend a machine washable wool/ acrylic if he is anything like my so. the concept of handwashing anything really put him off receiving knitted gifts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elvenjuicebox

Falling on the wrong side of ignorance

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005 09:37:00 AM »

I'm thinking the curse is balogna too, i mean..if the relationship was really going well...a sweater wouldnt actually affect it, or a scarf for that matter. Currently I'm in the process of working out details on a blanket my boyfriend has "commissioned" me to make, while it did put some strain on us, now that we've struck a mild compromise, things are good, he's listening to me on the technical and I'm trying (so very hard, mind you) to listen to his design ideas. Just be observent, I wasnt afraid to ask if my SO wanted a scarf or sweater or beanie, he said that he's picky about most things, especially hats, so that was out. He wears shorts and hawaiian shirts year round (mostly) so the sweater was pretty much out. Just remember it's ok to ask..projects like that require some pretty open discussion or feelings could get hurt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fero
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2005 10:01:28 AM »

I dont think theres a curse but by the time Ive finished knitting the fella something i cant wait to give it him so i dont have to look at the goddam thing any more. Boy colours are dull! If only he liked pink! I just dont like the secrecy of pretending im not knitting anything when really im making a surprise for him. I just have to say its too hot to knit (in England?Huh) or im too poor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2005 10:14:59 AM »

I agree...to hell with the curse! My boyfriend appreciates everything I've made him and I don't get upset if he doesn't wear something. Plus I make sure he knows what I am making (except on birthdays and such) I know my boyfriend damn well enough to know if he wont like something. He has rules (ie. I wont ever make him a sweater because he doesnt like them to begin with anyway unless its a fine yarn) I have made him wrist warmers which he loves, a beanie (but we live in texas so its hot here most of the time)

A sure thing that I have made for him has been 2 blankets. One took forever to make and I dont advise it unless you know he will love it and you want to devote a long time to it. It's the size of a queen bed. I also crocheted him a lap blanket that was just a big crocheted granny square. He loves it. And he's always begging me to make him pillows.

I suggest if none of this has helped, to find a decal or something you know he likes and make it into an intarsia pattern or something and make a wristband (if he likes them), or...a stuffed animal perhaps? My boyfriend likes the idea of knitting a yoda. He might like a backpack? Maybe or a water bottle holder if he's athletic? Perhaps even a cozy little pack/cover for a cd player or mp3 player with an image or cool tribal or celtic deisng on it.

Just dont put too much time into something expecting a gasp of joy like a girl might do. Too many people expect too much of boyfriend's responses to stuff they make and that's their downfall. I just consider anything I make a learning experience and make sure and know what people like. Don't fall for the boyfriend curse. It's only for people who don't know the boy well enough or expect too much for the work. Or make something too big and ugly lol.

Hope I helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
apixiegrl
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2005 01:08:31 PM »

I've  been warned about the curse too. But every christmas i make my bf socks and he loves them. Every christmas for 3 years and we are still together. This year he has been hinting about some sweater patterns I've been looking at....like " ooo that one is actually nice, I would wear that"... so i'm thinking about it. Grin
I think u should make what ever u want.... if u break up after it's probably not because u knitted something but rather some other issue that has been going on.  Knit on....... and on...and on
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kid Rated. Mom Approved: Episode 3
Wool by Hugh Howey
Immortal Bird by Doron Weber
Julia Sweeney on Motherhood
Julie Sarkissian on Her Lead Character From Dear Lucy
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...