A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Auctioning ATCs?  (Read 2443 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kikigirl
Einstein was hot when he was young

Let's dance! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006 01:36:10 PM »

OY:
"That's what ACEO's are....ATC sized art that people sell instead of trade."

And then, would the people who bought the ACEOs just keep them? Or would they trade their ACEOs with other ACEO owners?
I thought ACEOs were basically ATCs Pokemon-cardified.
Because if ACEOs share nothing in common with ATCs except for size, I definitely agree that there is nothing wrong with selling them--that's what I meant by "ordinary art".

What I didn't understand was why people would buy ATCs (or ACEOs) and trade them with other people who bought ACEOs (hence my calling it "Pokemon cardified") 

If I was in fact wrong, and ACEOs are NOT meant to be traded, I then don't understand why people link it to ATCs and why people object to it. Just an art lover buying a card-sized piece of art from an artist--it has nothing to do with the concept of ATCs.

Hopefully I wasn't too unclear. Sorry to ask so many questions!  Lips sealed I'm new to the ATC thing itself, and I'd never even heard of ACEOs before this topic.

I have a friend that is mighty crafty and super artistic that bought an Aceo and had no idea what it was!  She just loved the art and felt great about purchasing it so cheap from Etsy.  She was no way trading it but keeping it.  Now she's introduced to ATC's in a wonderful way.  I LOVE the idea of both!!!  I think trading and ACEO are perfect.  The people who only trade are usually amazing artists and love to be able to trade for great art (which I do anyway on large pieces with my fellow artists) AND the people who want to make a little money can too.  I kind of like the controversy because that way it keeps it honest and people truly THINK about what their beliefs are before selling their art vs trading and the concept behind everything. 

Although people trading to just sell the artwork should be kicked really hard in the shins...that's just not honest because the really great artists are so willing to trade with newbies out of compassion and kindness and they're being taken advantage of.  The good news is that someone caught it. 

I guess, I think, that if you're trading for art with paper with dead presidents on it or paper with great art on it, what's the dif?  It all just represents gold.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

claustrophilia
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007 07:53:04 AM »

Hehe well I agree with you partly... but I never looked at any of this from a moral perspective... I don't think it's wrong to sell your art or whatever.

I just didn't "get" the point. But it doesn't really matter to me, as I won't really be buying or selling ATCs/ACEOs. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreamisle
ATCs are great!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2007 01:04:46 PM »

Maybe if a lot of people are opposed to selling the ATCs, we could have an ATC swap where you must pay a small entry fee/donation to join the swap. It would be like 50 cents for the first card and $1 per card after the first that you want to trade, but you'd be allowed to donate as much as you like if you want to give more than the minimum.

How would this idea sound?

Another cool idea I was just thinking about would be a anti-raffle for a different prize, like a small painting or some other piece of art, where you buy a raffle ticket (you can get rolls of them at Walmart or party supply places) and then the tickets would be used in an ATC, so even if you don't win the raffle you still get a lovely card.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade Paper
Library Due Date Card ATCs
I make handmade paper! PM me for trades!
I made a Pillow!
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2007 08:51:01 PM »

Another cool idea I was just thinking about would be a anti-raffle for a different prize, like a small painting or some other piece of art, where you buy a raffle ticket (you can get rolls of them at Walmart or party supply places) and then the tickets would be used in an ATC, so even if you don't win the raffle you still get a lovely card.

You could also set the cost of the ticket as $1 and an ATC, and sell refreshments (the ticket money and refreshments would fund your charity).  Then have a big ATC-picking free-for-all, where everyone got to take one card home with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stifflersmom
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sassy Britches

We are the people our parents warned us about....

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2007 10:17:46 PM »

Maybe if a lot of people are opposed to selling the ATCs, we could have an ATC swap where you must pay a small entry fee/donation to join the swap.
Just so no one is confused, no money can be exchanged in a Craftster swap. I'm sure that's not what you meant, but as a swap mod, I had to say it. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As you sew, so shall you rip. Don't fear the ripper.
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2007 10:24:20 PM »

It's totally *not* what I meant.  paradisecrane started this thread to try and come up with a way to use ATCs to raise money for a charity at her college.  I thought that's what Dreamisle was referring to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stifflersmom
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sassy Britches

We are the people our parents warned us about....

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2007 09:18:08 AM »

That's what I thought, but in case another member was just scanning thru the posts I wanted to clarify. No worries.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As you sew, so shall you rip. Don't fear the ripper.
dreamisle
ATCs are great!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2007 01:25:37 PM »

I didn't quite know about that rule, but the idea can apply to a college group or any other scenario just the same. An alternative could be presenting a certificate or receipt of the donation as a means to enter the swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade Paper
Library Due Date Card ATCs
I make handmade paper! PM me for trades!
I made a Pillow!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Dazzling Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
Hummingbird Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
How to Make Crunchy and Sweet Honey-Hazelnut Treats
Sparkling Cranberries
Perfect Pie Crust
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...