A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 304,013
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Auctioning ATCs?  (Read 2575 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

claustrophilia
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006 06:19:02 AM »

Original Youth, why not sell just ordinary art? You could even make ATC-sized paintings/collages whatever and sell it, and call it pooky or something. But I just think that either selling or buying ATCs (whatever you may call them) sort of defeats the whole purpose of the project. I mean, it is sort of a project-- a really huge, continuous joint project. Smiley

And I don't understand why people who don't like MAKING ATCs would BUY ATCs. I think the two HAVE TO go together. Think of it this way: if you buy an ATC, yet you don't like making (and thus, trading) ATCs, you're missing out on a really crucial part of the ATC experience. Then when you buy an ATC, you're not really buying an ATC, you're just buying a piece of artwork for yourself.

Does anyone get what I'm trying to say? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006 06:24:21 AM »

You could even make ATC-sized paintings/collages whatever and sell it,
That's what ACEO's are....ATC sized art that people sell instead of trade.

And I don't understand why people who don't like MAKING ATCs would BUY ATCs.

Because most of the world can't create art, but most of them appreciate art.  It's Letting NON-artists have some of the beautiful things themselves!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eloiseinmoscow
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006 08:20:56 AM »

Wow, big ball of wax!

I am trying to think of something that could be done involving ATCs that would support a charitable cause and give people the experience of making and trading cards, in the spirit of why ATCs were thought up.

Perhaps as part of a fund-raiser, one could make a table with basic low-skill-required art & craft materials available - stamp pads, a couple stamps, markers, coloured paper, gift wrap, pictures with themes related to the charity, glue, scissors - and a sheet with info about the idea of ATCs, and say:

"here's a table for making artist trading cards & if you want to pay as you can for some materials, you can make a card now, and trade it with someone else at the table (or for a card pre-made by the organizers that looks simple & quick to make), that would be a fun thing to do."

That way the money would not be for getting a card, but for the availability of materials that let you have the fun of making a card right then & there rather than having to wait till you get home.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please pm me if you'd like to trade ATCs!
OriginalYouth

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006 08:56:23 AM »

If you wanted to have an ATC event that is also a fundraiser, this is what I would do.

Have each ATC artist that wants to be involved donate one card.  Put the cards together in groups of 9 cards.  Sell tickets for $1 each, and RAFFLE them off, and pick winners that would recieve a set of cards.

Sell these things:
-Pre-printed labels for the backs of the cards
-Cut scrapbook papers and/or cardstock (get the BIG packs on sale or use a coupon) into ATC size, to use as backgrounds.
-Print t-shirts with an ATC logo
-Cut matboard to have a 2.5x3.5" window, sell those
-Get some bulk packs of clear plastic sleeves, 9-pocket sleeves, 3ring binders and sell those individually
-Sell decks of playing cards (buy in bulk and sell for 1$)
-Make "ATC starter kits" with 10 bases, and added fun embellishments like photo corners, brads, ribbon, vellum, etc.  (AlteredMommy has GREAT ideas for these kits) and a little sheet with info/RULES/places to swap ATCs
-Have embellishment mystery grab bags for $1.  include papers, ribbons, yarn scraps, stickers, glue sticks, brads, google eyes, etc.!  Just put several items in a lunch sack so people don't know what surprises lurk inside!
-Sell coffee, sodas, lemonade and cookies, etc for cheap.

Technically you shouldn't charge for ATC events/swaps, but this would allow you to make some cash, while allowing the spirit of ATC swapping to not be squashed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

paradisecrane
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2006 10:33:46 AM »

Thanks for the handy ideas guys!  I really like what you suggested OY.  I think I'll try that! 

As for auctioning the individual ATCs I think thats out.  I was on the fence: not in the spirit of ATC vs. Its for a charity.  But I do have great suggestions for alternate things to sell!  So I'll go with the alternate!! 

Thanks you guys~

Oh and feel free to debate the issue further...if you feel so compelled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone want to swap ATCs?
Visit my shop!
http://applearabesque.etsy.com/
OriginalYouth

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2006 10:35:12 AM »

Oh and feel free to debate the issue further...if you feel so compelled.
Thanks for bringing up a GREAT (albeit controversial) topic.  I love hearing people's opinions on this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patti M

Formerly known as pjmclnj!

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006 02:12:47 PM »

Hey OY- I think your art ROCKS!, but I have said it before. As to the sale of ATC's - I don't like it- but that's just me- it's one of the great fundamental rights about this countr that we all get to agree or disagree with each other, and still love each other! Pretty neat don't ya think?
I recently met an ATCer in Ohio while out there for a wedding, she wanted to sell her work so what she did was alter the size a bit so they weren't standard ATC size. She made hers 3x5 and they sold like hotcakes at the fair she was selling at, that way she felt she wasn't pushing the boundaries of the swap rule of ATC's, yet it was still pocket sized art. I even bought a piece- it's a watercolor- very conceptual!
Just an idea, because I know a lot of artists would like to sell their art- it's how we stay alive and creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Favorites-http://www.etsy.com/people/pjmclnj/favorites?ref=si_fav
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pjmclnj
Selise
Out Of Control ATC'er

So In Love - 1 Year Together 22 Feb

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2006 05:08:43 PM »

I make art and sell it, and I make ATC's and only trade them.

Personally, ATC's are only for Trade, I would never ever sell them, that's not the original purpose of the cards.

I've made a few ATCs that I would love to make into art prints, especially my digital ones, but I haven't done that.  I believe, especially being a digital artist as well as an ATC maker, that if I were to make digital art it would be based upon the idea of an ATC.  I could also enlarge or change the image as pjmclnj suggested to make them smaller works of art.  I have sold smaller art prints, around 4x6 but I wouldn't make ATCs for sale.

*re-read but that still sounds confusing even to me*
Basically:
I will sell ART
I will NOT sell ATCS
I will only TRADE ATC's
THIS ROCKS   Logged

claustrophilia
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2006 10:32:35 PM »

OY:
"That's what ACEO's are....ATC sized art that people sell instead of trade."

And then, would the people who bought the ACEOs just keep them? Or would they trade their ACEOs with other ACEO owners?
I thought ACEOs were basically ATCs Pokemon-cardified.
Because if ACEOs share nothing in common with ATCs except for size, I definitely agree that there is nothing wrong with selling them--that's what I meant by "ordinary art".

What I didn't understand was why people would buy ATCs (or ACEOs) and trade them with other people who bought ACEOs (hence my calling it "Pokemon cardified") 

If I was in fact wrong, and ACEOs are NOT meant to be traded, I then don't understand why people link it to ATCs and why people object to it. Just an art lover buying a card-sized piece of art from an artist--it has nothing to do with the concept of ATCs.

Hopefully I wasn't too unclear. Sorry to ask so many questions!  Lips sealed I'm new to the ATC thing itself, and I'd never even heard of ACEOs before this topic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaos
A random assortment of artistic delicacies.

Photo editors are dangerous...

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006 12:31:35 PM »

I think ATC should only be traded bc I'm poor and it's the only was I can acquire awesome artowork to decorate my lame white apartment walls with Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
JD and Rebecca Show Some Incredible Sand Art
How to Organize Arts and Crafts Supplies Like a Pro
DIY Bachelorette Party Gift Idea
How to Makeover Your Dresser Using Wallpaper
Julie Chu: Learn from Your Mistakes
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...