A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
433 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: thrift store scraps into lots of hats! - UPDATED! (again)  (Read 69861 times)
Tags for this thread: monster , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leethal
« on: December 07, 2006 07:37:21 PM »

update on feb.15th: i've just release a zine, called do stuff!, which includes a tutorial on the monster hat (with teeth).  you can see it here: http://www.coloredlights.net/leethal/zine/issues/ including the hat pages!

update with more hats and tutorial at the end!!

i didn't mean for that subject to rhyme... oops.  anyway, these hats were all made from sweatshirts, sweaters, and t-shirts rescued from various thrift stores.  i made them for an upcoming craft show (bazaar bizarre LA woo!) so i would really appreciate feedback about which designs are your favorites, so i can try to whip out somemore before the big day.

i'll write up more details about how they were made if people want, but i think they are pretty self-explanatory... cut a sweatshirt (or whatever) into a box shape if you want ears, or a rounded hat shape if not (but this is harder - ears are eeeasy!), sew it up, and add whatever ya want.  with a large sweatshirt, the arm works perfectly, with the bottom of the hat being the part closest to the armpit (of course you will wash it first!)  the teeth are made from felt... i don't know what else to add.  so, here they are:

sweater sleeve with t-shirt eyes

sweatshirts with crocheted eyes

t-shirts with drawstring tie through the sleeve edge for the top

2 sweaters

sweatshirt with yarn stitching

sweater with buttons and yarn stitching

t-shirt with machine-sewn face

sweatshirt with a sock cut into the snake

sweatshirts and a t-shirt

ok that's all of em, whadya think?  thanks for any feedback!!

UPDATE:

ok so the craft show was over awhile ago - it went well!  thanks for all the rad feedback, i really appreciate it!!

i made a couple more based on the advice you guys gave me, and limited by the time i had...

2 sweaters

sweaters with yellow t-shirt eyes and a sweatshirt beak

(i also made some matching mitts and other things, but this is a hat post...)

oh, just a note: my descriptions under the pictures are not what i call the hats, they are letting you know what materials i used so you can figure out how to recreate them if you wish to.  (my hat names are things like "colorful owl eyes hat" and "bulging eye monster hat")

ok so someone asked for a tutorial for the owl hat, so i made one up for ya.  first, here are bigger versions of the pictures so you can better see what it looks like and the tutorial will make more sense (hopefully!)...

you'll need:  a large sweater, some scrap fabric in different colors, either a sewing machine or needle+thread, possibly yarn+big needle if you want to hand-stitch like i did, seam ripper, scissors (duh)

the shape of this hat (high on the forehead, long in back) and the little beaky point in the front came from the natural shape of the sweater sleeve when detached at the shoulder seam.  (i took the sweater apart planning to cut it into a normal hat shape, but was happily surprised at the unique shape i'd discovered.)  if your sweater won't come apart neatly, you can sew around to keep it from unraveling, but hopefully you'll be lucky like i was and won't have to.

ok i hope that all makes sense, let me know if something is confusing...

i think that was probably the least self-explanatory of all the hats, but if you really want a tutorial for another one i'll try to post one.  (i am actually starting a zine that will have some how-to's for hats and other things, i plan to release the first issue february 1st if you're interested...)

thanks again for all the great comments and i'm soo glad to be inspiring so many crafters to make their own wacky hats!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013 10:54:31 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

leethal.net + leemeredith.com
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006 08:02:18 PM »

the panda, the snake, and the head-eating monsters! yeah!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vampirategurrl08
I'm kind of a big deal.

That's how I roll!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006 09:31:16 PM »

ooooh those are so creative and fun! rock on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Torn apart at the seams and my dreams turn to tears.

http://www.wists.com/kyy08
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006 09:46:33 PM »

You just can't not have any fun when you see them! Great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batspit
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006 09:52:31 PM »

I like "sweater sleeve with t-shirt eyes", it kinda reminds me of an owl, and it looks very wearable... and I'm a nut for color. very creative, i love recycled clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006 10:03:39 PM »

wow supre creative .. awesome !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*Bliss*

How Precious....:)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006 03:04:20 AM »

OMG....

I love  hats.

I especially love insane hats.

If you ever get a chance to post instructions....I would be eternally grateful. I tried to envision making them from the description below...but since I'm *extremely new* at sewing....

Heheh. All I could envision was a big blob of fabric sitting on my floor.  Roll Eyes

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bancher
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006 04:18:21 AM »

wow!  i LOVE the grey and red one!  and would really love you forever if you explained that process a little, cause i cant see any stitching anywhere!

but, yeah, the grey one, the snake, the octopus, and owl are my choices.

(hmmm, i just realized, you arnt going to find any help from us, unless you add all the votes and go for highest number, cause all of them are great!!!)

jenny
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neekie

gauge schmauge.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006 05:35:52 AM »

Those are awesome!!!!!!!!!!! I love all the monster ones!! and the owl and panda one!! I prefer the sweater ones over the tshirt hats though, they look a lil thin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ranchgirl
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006 05:41:14 AM »

snake, the owly one, and the monsters are my faves!  great job and good luck at bizarre bazaar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Set New Catalog
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Setup Preferences
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Create and Place a Catalog
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Customize Preferences
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Export and Share Images
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...