A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,363
Currently Running With Scissors:
451 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Toiletbag for my father  (Read 29740 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Queen of the Savages
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006 08:40:19 PM »

It looks so classy but I think even I could make one!!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brubendall
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006 11:11:40 PM »

...Yo must make the fold in picture 5 equal on both sides, otherwise the bag will be skew...

So true, so true.  I thought mine was even, but it must have been ever so slightly off.  Really should have practiced on something other than Amy Butler fabric!  Oh well, i guess I get to keep this one for myself!

Thanks SO MUCH for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lizabethdesign.etsy.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizabethdesign/

Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.
foolily
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006 12:18:42 AM »

so cute! ...and manly enough at the same time... Cheesy
I just started sewing a couple of weeks ago so this tut is perfect in difficulty and timing for xmas...  thanks for posting!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006 12:20:29 AM by foolily » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alvan
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006 12:26:54 AM »

Thanks everyone!

Okay, kudos on a very well-crafted toiletry bag, but I have to give kudos to your dad for being named Ulf.  Apart from sounding cool, it has much more visual appeal than, say, Harold (my dad's name Smiley )
or Herman Sad  (my dad AND little brother's names) lol

Though I made my bro an apron for christmas and put "Herm" on the front, which looks a bit cooler than "Herman" hehe

Ulf is way better than Herman

Grin I think it also depends where you live. Ulf is not a very popular name here in Sweden right now, but I think it will be in a couple of years Smiley And Harold or Herman can look very cool whit the right font. And the font I used for Ulf makes both of them look great I think, look here:

It looks so classy but I think even I could make one!!  Kiss
I'm sure you can!

...Yo must make the fold in picture 5 equal on both sides, otherwise the bag will be skew...

So true, so true.  I thought mine was even, but it must have been ever so slightly off.  Really should have practiced on something other than Amy Butler fabric!  Oh well, i guess I get to keep this one for myself!

Thanks SO MUCH for the tute!

Can't you just get rid of the two last seams and make them again? It's to bad to waist good looking fabric. And it probably don't look half as bad as you think. Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged
brubendall
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006 08:37:35 AM »

Can't you just get rid of the two last seams and make them again? It's to bad to waist good looking fabric. And it probably don't look half as bad as you think. Wink

I suppose I could, but I also went so far as to sew down the pleats on the ends, then I sewed a pintuck edge onto each corner along the length (running the same length as the zipper).  So it would put a lot of miles on my seam ripper!  Smiley  The skew-ed-ness wasn't so obvious until I did these extra steps.  I don't mind keeping this one for myself.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lizabethdesign.etsy.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizabethdesign/

Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.
alvan
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006 08:48:15 AM »

I suppose I could, but I also went so far as to sew down the pleats on the ends, then I sewed a pintuck edge onto each corner along the length (running the same length as the zipper).  So it would put a lot of miles on my seam ripper!  Smiley  The skew-ed-ness wasn't so obvious until I did these extra steps.  I don't mind keeping this one for myself.  Smiley

That puts the hole thing in a different light, better to keep it, then Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaz2phreek
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2006 09:49:28 AM »

Once again, you are awesome. Very simple but it looks so awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
IBMon
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2006 09:40:18 PM »

I love your tutorial and I will have to try this!!  I'm actualy in need of a new toiletries bag for myself and this is just fantastic!!  Thank you so much for the tutorial!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Starry Eyed Surprise....
bag_lady
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2006 07:25:53 AM »

Thank you so much for the tutorial! I tried to make one yesterday.  It came out ok.  It's not stiff enough to stand up properly.  I used vinyl for the outer fabric and a cotton for the inside.  I think I'll try a heavy interfacing for the lining next time. The only thing I'm worried about is my machine not being able to sew through too many heavy fabrics, it barely made it with this one.  Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alvan
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2006 11:37:16 AM »

Your welcome Smiley and thanks!

Thank you so much for the tutorial! I tried to make one yesterday.  It came out ok.  It's not stiff enough to stand up properly.  I used vinyl for the outer fabric and a cotton for the inside.  I think I'll try a heavy interfacing for the lining next time. The only thing I'm worried about is my machine not being able to sew through too many heavy fabrics, it barely made it with this one.  Thanks again!
I hold my thumbs (A Swedish expresion thats means the same thing that you mean when you say " cross one's fingers") that you make it through all the layers Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Freeze Out Winter Skin Issues
Liquid Eyeliner Made Easy
Christian Louboutin Unveils New "Starlight" Nail Polish
Jamie Greenberg Shows Us Her Boudoir
Would You Rather Beauty Questions
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...