A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: marble magnet disaster!  (Read 1638 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tracymarie
« on: December 07, 2006 06:19:23 AM »

Ugh, I made about 110 marble magnets yesterday and just about every single stinkin' one of them dried with HUGE air bubbles!! What the heck am I supposed to do? I guess I will just have to take them all apart and redo them... I am very sad and angry right now  Embarrassed Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006 06:22:46 AM »

Feelin' your marble magnet pain, sister. When you re-do them, use a bone folder or something similar to get the bubbles our before they dry...also there's a remote possibility you just use sucky glue...so re-do a small batch (10-ish) for your sanity's sake.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tracymarie
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006 06:41:15 AM »

Thanks for the tip! I initially glued the picture to the magnet (which were also smaller than they were supposed to be by a couple millimeters, don't know if that might have something to do with it), and then the marble to the picture and magnet. I think this time I will try gluing the picture to the marble first and then glue that to the magnet....

I used e6000, so I doubt it's the glue  Grin

But any ideas on how to get them apart & the glue off would be appreciated Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006 01:45:44 AM »

Got more pictures? If so toss them in boiling water for awile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006 08:40:36 AM »

Got more pictures? If so toss them in boiling water for awile.
Yum...marble glue soup! Remember to use one of your "only for crafting, not for food" pans.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tracymarie
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006 01:36:02 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions! I went ahead and kept some of the not-too-bubbly ones that were acceptable, and redid about 30. I had enough leftover supplies that I didn't have to boil anything, but I kept the botched ones so I can do that later without feeling bad about wasting money Smiley

So, I am going to retry probably tonight. I think my main error was sticking the picture to the magnet first and then attaching the marble. I will stick them to the marble first and THEN the magnet this time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006 04:08:19 PM »

U guys have craft only pots? I feel bad now. The only thing in this house that gets its own pot is the fish. (pet fish). I tend to boil things in a huge soup kettle thats used for boiling fish stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006 04:45:02 PM »

U guys have craft only pots? I feel bad now. The only thing in this house that gets its own pot is the fish. (pet fish). I tend to boil things in a huge soup kettle thats used for boiling fish stuff.
Some of my crafty endeavors are human-toxic...and some just put funny tastes in the food. Anyhoo, my craft pans come from garage sales & I mark  NON FOOD ONLY on the outside with a sharpie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chelseachip
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007 01:00:13 PM »

Try a silicon adhesive.  I don't believe the one you used is.  Try something like thishttp://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=gc0274.  It's not the brand I used but it looks similar.   

FYI I adhered the paper to the magnet using a toothpick to spread out the adhesive then put a small glob of adhesive on the marble then pressed it firmly to the magnet.  I had no problems with bubbles. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007 10:25:02 AM »

I'm confuzzled.  How can you get bubbles in a marble magnet? Here's what I do for perfection each time  Grin  (not to sound snotty)
...Use Mod Podge!  I have Gloss and Matte finishes.  Just put a tiny dab on the marble itself, smear it til it looks barely milky white (almost clear), add picture, let it dry about 2-3 minutes, add lots of Mod Podge to the back of it to "seal it."

It dries crystal clear and looks great every time.

I hope that helps  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Tissue Flowers
How to Make a Bag Out of Paper
How to Make a Felted Fabric Sandwich
How to Create a Memory Map Board
How to Sew a Purse Organizer
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...