A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
400 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Buyer Turn Ons  (Read 4944 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« on: December 06, 2006 11:33:09 PM »

Since we have a topic on Buyer Turn Offs, I thought we should also find out what people like about buying.

For me it is many things, but to sum it up: Attention to detail & Customer Service

These two things can go a long way to making me return to a shop. Even if there are little bumps in the sellers road, if they can show me positive signs in these two areas, I will most likely return to there shop.

As a seller I try very hard to make these two things my priorty. I do that by:
  • good communication
  • show appreciation for business
  • little extras that say the customer is important
  • follow through on my promises
There are several other things, but this is my short list. Wink

Any one else have thing they look for in buying from others? What do you do to keep your customers coming back?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FineGirl
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006 11:48:02 AM »

Fast replies to convos. That makes me think someone actually cares about what is going on in thier shop and about me as a customer. And clear descriptions with materials used, measurements etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SweetFeltAlive
Riviera

Riviera

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006 10:27:51 PM »

I second the fast replies.  It shows me they care about our deal and their bussiness.  Prompt feedback always makes me feel good too.  I like it when they want to let others know I am good for my money and getting it to them on time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/razzberrieicee  (personal page)

Working on a craft myspace and etsy.
liasaun1
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006 09:03:55 AM »

- Good descriptions which really describe the item as completely as the pictures
- well priced items (that means the price is higher than the shipping, and it's not vastly overpriced)
- An attractive banner on the front page
- Easy-to-navigate sections with obvious titles

As a seller I also try to
- give little freebies and gifts with my items just to make buyers feel special Smiley
- make my packaging look professional and attractive
- name my items in a catchy way that gives an idea of what they look like even before clicking
- make buyers aware of any imperfect items and discount the price accordingly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://omglia.com
Funky & colorful jewelry, clothing, &accessories
http://omgliastash.etsy.com
Destash and supply! Bead and charm lots!
My Blog!
rosali

English Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006 09:06:24 AM »

-Clear pictures (ie light things taken against dark background and vice versa, non-messy backgrounds).
-Fair shipping costs (eg I'm in the UK where it costs about $1.80 to send 100g shipped from the US yet sellers have quoted me $6 to ship a 25g lipbalm).
-A thank you note inside the package.
-Things not smelling of smoke.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006 06:58:52 PM »

Sellers who have great follow-up. Smiley

*If I make a purchase and a seller then later (even after feedback has been exchanged), contacts me to see if I am pleased with my purchase, that says they want my input as well as return business.

*This week I received a holiday card from someone I bought from, and inside was a discount for a purchase. That is something special to spend the money to send out, not to mention keep track of addresses for mailing.

Both of these shops will be seeing me again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susa_cn
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006 05:17:25 PM »

That's all good ideas.My shop just like turnoff...maybe i should ad everywhere i pass
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love crochet amigurumi...
http://susa.etsy.com
matilou
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008 12:53:33 PM »

hello !
I'm very new to this forum, and it seems really interesting !
I was also went reading the "don' t "  and for example bad english ........ and mine is so bad ........ I know I'm french and people might understand, but might not even get to the point where they look from where I am .......
anyway, this thread is really helping !
thanks !

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008 02:41:51 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nospaces
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008 06:08:26 PM »

-A thank you note inside the package.

This makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. As a buyer, I feel special when a seller takes the time to acknowledge me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008 03:02:03 PM »

Communication. Communication. Communication.

That really means a lot to me. I always appreciate a convo from an etsy seller with a quick "thank you" after I have made a purchase. To me it just shows maturity and that I'm dealing with a good seller.

The second thing I ever bought off etsy was a ring at about $100.00 with shipping. It arrived in my PO box without prior communication, poorly packaged in an envelope and severely bent. Luckily I opened it in my car so I went back in to the Post Office and mailed it back. I e mailed the seller when I got home telling her what happened and requesting a refund. When I noticed the damaged ring, I thought I might be out the money because I had no prior communication with this person and I was afraid she may not refund me as there was no insurance purchased.

In the end she refunded everything including shipping and even offered to refund what it cost to send it back to her. She handled the refund very professionally and was very friendly.

Had she sent me a prior convo and seemed friendly I would have probably taken her up on her offer of a replacement vs a refund. She lost a customer and I actually told her why in a convo. She apologized stated she was sorry I had a poor experience. Really in the end she was very nice and really makes some unique jewelry. But because of the poor communication, she lost a customer. Bottom line.

I just bought some earrings. The seller sent me a convo to state she felt she over charged me on the shipping (her shop is new) and if I purchased again shipping would be free. Nice!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008 03:04:19 PM by Teresa_T » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shelin20
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012 08:41:59 AM »

I made a sale last night and got a desperate email from the buyer stating that she really needed the item by tomorrow, the shipping was listed as $5 and this wonderful woman sent me the money to have it overnighted (which was her idea and I thought to be only fair since I charged her exact price for shipping and there is no etsy fees on shipping).
but anyway I told you that to say this
she seemed really happy that at 10pm at night I was willing to pack the item up and get it shipped to her this morning. I've noticed some places are pretty strict on shipping and such and it seems odd to me if they're willing to pay the extra then yeah stay up a little late make an extra trip (the post office cant be that far away) or invest in flat rate boxes etc for your mailman. People can ran to Walmart at 3 am and buy a bracelet etc but they come to etsy for an item because they want the handmade motif. I know most people who sell are hybrid crafter/business people but the business part can be almost more important at times. I guess what I'm babbling on about is the nicer and more accommodating (to a point of course) you are the happier they seem. Plus try to find out what the buyer wants it for, mine is wearing her item to a tennis tournament so I sent extra business cards so she can hand them out if she choses when she gets her dress noticed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/people/CommodityOddity
Find everything and anything of whimsy in my etsy
Use code ODDBALL for 15% off!
http://yardsellr.com/yardsale/Steph-Helin-598297
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012 11:01:00 AM »

Some things I look for:
good descriptions/tags/key words (I hate when they don't relate to the item just to get hits)
pictures of the actual item being sold
appropriate shipping costs
communication from the seller (I like to hear when it's been shipped especially because I've had packages be held up at customs before)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
madhatterdesign
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012 12:54:31 PM »

Sellers who have great follow-up. Smiley

*If I make a purchase and a seller then later (even after feedback has been exchanged), contacts me to see if I am pleased with my purchase, that says they want my input as well as return business.

*This week I received a holiday card from someone I bought from, and inside was a discount for a purchase. That is something special to spend the money to send out, not to mention keep track of addresses for mailing.

Both of these shops will be seeing me again.

I really like the idea of the holiday cards : )

I think I might give it a try.

Lots of great advice in this thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ellie_be
FertLover

www. PeaceandPlastic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013 05:50:28 PM »

This is all very helpful as I'm opening my own shop soon.

For me it is really important that they really describe the item in the listing.  If I have to take the extra step to email them to ask a question that should probably be answered already in the description then sometimes I just pass. Lazy?  A little - but sometimes I want to buy things now and if I have to wait then I can talk myself out of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm an artist, I make shit.

I was on my way to the market to buy a loaf of bread, when all of the sudden...
craftdabbler UK

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014 10:50:25 AM »

I know I am joining in very late, but as someone who likes buying online I feel qualified to answer this thread.

The big thing for me information. I want LOTS of information. ALL the relevant details, not the trade secrets! This varies item to item but in general is more than many online sellers give.

I want a good picture, or even several pictures of the item - the ACTUAL item - that I am buying.

I bought a pendant made of turquoise which was lovely in the photo and had nice markings in the stone. When it arrived, it was not the same pendant and I didn't like it. That shop owner agreed to refund my money. Now, I know that natural items like gemstones do vary but why was the photo not of the actual pendant?

Also, post and packing charges should be reasonable. I understand postage can be costly, and packaging adds up but really, some sellers are trying it on with their shipping costs.

And don't get me started on that whole "convo me for details" business!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Jaws Slot Machine
The Sopranos Progressive Slot Machine
The 7 Point 7 Craps Bet
The Oasis 360 Slot Machine
Guster Serenade Rhiannon
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...