A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 301,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: plastisol inks  (Read 1084 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lizzybethdotnet
« on: December 06, 2006 03:13:52 PM »

I was wondering...
Is there a way to clean screens used with plastisol inks?  I'm pretty sure that's the type we're using at school, they're all oily, look like tar, smell a bit, and have to be cured at 350F.  It just bothers be so much to throw away a perfectly good screen because it has plastisol ink on it... :/.

And, for clarification, I don't want to reclaim the screen.  I just want to get the ink off so I can bring is home and reuse it with my waterbased inks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sagoz
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006 04:29:33 PM »

I spray mine with Simple Green and wipe. I get off what I can, and for what I can't I take out the hose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
entriq
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006 10:58:05 PM »

You can certainly remove and clean the ink out of a screen used with plastisol inks.

However, the emulsions or other stencil method used for creating stencils for use with plastisol might not work with water based ink.  You might want to take a look at the emulsion you are using and see if it is usable with water based inks.  One problem you can get is that the emulsion will start breaking down as you print.  Another is that the emulsion cross-links and becomes impossible to remove from the fabric so it can no longer be reclaimed. 

You can always experiment with a screen or two to see how well it works out for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

entriq
missalina
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007 10:39:35 PM »

Plastisol sucks! Sad  Ok, not really, but it is really messy and gross and somehow gets EVERYWHERE, in places your screen didn't even come near!

Anyway, like Sagoz, I use Simple Greenl.  Just spray it on, let it sit for a little while, then wipe.  That gets most of it off, then you can try and rinse it out a little more. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bradbane
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007 12:47:54 PM »

simple green doesn't work very well. plastisol can be cleaned up with any solvent. i would try mineral spirits (clean it off in a well ventilated area). use a spray bottle to spray it on, scrub it with a rag, and then use a hose or pressure washer to blast it off. should come out no problem.

i've been using plastisol for 5-6 years and have always used mineral spirits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.weareindustry.org -> clothing, bags, art.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kamran Pasha Talks About Mother of the Believers
The Fruit of Her Hands Book Trailer
Meet Dr. Michael Murray and Dr. Michael Lyon
Erik Rees Talks About Only You Can Be You
Maya Sloan Talks About High Before Homeroom
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...