A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,570
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harriet the Spy!  (Read 588 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jemlunchbox

Chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny.

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2006 04:14:37 PM »

I love love love Harriet the Spy, and I always wanted to be her when I was a kid.  I was obsessed with notebooks and spying, but I never could get myself to love tomatoes though I desperately wanted to.  Ah...  sadness.  Yep, so I ran across this picture of Harriet today, and I'm inspired to incorporate this into some sort of wonderful crafty project.  Any ideas?

Also, any thoughts on how this could be made into a stencil?  The lines are awfully small, but I think the general image would look fabulous.

IMPORTANT UPDATE:  I just made myself a tomato sandwich for dinner, and I must say it wasn't terrible.  It's actually pretty tasty with salt, pepper, a little mayo, and a couple slices of cheese (oh so healthy).  YES!  Now I really CAN be Harriet the Spy.  Oh sweet rapture!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006 04:46:20 PM by jemlunchbox » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaded
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006 04:31:39 PM »

One might suppose you could make it more blockish and stencil friendly... It's one thing (I think a slightly crazy thing) to attempt cutting out such a thinly lined design, but then you'd have to stick it down straight, and not let the paint bleed, and then get it off... I don't think it would be very friendly.

There might be some potential with it as a silkscreened number, but then you'd likely have an especially high risk of smudging.

I, as a non stenciller mind you, would say your best bet would be to trace or print or somesuch the image onto transfery paper, like quilters or embroiderers do, and then hand paint it yourself on whatever it is. 

Iron on transfer paper also comes to mind, if you want to be speedy.

But then I don't know what it is you want to stencil, so...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erinsonyabean
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006 04:45:24 PM »

you could always put her on the cover of a handmade notebook
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006 05:54:40 PM »

Oh, the nostalgia!! This was one of my favorite books as a kid, and I just recently bought another copy to re-read.

Instead of a stencil, you might want to try carving it as a rubber stamp (I might have to try it myself!). If you make a photocopy of the image and iron it onto a carving block (like Staedtler Master Carve), you'll have an excellent image to start with.

Then, using an exacto knife, CAREFULLY pre-cut around the lines (this makes it much simpler to carve out the pieces later). Then, using a set of Speedball carving tools (they come in a pretty inexpensive set- 1 handle, with interchangable tips), carefully carve out the rubber that isn't printed on.

It might take a bit of time and patience, but then you could stamp it on a whole bunch of things (some stampers say, "If it doesn't move, stamp it!"), especially since there are so many inks available (even fabric inks).

I think I might have to bookmark this so I can "borrow" the image!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006 12:39:20 PM »

Nostalgia here too! As already suggested, a notebook would be the best place for this image. Another place might be a gray hooded sweatshirt like Harriet wore.

Hmm...I'm picturing this image printed on a fabric square for a small quilt, along with a square for Nancy Drew and one for that silhouette of Amelia Peabody...but there I run out of recognizable fictional females I'd want on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
jemlunchbox

Chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006 01:56:16 PM »

Matilda and Eloise might be fun on a quilt, too.  I love these ideas.  Keep brainstorming!  I think right now I'm loving the notebook idea.  I must work on this.

Perhaps if I make the image into an iron-on it would be cool on a bag?  Embroidered also, maybe?

Yay yay for Harriet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scatter Kincaid
Keeping It Crafty Since 1983

One Girl. One Obsession. Many Crafts.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006 06:07:34 PM »

if you were wanting to transfer the image to fabric, there was an AMAZING idea on the stencil board a while back.

it's simple, easy and works great for stuff you don't want to cut by hand but must have on your shirt.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=135134.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shoot Landscapes with Your Digital Camera
How to Shoot Close-ups in Macro Mode
How to Shoot at Night Without Flash
How to Prevent Red Eye
How to Take Pictures with a Changing Sun
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...