A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,685
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: coffee to dye jeans?  (Read 6483 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skaad
« on: January 05, 2004 05:58:39 PM »

A while back, I read something about using a combination of coffee and RIT dye to give your jeans that oh-so-trendy "dirty" look.  Does anyone have more specific directions?  I have some crappy old jeans at home and was going to experiment a little, but actual advice would be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004 12:24:41 AM »

sorry, can't really help you with that one... the only thing like that i've ever done is dye white feathers with tea bags  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
abricot
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004 01:19:06 AM »

http://www.getcrafty.com/read/craft/features/denim/

I found that after a search on google.. I couldn't remember where I saw it before, but here it be... The directions seem pretty detailed and they also list other ways to dye jeans...

I might just go dye a pair myself... hmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
skaad
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004 12:06:40 PM »

thanks rox!  this was actually the article I was looking for - I couldn't find it when I searched getcrafty, but I was looking at glitter, not the articles.  Okie, time to go find me some RIT dye...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CelebrateMistakes
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004 07:45:20 PM »

i once dyed my jeans using just plain ol' coffee i stuck 15 pots of regular drip coffee into my tub and let the jeans soke i forgot how long it took :-/ but it worked great i just let them air dry when they looked "dirty" enough for my liking and then ironed them to kinda heat set the dye but i guess a dryer would work or even a hair dryer Tongue

i hope that made sense
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbian7
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004 12:09:26 PM »

I once tie-dyed some fabric using red onion skins on top of the stove (boiling water) and then set the dye with a vinegar wash.  Turned out great (it was a project for a textiles class)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chikki sixx
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004 03:12:49 PM »

did the coffee stain the bathtub?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schquimpy
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004 05:29:10 PM »

coffee and tea are perfect for dipping the color of stuff down. i love doing it. tea definitely works well. and if you wanted you could dye your jeans in the sun! i haven't used coffee much, but i now i might try it out.  

did the coffee dye stay or has it since faded?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

somewhere my vocational guidance counselor is laughing hysterically
Fallen_Skittles

Taste the Rainbow!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2004 12:20:48 PM »

you can dye jeans in the sun? does that fade them of sumthing? Also, i was wondering if the dye would totally stain your tub or w/e u may be using to dye? this sounds interesting, but idk if my mother would let me if it stains anything. But i am really interested in learning more about the whole dying your jeans in the sun thing....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In my feild of paper flowers
and candy clouds of lullaby
I lie inside myself for hours
and watch my purple sky fly over me
~Evanescence, Whisper
schquimpy
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2004 01:10:23 PM »

well i thought maybe you could do your jeans like sun tea. still using the tea and water and the sun, just adding the jeans.

but if you're gonna use rit dye you'll have to do it in the machine or over the stove. either way, i would recommend liquid dye. it should minimize mess. the powder gets into the air and all over everything. and once it gets wet, it shows  up on things and it can be bad. but either way make sure to wash everything when you're done. and use bleach where possible. it is dye, so it will dye! which means apparantly you will die at your mother's hand

and the tea can be washed off with soap, but again i've never used coffee to dye so i'm not sure how hard it is to clean up
THIS ROCKS   Logged

somewhere my vocational guidance counselor is laughing hysterically
chikki sixx
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2004 04:15:55 PM »

I had that get crafty page bookmarked, but now it's gone,  *waaaaaaa*, does anyone have it copied?  If so, could you please send it to me!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Makeup Genius Kandee Johnson Transforms Into Kim Kardashian in 30 Secs!
How to Create Kim Kardashian’s Smoky Eye
DIY Oil Cleanse
Make It Easy: DIY Oil Cleanse
SELF Magazine’s Spring 2014 Beauty Update
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...