A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,501
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pretty Peyote Ring  (Read 5986 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artzyfartzy
« on: September 24, 2004 06:02:40 AM »

I was on a beading frenzy a few weeks ago and made this ring:

http://www.fashioncompassion.com/blogpix/peyoteringblue.jpg

I made it using even count peyote stitch.  It was fairly easy to do ( but time consuming like peyote is!) .. because I didnt follow a pattern to create a design so that made it slightly easier.  Instead I chose teal green and blue seed beads and beaded them in a random pattern.  I kept beading until it fit around my finger & that's it!   Smiley
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011 08:10:15 AM by TheSapphireMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

spillyjane
the jane of yr dreams

you can't take me nowhere

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004 08:08:16 AM »

very nice!  i always have a hard time zipping the ends together...though i think i may just have to practice more at it... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my knitblog, SpillyJane Knits at http://spillyjane.blogspot.com.
artzyfartzy
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004 09:45:45 AM »

thanks! yeah the ends really are not hard...just intimidating at first.  what I do is line up the ends and if one bead is sticking out the other bead directly on the other end should be sticking "in" ... sort of like a puzzle?  if the ends fit perfect by setting it by each other you got it! just stitch it together from top to bottom.  maybe i can find a tutorial that explains that better? Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ursonate

I assure you, I am not a llama.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004 09:17:13 PM »

With practice they don't take so long to make. I have my time down to 30 or so minutes. Now if you ever try to make a wide bracelet, that takes forever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzyfartzy
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004 09:53:25 AM »

With practice they don't take so long to make. I have my time down to 30 or so minutes. Now if you ever try to make a wide bracelet, that takes forever!

ursonate; since you sound like a seasoned beader  Grin I thought i'd ask........do you by chance know of any cool peyote ring pattern links???  I havent attempted a pattern yet & i'd like to..

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maize

Let Love Rule!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004 03:31:17 PM »

Here's a few I made some time ago.  I added small glass flower beads and some silver shapes (heart & flowers) that I made from PMC.  I reinforced the shapes so if they caught on anything they wouldn't fall off.  I never had any problems.  You can find tons of peyote patterns at www.about.com in the beadwork section and also at www.bead-patterns.com (free ones).  Remember to work the ends of your threads to the middle so you don't have fraying on the edges.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzyfartzy
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2004 05:22:48 PM »

Here's a few I made some time ago.  I added small glass flower beads and some silver shapes (heart & flowers) that I made from PMC.  I reinforced the shapes so if they caught on anything they wouldn't fall off.  I never had any problems.  You can find tons of peyote patterns at www.about.com in the beadwork section and also at www.bead-patterns.com (free ones).  Remember to work the ends of your threads to the middle so you don't have fraying on the edges.

ohhh i like your rings very much! i never thought of adding shapes to them!!!! i love'em! .. I usually knot my 2 ends  and add a drop of super glue to the knot to secure it?  so after the 2 sides of the ring are weaved together - you just take each end and weave to the middle then cut the remaining thread?  I guess i took the lazy route Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maize

Let Love Rule!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004 06:41:13 PM »

Exactly.  I usually make several weaves through the beads.  I haven't been happy with how bracelets turn out in peyote stitch.  If you want to make a bracelet with pretty much the same look, I suggest square stitch.  You can find instructions at www.beadandbutton.com (the mother of all beading magazines and my bible) or tutorials at www.about.com.  Go into the Hobbie section and you'll find a "Beading" and "Jewelry Making" section.  Lots of patterns, reviews, websites and instructions. 

Have fun!  Always here to help.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzyfartzy
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004 05:35:00 AM »

Exactly.  I usually make several weaves through the beads.  I haven't been happy with how bracelets turn out in peyote stitch.  If you want to make a bracelet with pretty much the same look, I suggest square stitch. 

oh yeah, i forgot about square stitch!  Square stitch does turn out really nice - but takes me forever to finish!  I guess the finished product is worth it tho  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ursonate

I assure you, I am not a llama.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004 09:40:41 PM »

Ah, but square stitch is very different from peyote. With peyote, the beads are offset. With square stitch, they're stacked one directly on top of the other (in which case I would just weave it on a loom 'cause it's way faster and things come out more even).

I use no patterns. I either improvise a design if it's simple, or I use peyote grid paper. I just went looking for a picture of the bracelet I made, but I guess I never posted it to my site. But here's a bunch of rings I made a while back. When I bother to make a bracelet, it's basically the same thing, only bigger.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Button Jewelry
How to Make a Bracelets
How to Make a Necklace
How to Make a Pair of Earrings
How to Make a Silver Ring
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...