A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pretty Peyote Ring  (Read 5903 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artzyfartzy
« on: September 24, 2004 06:02:40 AM »

I was on a beading frenzy a few weeks ago and made this ring:

http://www.fashioncompassion.com/blogpix/peyoteringblue.jpg

I made it using even count peyote stitch.  It was fairly easy to do ( but time consuming like peyote is!) .. because I didnt follow a pattern to create a design so that made it slightly easier.  Instead I chose teal green and blue seed beads and beaded them in a random pattern.  I kept beading until it fit around my finger & that's it!   Smiley
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011 08:10:15 AM by TheSapphireMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

spillyjane
the jane of yr dreams

you can't take me nowhere

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004 08:08:16 AM »

very nice!  i always have a hard time zipping the ends together...though i think i may just have to practice more at it... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my knitblog, SpillyJane Knits at http://spillyjane.blogspot.com.
artzyfartzy
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004 09:45:45 AM »

thanks! yeah the ends really are not hard...just intimidating at first.  what I do is line up the ends and if one bead is sticking out the other bead directly on the other end should be sticking "in" ... sort of like a puzzle?  if the ends fit perfect by setting it by each other you got it! just stitch it together from top to bottom.  maybe i can find a tutorial that explains that better? Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ursonate

I assure you, I am not a llama.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004 09:17:13 PM »

With practice they don't take so long to make. I have my time down to 30 or so minutes. Now if you ever try to make a wide bracelet, that takes forever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzyfartzy
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004 09:53:25 AM »

With practice they don't take so long to make. I have my time down to 30 or so minutes. Now if you ever try to make a wide bracelet, that takes forever!

ursonate; since you sound like a seasoned beader  Grin I thought i'd ask........do you by chance know of any cool peyote ring pattern links???  I havent attempted a pattern yet & i'd like to..

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maize

Let Love Rule!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004 03:31:17 PM »

Here's a few I made some time ago.  I added small glass flower beads and some silver shapes (heart & flowers) that I made from PMC.  I reinforced the shapes so if they caught on anything they wouldn't fall off.  I never had any problems.  You can find tons of peyote patterns at www.about.com in the beadwork section and also at www.bead-patterns.com (free ones).  Remember to work the ends of your threads to the middle so you don't have fraying on the edges.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzyfartzy
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2004 05:22:48 PM »

Here's a few I made some time ago.  I added small glass flower beads and some silver shapes (heart & flowers) that I made from PMC.  I reinforced the shapes so if they caught on anything they wouldn't fall off.  I never had any problems.  You can find tons of peyote patterns at www.about.com in the beadwork section and also at www.bead-patterns.com (free ones).  Remember to work the ends of your threads to the middle so you don't have fraying on the edges.

ohhh i like your rings very much! i never thought of adding shapes to them!!!! i love'em! .. I usually knot my 2 ends  and add a drop of super glue to the knot to secure it?  so after the 2 sides of the ring are weaved together - you just take each end and weave to the middle then cut the remaining thread?  I guess i took the lazy route Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maize

Let Love Rule!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004 06:41:13 PM »

Exactly.  I usually make several weaves through the beads.  I haven't been happy with how bracelets turn out in peyote stitch.  If you want to make a bracelet with pretty much the same look, I suggest square stitch.  You can find instructions at www.beadandbutton.com (the mother of all beading magazines and my bible) or tutorials at www.about.com.  Go into the Hobbie section and you'll find a "Beading" and "Jewelry Making" section.  Lots of patterns, reviews, websites and instructions. 

Have fun!  Always here to help.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzyfartzy
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004 05:35:00 AM »

Exactly.  I usually make several weaves through the beads.  I haven't been happy with how bracelets turn out in peyote stitch.  If you want to make a bracelet with pretty much the same look, I suggest square stitch. 

oh yeah, i forgot about square stitch!  Square stitch does turn out really nice - but takes me forever to finish!  I guess the finished product is worth it tho  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ursonate

I assure you, I am not a llama.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004 09:40:41 PM »

Ah, but square stitch is very different from peyote. With peyote, the beads are offset. With square stitch, they're stacked one directly on top of the other (in which case I would just weave it on a loom 'cause it's way faster and things come out more even).

I use no patterns. I either improvise a design if it's simple, or I use peyote grid paper. I just went looking for a picture of the bracelet I made, but I guess I never posted it to my site. But here's a bunch of rings I made a while back. When I bother to make a bracelet, it's basically the same thing, only bigger.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tony and Angela DiTerlizzi Reveal Their Favorite Words
Peter Walsh Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Peter Walsh Talks About Enough Already
Elizabeth Scott Talks About Living Dead Girl
John Carter Cash Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...