A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cool Wine Bottle?  (Read 2438 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craft-matic
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006 10:16:43 AM »

Try making this, if you can cut the bottle:

http://www.unicahome.com/p23915/artecnica/transglass-by-tord-boontje-and-emma-woffenden.html

If you don't want to buy a bottle cutter, or risk the string method on your own, you could advertise a "wanted" on free-cycle or craigslist, for a one-time use of someone else's bottle cutter, and offer something in exchange (cookies? a bottle vase? I dunno, you'd think of something.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
therealgigantor

GIGANTOR SMASH YOUR CITYYYYYYY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006 10:53:17 AM »

I don't know if this will help, but if you have a local craft facility with a kiln, you can flatten it.  On my campus, our craft shop had a special activity where you could bring any glass bottle in and turn it into a flat decoration or even a cutting board!

This was my immediate thought as well. I went to a craft fair this weekend, and flattened bottles were everywhere. There was one place that was selling flattened wine bottles as cheese serving plates.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006 02:45:39 PM »

One more question- How would I make it heavy enough to stand up with a lamp top on it? Most marbles I see wouldn't quite fit through the top.
Resin!  I wouldn't fill it completely, though (because it would take forever to set and it would be ridiculously heavy).  You could even dye the resin so the bottle would look like it's half-full of red wine.

An easier solution would be sand or salt (and you could mix it with powdered tempera to darken it).  But I think dyed resin would really look "right" in the bottle.  I've used resin just once, but I was surprised by how easy it was. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
kwugirl
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006 04:22:25 PM »

I just did a quick search and you could probably get something like this to make it into a lamp! I wish I had found that earlier, I had a brief obsession last year with making my own lamp, and I loved the idea of a wine bottle lamp but had no way of being able to drill a hole on the bottom.

I really like those transglass vases, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MsChilePepper
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006 06:24:12 PM »

Here you go.  Make your bottle into a lamp with this kit, no drilling required!  http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1216_1217&products_id=5674

This site has a TON of kickass stuff at great prices.  Go crazy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I own power tools, and I'm not afraid to use them!
purlgurl

textile arts babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006 10:52:10 PM »

Okay, because I'm notorious for cutting off parts of my fingers when I mess with sharp things, I'm going to suggest something totally different.  Sterilize the bottle, fill it with garlic/herbs and olive oil, then put one of those metal or plastic pourers (that you see on liquor bottles at the bar).  I found some generic plastic ones in a 3-pack for less than $6 and they fit down the neck nice and tightly... which means no leaks!  Classy, useful present on the cheap that works just the same as the ones at Italian restaurants.

Here's a tutorial from DIY network:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_diy_people/article/0,2025,DIY_13752_2277178,00.html
Here's a useful link to things you can and can't put in there with oil:
http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blcon3.htm
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006 11:18:57 PM by purlgurl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006 06:10:08 AM »

Okay, because I'm notorious for cutting off parts of my fingers when I mess with sharp things, I'm going to suggest something totally different.  Sterilize the bottle, fill it with garlic/herbs and olive oil, then put one of those metal or plastic pourers (that you see on liquor bottles at the bar).  I found some generic plastic ones in a 3-pack for less than $6 and they fit down the neck nice and tightly... which means no leaks!  Classy, useful present on the cheap that works just the same as the ones at Italian restaurants.

Here's a tutorial from DIY network:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_diy_people/article/0,2025,DIY_13752_2277178,00.html
Here's a useful link to things you can and can't put in there with oil:
http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blcon3.htm

Infused oils are great, but be careful.  Some herbs, especially garlic, may contain harmful bacteria.  Because the oil isn't cooked, you won't kill the germs.  One possible thing to try is to buy fresh herbs yourself, wash them carefully with vegetable wash, then dry them in your oven and put them immediately in the oil.  Be especially careful with using garlic.  Because it comes from the ground, it can have botulinum bacteria and cause a lot of problems.  Maybe roast the cloves and put the roasted garlic in the oil.  With fruits, use the zest, but *please* wash the outside very, very carefully; it might even be okay to roast them in the oven just to make sure.  See this link for more:

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/infusedmixes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
n! 61q
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006 08:17:52 AM »

For previous questions about drilling glass...You can use a normal hand drill or a drill press and drill bits that are made for glass--like spear pointed carbide drill bits (you can pick these up at any hardware store).  I'm actually in the process of drilling holes in wine bottles right now to make incense burners for Christmas presents.  I don't have a drill press, so I'm just using a hand drill.  Make sure that the spot you're drilling is always wet or else the glass will get overheated and will crack.  And the drilling process takes a long time cuz you can't use too much pressure.  You have to let the drill bit do the work.  I recommend a practice run first on a bottle you don't care for.  Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Serendipity Crafts
Serendipity Crafts

Elizabeth & Hugh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006 08:22:42 AM »

We have drilled into glass blocks before and we found that a diamond tipped hole saw works better than the spear shapped drill bits.

The trick is to submerge your piece into a little bit of water so that it stays wet while you are drilling. That said, it takes a whole lot of patience and some time.

As mentioned before, practice on a scrap bottle first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elizabeth & Hugh
Personalized Signature Platters & Souvenir Plates
Serendipity-Crafts.com
Serendipity-Crafts Photo Gallery
Etsy Store
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to be Aware of Your Surroundings
How to Create Visual Unity
How to Imply Motion
How to Understand the Psychological Power of Yellow
How to Get Out of your Comfort Zone
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...