A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Galway, Ireland ?  (Read 2504 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lol Stein
Cat lady

Atomic

View Profile WWW
« on: December 03, 2006 05:14:39 PM »

Hi there. I'm an American who may have the chance to move to Galway, Ireland. Can anyone tell me anything about it? I know it's about 3-4 hours from Dublin, but that's about it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So what are you, a mod or a rocker?
Six of one, half a dozen of the other, really.
------------------------------------------------------------

Want to do a personal swap?
squid_kat
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006 03:30:20 PM »

galway city itself is a university town, think there's a bit o nightlife and whatnot.
but generally the west coat of ireland is very wet and cold and fairly deserted. 

and also raggedly beautiful. but yes, freezing and empty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xLara
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007 09:36:46 AM »

I live near Galway. I think you should go for it.. it's a really nice city (imo). There are lots of shops, and theres supposed to be good nightlife. It's right beside the sea. Generally, the weather is quite wet but in summer we get really hot days. I'd definitely go for Galway if I had a choice to move to any city in Ireland.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kathleenalice
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007 07:12:34 AM »

My dad lives about an hour and a half from Galway, in a village called Doonbeg, right on the west coast. It's really very beautiful, but there's not much going on (once you get out into the villages, that is) unless you like pubs and traditional music.
I've only been to Galway once, but it seemed a nice enough town.

Living on the west coast you will need to be prepared for wind and rain - a lot of it - but it's worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shellerina
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008 02:11:06 PM »

this is an old old thread but just in case anyone else is thinking of wandering to galway here's my two cents.

i've lived in galway for about 4 years, the night life is good once you know where to go and don't accidentally wander to somewhere like CPs when you're the kind of person who would rather the roisin.

CPs is a nightclub and is often refered to as "sleazy Ps". it's akin to a meat market. most of the guys there wear checked shirts and cheap aftershave. the girls wear very little clothes. everyone gets mad drunk, listens to the godawful chart music that's played there and rubs up against each other.
i'm not a CPs type gal, lets be honest.

the roisin to which i referred is the roisin dubh. if you're into your music, the alternative and indie type scenes then this is one of the places for you. really good music most nights, some great bands have played here and i usually have a good night when i'm there. (www.roisindubh.net)

massimos is a great pub, cosy and good atmosphere and good food during the day.

the blue note is also brilliant, very good music and again a great atmosphere.

DeBurgos is also a good one, starting to do more and more gigs there and best place to be on a saturday night imo.

cuba is a great all rounder, one floor with indie alternative and one with chart stuff. fun times.

i could go on and on about pubs etc in galway and the nightlife scene but i think that gives the general gist.

it's a great city. i love it most in september-november, there's always a great vibe and it's my favourite in terms of the weather. summer is good too, the arts festival is always great craic.

the market every saturday is wonderful, crafts and wholefoods and the like. my favourite is the crepe stand, so yummy...

the shopping there is alright, could be better but hey, it's a small city in the west of ireland so it's grand.

what else. if you're moving here average rent can be between 75 and 100, sometimes less depending on where in the city you go, how far out from the centre...

and yeah, it rains lots. but when it's not raining it's one of the most beautiful cities.

if anyone ever wants to ask me anything feel free to message me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
billie_bee
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010 01:27:12 PM »

Galway is wet!!! It rains more days here than any other city in Europe.
My advice (this is my third year living here) would be to spend the summer months here and as soon as September hits move to Cork.

Dublins a very busy city, it is the capital after all. And if anyones interested in moving to Galway then I assume thats not what you want.
As I have also lived in Cork I assure you that its a much livelier happening place, which has much better winter weather (it doesnt rain half as much) and a great nightlife. I hope to move there again next year.
Being a bigger city than Galway theres much more to see and do down in Cork. Museums, art galleries, interesting architecture, constant stream of arts related events, and certainly not just a students city. All in all its a fun vibrant place! Its not as chaotic as Dublin and not far from the city there are so many gorgeous towns like Kinsale (which is renowned for its amazing food and water-sports.)

In all honesty Galway is just a large town which becomes a student city from October to May. Not much goes on in the winter months here, and it rains so much that unless you drive its a nightmare. Way too much money gets spent on taxis on nights out if you dont live right in the centre, where it is very expensive to rent. Many days I come home drenched from the rain. And forget umbrellas!!! Its way too windy for them.

Shellerina-> "it's a great city. i love it most in september-november, there's always a great vibe and it's my favourite in terms of the weather. summer is good too, the arts festival is always great craic."

Sorry Shellerina, you must be living in a different Galway since as long as Ive been in Galway its rained consistently throughout October and November.

Galway is mainly over run with binge drinking first year uni students from mid September to May. Not fun!

So you really have to find the good spots. Heres a list of great places to go out at night which bring out the genuine Galway spirit. The Cellar, The Blue Note, Neachtains (is a historic landmark of the city, the most diverse pub in town), Tig Cil's, De Burgos has some great events and has the look of a restored underground wine cellar, Monroes hosts some great events, Bierhaus with many unusual beers is a great small venue that attracts many europeans, Massimos has a  and if your a metalhead or a bit of a rocker than Sally Longs has regular gigs for the rock fan at heart.
If your eating out than I recommend Kappa-ya a japanese restaurant opposite the best book shop in town- Charlie Byrnes, Bar no.8 on the docks is vintage cosy and The Cellar is a restaurant by day and the food is great!

I admit the Roisin is a nice place but the venue is completely overcrowded and more like a cattlemart on weekends then a pub. Its very 'scene' and is indeed aimed at the indie fan. All the big names that come to Galway perform at the Risn.

Saying that Galway has its charm. Alleyways, the Saturday market, dainty trad pubs. But summer time really displays Galway for what it is. Swimming at the fisheries, film festivals, famous Galway Arts Week, music events, vibrant nightlife, relaxing at the Spanish Arch with amazing street performers dotting the area. June and July are best spent here!

If you have an interest in the Arts then keep an eye on The Black Box, The Town Hall Theatre and The Galway Arts Centre for music, theatre and performance.
Thats my advice on Galway, Im well acquainted with the place
Ireland is not cheap and you have to be prepared for that.
Rent per week per person is about 75- 100. A litre of milk is 1.45.  A pint of beer ranges from 3.80 to 4.50. A vodka and coke is about 8. Gigs generally cost about 15/18 depending on whether you're a student or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*love light earthships*
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ideas for Beaded Necklaces
How to Make a Kids Beaded Necklace
How to Make Kids Beaded Earrings
Ideas for Beaded Bracelets
Ideas for Beaded Earrings
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...