A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand felted purse  (Read 2835 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kimmiecarlson
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2004 04:02:21 PM »

what if I want to be super lazy and use some old wool sweaters to make something (instead of knitting something and felting it)?!?
anyone have suggestions??
cut sweater and stitch something up first and then shrink? or shrink first, then create and stitch??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lemonfizz.com
eventually : )
amobabe

I'm a llama's mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2004 04:45:16 AM »

Shrink the sweater then cut it as you wish (if you cut it apart first, it will unravel into a horrible mess). You might want to check out Ready Made Mag's site...they had something on felting sweaters awhile ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PerfectEquation
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2004 09:31:59 AM »

i have a pattern for one in Stitch n Bitch, if you'd like that.

otherwise, use a wool sweater. I have one that a friend put in the dryer (ack! it was one of my favorites too!), still kinda fits, but i want to make a bag from it. i think it'd work, just as long as i felt it some more...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schadenfreude
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2004 06:52:19 PM »

Felting from scratch, as it were, is really a lot of fun and not too difficult - I've done a couple of sheets of felt and they took less than an hour, but I'm pretty impatient and I imagine they would have been smoother if they'd taken longer.  

As Toast mentioned upthread, you lay out small tufts of wool slightly overlapping to make a square (or circle, for the Martha-style purse) on top of a smooth sheet of fabric. Roving, not batting is better, because it's all combed into one direction.  Then you  make a second layer, with the tufts laid out perpindicular to the first.  Once you get about 4 layers, you spray it with hot water and dish detergent, and kind of pat it til it starts to mat up.  Then you can start really felting it- easiest way is to get a cheap matchstick blind, and roll it up jellyroll style, and just roll and roll and roll.  (sprinkle it with more hot soapy water before rolling up)

Once it is kind of one piece, you unroll it.  If you want a flat piece, turn it 90 degrees and roll some more.  I think if you want a sculpted piece like the purse, then  you'd place it over some sort of form- like a bowl, or a giant tumbler.  Add more hot soapy water, and keep massaging it as it shrinks and tightens up.  You can put on little tufts of different color to make a pattern at this point, and massage them in.

Whoo, this is a dissertation. But believe me, it's fun.  I'll post a picture of my coffee-pot cozy (with irony) that I sewed out of handmade felt when I get around to it.    Plus, here's some links that are probably clearer than what I wrote:
http://www.weavespindye.org/html/felting1.html (this has terrific instructions with photos)
http://www.outbackfibers.com/info/feltinginst.htm all different sorts of hand felting
THIS ROCKS   Logged
principessa
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005 12:33:55 PM »

I just knitted and felted my first handbag from a book called Knit One, Felt Two.  I am pretty proud of my first effort and would strongly recommend this book.  The patterns are v. cute and the directions clear and easy to follow.

Felt On!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Straight Hair Without a Flat Iron
How to Do a Modern 1950s Poodle Hairstyle
Ashley Greene Goes Blonde
The Modern Chignon Tutorial
Hair Tips: How To Use Dry Shampoo The Right Way
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...