A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand felted purse  (Read 2866 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fernif
« on: January 05, 2004 04:28:02 PM »

Has anyone ever made a hand felted handbag?  I saw a story in Martha a looong time ago and wanted to try it out.  I have no idea how much wool to buy or even what kind to buy.  I tried to find a book at Borders, B&N and Michaels, but no luck! Maybe amanzon?  But if you have had any experience being crafty with hand felting, I would love to hear about it.  There are so many great projects that could come from this.  Thanks!

Wink
Fer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be." Willy Wonka
StarStitches
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004 08:09:17 PM »

ooh! I can help!
I just got a fab book for X-Mas called Felted Knits by Beverly Galeskas. It has patterns for bags, totes, mittens, slippers, hats and even a rug (which I really want to make) The book has great tutorials and sample pieces you can make before trying to accomplish your main project. Here's the link at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931499330/qid=1073534860/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-5711057-6504131

Hope this helps  Cheesy

--Neesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.heydayfashion.c om
Get Your Shop On!
fernif
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004 09:23:18 AM »

Yea!  I have to have that book- it exactly what I am looking for.  I met a woman who makes hand felted purses, but she was selling them for $70.  I think with a little bit a practice, wool and elbow grease, I will totally be able to make a one of a kind creation.  And then maybe sell them and make a little extra money!  If you make the rug, you'll have to post pictures- I'd love to see what you create.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Fer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be." Willy Wonka
amazonratz
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004 10:42:14 AM »

Here's a link with a relaxed pattern and some good felting instructions.  Have fun.  You need  100% wool for felting projects.  
http://www.angelhairyarn.com/freepattern901.html

Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amobabe

I'm a llama's mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004 05:19:01 PM »

Are you interested in fulling/felting a KNIT object or do you want to make felt and sew it together? I ask b/c they are two different processes (obviously) and the end result will look different. I like both very much and have some great links on hand felting, which I'll post if you want 'em.

PS Starstitches: Thanks for the Galeskas book recommendation, I just added it to my wishlist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Toast.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004 07:39:00 PM »

i did a two day course in wool felting. i made a bag.
all i can say is it takes a looong time. i hope you have more patience than i do.
sorry i don't remember much.. just that you use bits of wool.. like tufts almost.. and lots and lots of soap stuff and mush it all together and like massage it for hours.
beeh.
good luck though. can't wait to see the end result.
<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gretchen28
Live, Craft, Share!

Kitt, Let's Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004 12:09:47 PM »

Hey, look at this thingy i saw today....

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml;jsessionid=JRWMGTQWLSAZZWCKUU2SIIWYJKSS2JO0?type=product&id=product20603&site=&rsc=

i know some don't like ms Martha, but this basket is way cuuuute.

How do you think you could replicate??? hmmmmmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a Banquet and Most Poor Suckers are Starving to Death
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004 12:37:38 PM »

Well, it looks like that's the kind of felt made from raw wool - but I'm sure you could knit it up and felt it.  Why not?  Of course, the stripes would be alot easier than the flowered one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gretchen28
Live, Craft, Share!

Kitt, Let's Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004 01:26:01 PM »

yeah, the stripey stripey would be grand.

maybe i'll give it a go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a Banquet and Most Poor Suckers are Starving to Death
danakk
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004 09:12:03 AM »

Speaking of Martha, she had an episode on this am that featured a felt artist. She did the knit/shrink version of felting.  Some wild hats!

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&styleType=tvradio&catid=cat18187&id=tvs9149

Click on the artists web site to see the fun stuff.

Dana
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimmiecarlson
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2004 04:02:21 PM »

what if I want to be super lazy and use some old wool sweaters to make something (instead of knitting something and felting it)?!?
anyone have suggestions??
cut sweater and stitch something up first and then shrink? or shrink first, then create and stitch??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lemonfizz.com
eventually : )
amobabe

I'm a llama's mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2004 04:45:16 AM »

Shrink the sweater then cut it as you wish (if you cut it apart first, it will unravel into a horrible mess). You might want to check out Ready Made Mag's site...they had something on felting sweaters awhile ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PerfectEquation
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2004 09:31:59 AM »

i have a pattern for one in Stitch n Bitch, if you'd like that.

otherwise, use a wool sweater. I have one that a friend put in the dryer (ack! it was one of my favorites too!), still kinda fits, but i want to make a bag from it. i think it'd work, just as long as i felt it some more...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schadenfreude
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2004 06:52:19 PM »

Felting from scratch, as it were, is really a lot of fun and not too difficult - I've done a couple of sheets of felt and they took less than an hour, but I'm pretty impatient and I imagine they would have been smoother if they'd taken longer.  

As Toast mentioned upthread, you lay out small tufts of wool slightly overlapping to make a square (or circle, for the Martha-style purse) on top of a smooth sheet of fabric. Roving, not batting is better, because it's all combed into one direction.  Then you  make a second layer, with the tufts laid out perpindicular to the first.  Once you get about 4 layers, you spray it with hot water and dish detergent, and kind of pat it til it starts to mat up.  Then you can start really felting it- easiest way is to get a cheap matchstick blind, and roll it up jellyroll style, and just roll and roll and roll.  (sprinkle it with more hot soapy water before rolling up)

Once it is kind of one piece, you unroll it.  If you want a flat piece, turn it 90 degrees and roll some more.  I think if you want a sculpted piece like the purse, then  you'd place it over some sort of form- like a bowl, or a giant tumbler.  Add more hot soapy water, and keep massaging it as it shrinks and tightens up.  You can put on little tufts of different color to make a pattern at this point, and massage them in.

Whoo, this is a dissertation. But believe me, it's fun.  I'll post a picture of my coffee-pot cozy (with irony) that I sewed out of handmade felt when I get around to it.    Plus, here's some links that are probably clearer than what I wrote:
http://www.weavespindye.org/html/felting1.html (this has terrific instructions with photos)
http://www.outbackfibers.com/info/feltinginst.htm all different sorts of hand felting
THIS ROCKS   Logged
principessa
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005 12:33:55 PM »

I just knitted and felted my first handbag from a book called Knit One, Felt Two.  I am pretty proud of my first effort and would strongly recommend this book.  The patterns are v. cute and the directions clear and easy to follow.

Felt On!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 14/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 4/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 2/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 15/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 12/15
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...