A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand reaching out for Peace & Love. Art by Deana.  (Read 1167 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shydeana
Deana M.

Hi! I'm Deana.

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2006 02:55:54 PM »

Hi. Just me again trying to draw and paint. You all are so good to me. I wish I could do something worthy of what so many of you can do.

So, without further adue...

Roll Eyes

Pardon the lame symbolism. I'm not real bright.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006 08:12:35 PM by shydeana » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is a beast whose bite becomes deadly to your soul. ~ Deana.
cinnamon teal
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006 09:37:32 PM »

I think you're getting better!  This hand seems to have more substance than your others.  I like your dove, too. 

The drawings that you've been posting seem like finished works to me.  I think that some of the best practice is by making things that aren't "precious" so you don't feel bad if you mess up.  Have you been doing sketches that you haven't posted?  Like just drawing your hand a whole bunch of times on scratch paper? 

That helps me.  If they stink you can just throw them away and you don't have to show anyone.  It's the process that matters because it will help you learn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006 09:53:23 PM »

Aw its so pretty and happy! I love the dove! The hand still has a 2-dimensional feel to it, but it is still a great improvement from the last hand I saw from you. (haha, yes... you have an art stalker >.>)
Don't worry too much about hands. Apart from feet, they're probably the most difficult thing to draw. I still draw little circles for hands... and I'm an art student  Lips sealed

Lastly, and as always... have more confidence in yourself and your artwork!! Don't throw sketches away, even if you hate them. keep them in a folder, shut them away from all human eyes, keep drawing, and in a month or so, go back to that folder. I did this over the weekend, and I was absolutely amazed! All my sketches from the past 3 years... it was great to see such improvement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
cinnamon teal
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006 11:59:51 PM »

Don't throw sketches away, even if you hate them.

While I do think that it's really important to keep a record of your progress, I also think that it's important to feel in control of your work.  It's easy (for me anyway, but I'm sure other people feel the same way) to be intimidated by a blank canvas or sheet of paper.  I feel like this new canvas has the potential to be a masterpiece and it's my responsibility to make it so.  By allowing myself to make mistakes and knowing that I can do with it what I please, I give myself greater confidence. 

I also think it's important not to let your work become overly sacred.  If it helps you to gain confidence and control over your work then I say go ahead and throw it away, tear it up and burn it - or better yet add to it, cover parts, gesso over it and change it - give it a new life. 

ps.  Sorry if this comes off as defensive, wallaby.... I think you just inadvertently hit my art philosophy button Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006 07:55:41 AM »

None taken Grin I just enjoy seeing my old work, or going back to something I didn't like and saying.. hey, it isn't so bad afterall. Personal preference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
shydeana
Deana M.

Hi! I'm Deana.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006 06:43:15 PM »

Cinnamon, I've done the 'tear-it-up-cry-in-my-sorrow' routine many times. Yes, what I show are always finished pieces since I didn't figure anyone wants to see my mounds of practice failures. The finished ones are not sacred to me. They're just less of a failure and I'm willing to take a chance showing them.

You know, though, the dove was SOOOO much easier to draw than the hand. I guess it isn't too bad.

Wallaby, I have an art stalker? Why thank you for believing in me!  Grin I'll gain lots-a confidence from that alone! I think the 2d problem is with the shading. I couldn't really get good lighting when I was looking at my hand and trying to draw it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006 08:15:05 PM »

I'm glad that you are making lots of other drawings, too.  Thats really good. 

But please, don't cry over them.  That's not what I meant at all!  I want you to feel like it's ok to mess up.  It doesn't mean anything about you as a person or even about you as an artist.  Everyone fails sometimes.  That's what happens when you take risks and it's perfectly ok.  In fact, if you did everything perfectly it would mean that you're not pushing yourself.

Try not to be so hard on yourself.  I love seeing your drawings and all the progress you have been making. 

ps.  I really love your fashion doodles!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shydeana
Deana M.

Hi! I'm Deana.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006 10:06:42 PM »

But please, don't cry over them.  That's not what I meant at all!  I want you to feel like it's ok to mess up.  It doesn't mean anything about you as a person or even about you as an artist.  Everyone fails sometimes.  That's what happens when you take risks and it's perfectly ok. 

It's OK, Cinnamon. I'm just a very emotional type person when I'm alone. Remember the short red dress and the way I torture myself with it? I cry for a few seconds and five minutes later I'm over it. Some days are better than others. I know it's perfectly normal to fail. Some days, like reading here today, I actually smile!  Cheesy

I guess I should show some more doodles. I always go back to these when I'm feeling like a complete moron. They cheer me up. I won't give up. You all are inspiring me to keep improving. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Anais The Amazing World of Gumball
How to Draw an Orca Whale
How to Draw Amy Wong from Futurama
How to Edit CSS in the Properties Panel in Dreamweaver CS4
How to Use the Refine Edge Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS5
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...