A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gift wrapping ideas?  (Read 8587 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006 09:02:59 PM »

I usually do lots of garnishes on top of my gifts. My mom saves every bow, ribbon, tree sprig, candy, ornament, etc. that has ever come into our house LOL so I use tons.

I also take old cards and put them around oddly shaped stuff so that I can get square edges. I've also taken old shrunken wool sweaters and cut out cookie cutter shapes out of them (just trace onto them and cut) and used them as embellishments. (martha just did it with mittens, i'm so mad i didn't think of that first  Angry )

I've also taken some of my old colored in coloring pages for smaller gifts and wrapped them up in them. I've also used pennies on plain wrapping paper to make interesting little sculptures and glued them on.

Mom gets lots of kitchen gifts so we get quite creative with hers - one year we bought pizza boxes from Pizza Hut and used those to wrap her pizza stones in, and on top added boxes of pepperoni and bags of shredded cheese on top. Another year she got a new dishwasher and we wrapped the entire box in boxes of Cascade and then in towels.

I usually get my brother car tools, so I wrap them by putting them in a ton of those nice aluminum tool boxes from Ikea (I think they might actually be for putting bread in, but they work so much better for tools) - you can get tons of them cheap in the as-is section and then just hammer the bends out. One year I also gave him a Blockbuster card and glued it into a filled box of theatre candy (that one was absolutely hysterical to watch...he thought I only gave him a box of candy and called me a week later when he discovered what it really was  Cheesy )

Tarnished, I think I might try your idea of filling gifts with glitter and confetti. My mom would SO love that, esp. since this year I'm doing up soap for her.  I hope these ideas help! I think wrapping gifts is one of the best parts of Christmas since my whole family pitches in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
craft-matic
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006 07:01:32 AM »

I had a similar experience--but accidentally--with my brother-in-law.  I gave him a lunch box full of little salts, peppers, napkins, straws, etc.  Then in the bottom were gift-certificates to the places he likes to eat near where he works.  He opened it, and was like "Ummm.  Salt.  And pepper.  Thanks."  After a bit, I was like, "Did you like those places?" And he was like, "uh."  Then he found them and was happy. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
tracymarie
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006 07:56:13 AM »

Here's a good resource for wrapping and bow techniques for anyone who's interested  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisa_zacharias
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006 08:20:01 AM »

I was at the library the other day looking for wrapping tips; here are some pages I found useful.

I also like the idea of bleaching tissue paper; wild!

~Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

First I had a plate and no serviette.  Now I have a serviette and no plate and I need more jam.
http://www.pixiekist.etsy.com  and **NEW***  http://www.pixiekist.net !!!!  Not much there yet, but soon!   More pics of my stuff; please comment! -Lisa
cdoggett
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006 08:35:49 AM »

I have another tip to add:

my sister is quite a bit younger than me, and still in the likes to open lots of presents stage. Well, i can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars   on her like my Dad does . So, what i did was, any little present i have gotten her for Christmas, gets wrapped up individually. For example, she's into sketching, so along with some other sketching parephenalia, i got her a kneadable eraser. I wrapped it up in tissue, put it in a smallish box with a lid and wrapped it up in fancy paper with a  big shiny bow. She'll probably think it's jewelry, but oh well!  Also, sketchbooks i got her , got wrapped up in a huge K!nkos box, so she'll be excited when she sees that. I'm wrapping EVERYTHING this year, people!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Catgirrrl
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006 03:15:20 PM »

I just wrapped presents last night. Smiley  I try for creative wrapping because I'll never master perfect wrapping; no one will see that rip or extra tape if they're awed by the pretty decorations!  It works out well for me.

I recommend:
Old Road Maps - just like Caradee suggested.  I got some free when cleaning out old boxes at work. 
Old Calendars - this year it was a huge Italian movie poster calendar from last year and next year Hello Kitty!  They're also fun to turn into envelopes.
Magazines - I use these in two ways, full pages to wrap smaller presents and then cutouts to decorate cheap see-through red paper I shouldn't have bought but will not waste.
Tissue Paper - I love wrapping presents in layers of tissue paper.  I hoard tissue paper actually, reissuing it from other gifts and particularly from clothing purchases (some really pretty patterns from those).   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennybean
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007 09:28:15 AM »

Wrapping gifts might be my favorite part of the Holidays.
Here's my first two gifts this year:

I used a bag from a news shop in DC, and added some letters spelling Merry Christmas on the bottom where the guy's newspapers are. And of course some sequins for sparkle. The gift is books, so I like the newstand theme. I might add some glitter to the dude's cigar, just for the heck of it.

I made a gift bag out of another paper bag from a shop, using grommets and some hem tape for the handle. I added the recipient's initials on mirrored discs in the corner.

I think the bag still needs a little something. I might add a hangtag from the handle with a snowflake or something ... We'll see!

(edited to make sense in this thread)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007 08:57:33 AM by jennybean » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessimocha
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007 10:29:44 AM »

oh wow i really like that you personalize the wrapping to go with the gift/recipient. and that you're reusing cool looking paper bags you already have. that's great.

i'm trying to use fabric wrapping for everything this year... there was a tutorial awhile ago.. but i'm sort of just making it up as i go along. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we will arise from the bunkers,
by land, by sea, by dirigible
we'll leave our tracks untraceable now

[and] hear all the bombs fade away...
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007 02:01:01 PM »

Merging similar threads. Smiley

Show off your gift wrapping and discuss gift wrapping ideas here!  Woohoo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
circus

BIKES BABIES AND BEER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007 02:34:00 AM »

I'm loving all these ideas! I always end up wrapping gifts for my whole family- I spend so much (frustrating!) time trying to perfect crafts, its so nice to be able to make something look pretty so easily. Last year old navy had some great wrapping paper- pink robots, etc. I haven't checked yet this year. My mother has started putting everything under the tree in plastic grocery bags insisting its recycling. Yeah, right, Mom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Chinese Food
Shrimp Stir-Fry Recipe
How to Cook Pork Ribs
How to Make Orange Chicken
How to Make a Tempeh and Shiitake Mushroom Stir-Fry
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...