A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,910
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Attaching the top band...help? (IMG heavy)  (Read 731 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Radioactivepenquin
Cooler than String Cheese

View Profile WWW
« on: December 03, 2006 01:16:25 AM »

I'm making one of the semi-pleated vintage looking bags for my sister for X-mas and I ran into a problem.

Here is my wonderful chair modeling the bag.

I can't figure out how to put the top band on it!  Embarrassed I'm new to bags so I really have no clue how to pull this off.

Here's an example of the micosuede I want as the band.

This is what the top looks like now.

The tutorials I found had a slightly different top than mine so they weren't much help.

Could any of you tell me how I would do this? I'd appreciate it greatly since my sister really wants this type of bag.  Smiley

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006 01:18:54 AM by Radioactivepenquin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like always, but never like before.

Ravelry account: http://www.ravelry.com/people/RedeemArachne
Tahlie
LuC

"Eccentric and Genius" S.Dali

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006 03:00:41 AM »

I might be able to help if this is what you were thinking of? Or have I got really confused?!  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley
Yarnia
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006 08:03:48 AM »

How I would do it is sew the suede up the sides with the right sides facing each other. When you are done you should have an inside out tube of suede. Slide it onto the bag, and then sew all the way around. The right side of the suede should be facing the right side of the bag fabric. Then you will be able to just flip the suede up, and there ya go. Does that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.chroniclesofyarnia.com

http://www.beadsandpurls.com
Hand-dyed yarn, Hand-spun yarn, Hand-dyed roving, and Custom knit and patterns! We'll be ready to go mid-Feb!
tamagotchi
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006 08:28:39 AM »

Ok, this is how I would do it: Measure the amount you need for the band, then decide where you want the seam to be.  Do you want one seam in back, or two seams (one on each side?  For one seam, you're going to be working with one long strip.  For two seams, you'll have two pieces (each approximately the length of one side of the bag).  Ok, so now you put them with the right sides touching each other and sew up a seam.  Press your seams so they lie flat.  Then fold the fabric in half, right side facing outwards.  Line the band up along the top part of the bag upside down (so that the raw edge is lined up with the top raw edge of the bag).  This won't look like it will in the final product, it will look like the band is flipped or folded downwards.  Ok, so now sew around the top edge of your bag.  Flip the band back up, and press so it lies the way you want.  And voila!  You can disguise the raw edge on the inside by covering it with the lining.

Note that the way I would do it gives you a different look from Yarnia's way.  In her way, the band will appear to be resting on the outside of the bag.  In my way the band looks like it's tucked inside.  You'll have to decide which way you prefer.  If you do Yarnia's way I'd suggest doing some topstitching where the band meets the bag so it lies flat and won't scrunch up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
Radioactivepenquin
Cooler than String Cheese

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006 05:03:03 PM »

Ok, this is how I would do it: Measure the amount you need for the band, then decide where you want the seam to be.  Do you want one seam in back, or two seams (one on each side?  For one seam, you're going to be working with one long strip.  For two seams, you'll have two pieces (each approximately the length of one side of the bag).  Ok, so now you put them with the right sides touching each other and sew up a seam.  Press your seams so they lie flat.  Then fold the fabric in half, right side facing outwards.  Line the band up along the top part of the bag upside down (so that the raw edge is lined up with the top raw edge of the bag).  This won't look like it will in the final product, it will look like the band is flipped or folded downwards.  Ok, so now sew around the top edge of your bag.  Flip the band back up, and press so it lies the way you want.  And voila!  You can disguise the raw edge on the inside by covering it with the lining.

Note that the way I would do it gives you a different look from Yarnia's way.  In her way, the band will appear to be resting on the outside of the bag.  In my way the band looks like it's tucked inside.  You'll have to decide which way you prefer.  If you do Yarnia's way I'd suggest doing some topstitching where the band meets the bag so it lies flat and won't scrunch up.

Thanks! I was thinking about something like this. So if I wanted to do two seams I would sew one, sew the pieces onto the bag and do the other side seam, and fold it over with some topstitching?

Thanks for all your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like always, but never like before.

Ravelry account: http://www.ravelry.com/people/RedeemArachne
tamagotchi
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006 07:55:14 PM »

By two seams I assume you mean a seam on either end of the bag?  For that you would start out with your two pieces.  Lay them against each other with the right sides touching.  Then sew a seam on either end.  Flip it inside out (so the right side is facing out) and then fold it in half.  If you do it my way you shouldn't need topstiching.  With Yarnia's way you will, but it's really just a different look.  You have to decide what you're going for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dork Diaries Book Trailer
Jessica Bendinger Reveals Her Favorite Movie
Meet Author Ellen Hopkins
Roxanne St. Claire Reveals
The Power Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...