A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pinwheel blankets  (Read 6029 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2006 07:59:32 PM »

I made 2 of these - no two squares are alike - which was interesting to keep track of but I was on a mission for no repeats... but got enough for 2 small blankets for my boys - I had to take them away for a little bit since my oldest kept stretching the holes which annoyed me after allllll that work... but that was a year ago and they are out of their plastic bag and bag in circulation....

I used a free pattern online for a pinwheel square.  I will have to try and find it if anyone is interested in it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006 08:15:27 PM »

Hi craftydeb!!  WOW--sure is fun and colorful and it looks like you accomplished your mission!!

Is this a difficult pattern?--I am trying to get a little more advanced in my crochet and now that I have mastered the basic granny square--looking for a little more challenge!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006 08:43:20 PM »

I used a free pattern online for a pinwheel square.  I will have to try and find it if anyone is interested in it.

This is beautiful! And, yes, if you can locate the pattern, I'd love to give it a "whirl!"  Wink

I'm still a beginner, but this is something to aspire to! Maybe I could start with a pillow...

Edited to add:
Okay, since, even though it is just about midnight, and I have a busy day ahead of me tomorrow, I can't drag myself away! I did a quick search for the pattern and found this:
http://www.craftown.com/cropat9.htm

Is this the one you used? It looks so much better in the vibrant colors you chose!!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006 08:58:41 PM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006 03:54:16 AM »

Yup that is the one that I used.  Thanks for doing the look..

It is actually a pretty easy pattern amazingly enough.  If you can make a granny square, you can make this.  I have mixed feelings on the colors - it is really quite obnoxious but I had made it when my boys were very little - 2 & 4 thinking they would just adore it but I am afraid it is just a wee bit too girly.  I might need to redistribute the squares and pass it along to someone else - it has been sitting on the closet shelf since pretty much the day I finished it.  They were just too rough.  My next ones for them will be colorchange madness - I want to make spiderman and a maybe the solar system... I need to map them out and see how nuts it will make me!

Thanks for the compliments...
and do try it.  If you can make a granny, you can make this.  I am a firm believer that if you know your basic stitches and can follow a pattern you can make nearly any pattern out there - just take it one stitch at at time.  Most all of the wild stitches are made up with the same things you already know - single, double, half, treble, chain.. in varying order.

Give it a try and post it up!  It is a great stashbuster!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
glittergirl94
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006 08:22:50 AM »

Amazing!  I love the look of granny blankets, but just don't have the patience to sew the squares together...  This Rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rinekebrouwer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006 08:50:01 AM »

I would be interested! what a nice effect. This would be amazing for a scarf also.
thanks for showing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rineke.blogspot.com
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006 09:16:41 AM »

Hi craftydeb!

Thanks for the encouragement. My crochet skills are getting better, but I'm such a chicken when it comes to trying new things (I did just enter the first Crochet Challenge- Marvin the Martian- and I learned a whole bunch of things!). The pattern says it is intermediate, but I can make a basic granny (or at least I made one...once!).

And, if you're looking for a someone to give the blanket to, you could donate it to a charity (like Warm Up America) or a nursing home or senior center. If you wanted, you could take the squares apart and distribute them into several smaller blankets (maybe with smaller blocks of solid color between- it'd look super funky with black!). But definitely don't put it back on the shelf!

Or, you could save them for when your boys are older...much older...off to college...or wedding present...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
KrisML4
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006 10:07:16 AM »

Can I just say- Amazing! I love the colors, along with the pattern they really keep the eye interested in viewing the whole blanket. Such great detail. Wonderful job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006 11:09:44 AM »

Yeah it's a nice blanket and I was looking at it to try and find two squares alike but I couldn't find any lol. The pattern does seem like it is easy, I will definately try it out soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
Rednecked Rabbit
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006 01:24:58 PM »

Wow! What an amazing blanket. I'm in awe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane.
        ~ Jimmy Buffett
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Panoramic Plates - Shake 4
How to Track Obscured Points - Shake 4
How to Use Smooth Cam - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Soften Skin - Color
How to Animate Text on a Path - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...