A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,536
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Extra long knitting needles?  (Read 8633 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

keston
knit, spin, or die!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2006 06:02:50 PM »

I have a slightly odd knitting issue.  I'm looking for extra long straight knitting needles, longer than the 14 inch ones i've been finding.  I'm missing my left hand and in order to knit, I have to pin my left needle under my arm and brace it with my wrist.  14 inch needles work ok, but longer would be better.  Does anyone know a comapny that makes them?  I'm thinking I could attempt to make some out of dowels but buying them would be easier.  Any ideas would be great!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006 07:11:05 PM »

Well, not exactly straight, but knitpicks.com offers Options needles which are normally circular, but you can add a stopper to one side of the cable instead of a second needle to have a needle up to 60" but I don't know if that'll be doable for you because the actual part of them is still small. 

Maybe you can have someone do a similar modification to long existing needles for you? Is the issue more of trying to knit bigger projects or some other reason?

http://knitpicks.com/needles/KPNeedles.aspx  (picture of what I mean is in the top row, middle picture) 
http://knitpicks.com/needles/Needles_Options.aspx (to order only what you need instead of the set, scroll down)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

keston
knit, spin, or die!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006 07:22:03 PM »

In order to knit on the left side I have to be able to pin the end of the knitting needle under my arm pit and then brace the remaining length of the needle with my wrist for stability.  I just don't have a hand at all on the left side, just the wrist.  Even with 14 inch needles my arm and shoulder are really scrunched upand I end up having back problems when I try to knit for long stretches.  So I need something thats really long and solid.  It's kind of a strange problem....I'm not sure how many one handed knitters there are  Undecided 

Those are definately cool needles though.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
penguino
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006 07:26:47 PM »

How about contacting one of etsy sellers that sell handmade needle and ask them to make you some custom extra-long needles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

keston
knit, spin, or die!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006 07:50:17 PM »

Ooh!  Thats a very good idea!  And it would support a fellow crafty person....yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancingbarefoot
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006 08:02:11 PM »

Many people at Craftster seem to make their own needles (not me, but I've seen many threads about it). Could you get dowels at the hardware store and sharpen the tips? Then you could get any length you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006 08:27:04 PM »

Yep, in your case, Keston, you've got the choice of going cheap (hardware store) or expensive (custom but pretty! Cheesy).  Maybe if you have a full range of custom-length needles (0-15?), it'll bring down the cost. Wink  Although from what I've glanced at online, not many people do the smaller sizes custom (the issue with some materials is fragility, from what I understand).  Hopeully someone out there does custom metalwork! (perhaps post in Crafting For Good...?  I think you're a good cause! Smiley)

In the mean-time, Keston, perhaps brace against a table or something so you don't hurt yourself further? I think there need to be some limits to suffering for your art. Smiley  I would hate to know you're in pain while waiting for more ergonomic needles!

You are unique, Keston, but not alone in the quirky-knitting techniques category (I'm a self-taught knitter, and I know there are others, who just don't knit like anyone else! Smiley  I've begun watching more knittinghelp.com videos and I'm thinking, Whoa, what's she doing, it's SO complicated!  Yet I know it's the standard way of knitting and purling LOL)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006 08:29:12 PM by knittinfiasco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nellum
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006 10:13:05 PM »

Have you considered a knitting belt like the ones Shetland knitters used to use to take some strain off of your arm?  Basically they were a belt with a place where you could brace your needle, taking the weight off of one arm and making it easier and faster to manoeuvre.   Try this link to see a picture: http://www.moray.gov.uk/museums/homes/whisk.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006 10:28:28 PM »

awesome find, Nellum!!  You rock! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misslilamae
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006 11:09:25 PM »

I'm a self-taught pit-knitter, so I can definitely understand where you're coming from on the extra length issue.  I think the larger needles would be better/easier to make yourself, but I agree that contracting an Etsyian to make you a custom set would be ace.  Maybe they could even figure a way to make the smaller needles longer, but also more stable - maybe by anchoring them into a larger handle-type "needle" you could brace under your arm?  I know I have trouble knitting with smaller needles (anything under a US#5) because with the pit-knitting, wooden needles break and metal ones bend.  Angry

Nellum - do you have ANY idea if there's a modern manufacturer of the wisker belts?  I've heard about people using the pit-knitting technique using the belts to knit in the round (currently, knitting in the round is impossible for me) and I'm really REALLY interested in them, but I haven't found any sources or instruction.   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 22/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 26/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 25/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 27/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 24/29
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...