A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,568
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: short row shaping, BO, neck shaping...all kinda problems!!  (Read 403 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lil Red Riding Hood
The Feisty Redhead Craft Blog

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2006 10:05:24 PM »

Asymmetrical Coat pattern by Helen Hamann from Elann

I'm becoming very frustrated with this pattern after finding several oddities and mistakes, which were corrected and reprinted. So here are the instructions on the pattern that I'm frustrated with:

Left shoulder shaping: On RS row, work in patt to 7 sts before end of row, w/t. Next RS row: Work in patt to 7 sts before last wrapped st, w/t. Next RS row: Work in patt to 8 sts before last wrapped st, w/t - Left shoulder shaping has been completed. Set aside left shoulder sts on stitch holder.
Back neck shaping: Rep first RS row from left shoulder shaping 4 more times - Back neck shaping has been completed.
Right shoulder shaping: Rep second RS row from left shoulder shaping twice, then first RS row from left shoulder shaping once -- Right shoulder shaping has been completed. K all sts, working the wrap tog with the wrapped st. Set aside right shoulder sts on stitch holder.

My question is: what do i do with the stitches left over from the back neck? I'm told to put the left and right shoulder stitches on a stitch holder, but what about the neck stitches? Later, there is no mention of any kind of BO. It tells me to graft the sts from the left and right shoulder shaping to the right and left front pieces. Where does that leave the neck shaping? Bah! I need to finish this for my mom before Christmas, but I keep running into obstacles. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006 10:52:18 PM »

http://elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=elann%2Ecom+Peruvian+Sierra+Aran&Cat=&ProductType=5&Count=1 (pic of FO)

Any chance later in the directions you're told to pick up stitches and to work on the collar?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lil Red Riding Hood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006 11:01:29 PM »

Yes, it does say that. (D'oh! Homer Simpson moment) My concern is that it tells me to put the shoulder sts on a stitch holder, but doesn't tell me to do that with the neck stitches. Should I just assume that's what I'm supposed to do?

Thanks for pointing out the obvious to a tired, frustrated, time-constrained knitter. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysolda
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006 05:37:02 AM »

I haven't seen the pattern but does it tell you how many stitches to pick up at the back neck for the collar. If it does and this number is different from the number of sts you have live I would bind them off. If it's the same number or it doesn't say I would just put them on a holder and pick them up again for the collar. Although I think, after reading only this part of the pattern, that working it exactly according to the directions might leave you with the neck sts on the needle - would that fit with the next part of the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
Lil Red Riding Hood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006 02:02:31 PM »

Yeah, the number of sts is the same. It was hard to see at first cause I have live stitches from the neck and from the right shoulder still on there. I suppose they just left out the part about putting those neck stitches on a holder. The next step in the project is CO for the right front. It doesn't mention the back neck again until the part about picking up sts for the collar. I think your first assumption was right. Maybe they just left that out. There were several other mistakes in the pattern when I first got it, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Thanks again for pointing out the obvious, gals! I was ready to throw this project out the window last night!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Steve McCurry: The Sartorialist for AOL On
Humans Of New York
9 Tips for Taking Better Photos
Man Creates Stunningly Realistic Diorama Of His 1950s-Era Home Town
Cover Girls: The Sartorialist For AOL On
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...