A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
798 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What wheel do you have  (Read 5322 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2007 10:50:39 AM »

I have an oooold Kromski Mazurka and love it! I'm separated from it at the moment and it's a sad time....

It's quite light and portable and spins beautifully. The bobbins would theoretically be quite a good size, they hold about 70g, but unfortunately I only have one and the new ones don't fit.

In the long term I would quite like a foldable wheel though... or a beautiful antique wheel, although I know it's not really practical, but it would do my love for antiques justice. Smiley

Update, February 07: I now also got an Ashford traditional, which is a nice, heavy wheel... I will most likely sell it in September though, as I'll be moving closer to my other wheel. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007 04:15:20 AM by Snowberrylime » THIS ROCKS   Logged

feverdream
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2007 05:05:48 PM »

I have a babe pedal pusher double treadle wheel. I don't know much about wheels, but it seems to be a good wheel for a beginner. It's kinda futuristic looking, and the treadles are made from stair stepper parts (I think). I haven't had any problems with it in the short time I've owned it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy shop!
My wists
"the best part about life is knowing that you put it together yourself." -trent reznor
HunterJumper33
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2007 08:14:42 PM »

i have a Lendrum and love it!!!! It is the only one i have really worked on besides for a louet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop Rosemary Lane Design: https://www.etsy.com/shop/RosemaryLaneDesign
easterbun
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2007 11:24:56 PM »

I have an Ashford traditional but am thinking of another one for bigger bobbins. I feel like I'm done before I get started on the regular bobbins.

I bought a woolee winder just a few months after buying my wheel to solve that very problem  Grin

The WW bobbins fit an honest 4oz of fiber, which for most things I do is more than adequate... and I too was frustrated by the standard bobbins, but not so much because of the size of the bobbins, but because I could fill a bobbin, the center-ball ply, and not be able to get all of the yarn back on when plied becuase of the flyer... I don't have that issue with the WW - I guess because it winds so level, it can squeeze in that extra little bit, and I can literally stuff yarn on there until it's level with the flyer all the way across.

Anyways though, back to the point of the thread, I have a double drive ashford traditional, and a hitchhiker.  I honestly use both about equally.. though I tend to do more "sample" spinning on the hitchhiker, experiementing with various fiber blends to see if I like the final result or if they need more "tweaking" before going to work on my "big" wheel (simply because it requires more space, it's not always easy to get it set up).

If I were to buy a wheel today, I'd be hard pressed to pick between the Kromski Sonata and the Majacraft Rose.  Not having actually spun on either, I want an easily portable wheel with a little more versatility than the HH offers.  I think the HH is great for what it is, but it certainly has limitations.  I also bought the HH hoping to be able to spin in the car and it just doesn't fit well enough  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cassiemarie
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2007 08:28:40 AM »

Hey guys,
I decided to post here to ask your opinions on what wheel I should get.  I am trying to decide between a Fricke S-160 ST and a Louet S17 ST.  I am on an extremely limited budget, both of these wheels cost about $250, and these are the two wheels that I am thinking will be best suited to what I want to do.  I really want to spin mostly singles, and mostly worsted weight to bulky yarns.  I know the Louet has a large bobbin size, but does the Fricke?  Also, I like how the Fricke has a wide foot pedal and you can put both feet on it if you want, but those of you who have louets, is this really a big thing?  Lastly, if anyone has been able to try these wheels side by side, which one is the better one in your opinion.  Thanks so much in advance- and if this is in the wrong place, sorry and mods feel free to move it.
--Cassiemarie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heavenlyevil
(formerly PureDiamond8865)

I'll bide my time...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2007 01:08:26 PM »

I'm waiting for my Louet Victoria to arrive. It won't be here until Friday (maybe Monday if the post office hates me) but I already know I'm going to love this wheel. Everything about it is perfect for what I want to do with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We're all mad here....You may have noticed I'm not all there myself.
sheepncaffiene
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2007 08:12:47 PM »

I just bought an Ashford Traditional-(maybe 3 months ago?) I really like it, considering I'm sort of a self taught newbie of a spinner...the real reason I bought this wheel is because you're supposed to be able to modify the parts as you go along.(I'd like to work up to laceweight yarn). It isn't exactly cheap as an item, but I like the idea of it being convertible. There are still things I am figuring out but I must say that I don't believe a single treadle is as formidable as I'd imagined....I also liked that it was easy to put together(I got a kit)and for me that is saying something.I am a lefty, too, and I was worried that this would be a big deal- no worries! I do wish that the bobbins were bigger sometimes though.(I'd like to do beaucoup yardage.)Sometimes I think about getting a portable wheel like a Hitchhiker but I don't know that I'd have the time and space to spin, on traveling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2007 10:36:09 PM »

I have a three year old Kromski Symphony and I love love love her! Esmerelda spins lace weight to bulky. If you are looking for a super bulky wheel, she's not it. Her oriface is too small. She has spun wool, silk, yak, quiviut, alpaca, and camel. I have never had a problem with her, though she is used about an hour everyday. Did I mention she is gorgeous? Like a nineties super model ,wow. My husband bought her for my thirtieth birthday and I was so happy I burst into tears.  Smiley HTH
THIS ROCKS   Logged

janilee5
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2007 07:55:53 AM »

I have an Ashford Joy DT and I am getting to know her. She sat in the corner of my apartment for six months before I took a lesson to learn how to use her. So far she is wonderful but I need to learn more about her and spinning Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissMeshell
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2007 02:33:34 AM »

I can post in this thread now because today we got a great second hand Ashford Traditional! It's getting cleaned up and etc and then we get to take her home Grin

*faint*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Money by Self Publishing
Howard Jacobson on the Importance of Comedy, Filth and Sex
Rodes Fishburne on His Book Going to See the Elephant
Janet Malcolm on Lost Souls and Delusional People
Geoff Dyer on Digressive Writing Styles
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...