A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Afghans as bridesmaid gifts?  (Read 864 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BoxOfRocks
« on: December 01, 2006 06:46:53 PM »

Hi, everyone.  I'm new a new member to this board, though I've lurked before.  I am getting married in six months and would like to make afghans for each of my five bridesmaids.  Skill-wise, I'd say I'm an advanced beginner (I've made scarves and pillows before).

I'm doing single-color granny square afghans, with each square bordered in white.  Each bridesmaid will be getting a different color. Im doing the granny square route b/c theyre more easily portable than a row-by-row afghan. Plus, one of my biggest challenges as a crocheter is keeping the tension consistent to keep the piece even, and it is easier for me to do this with granny squares.

Has anyone done this before? Is this feasible? Is it even a good idea? Any tips or tricks?

Some more info:

1. To provide variety, I am also including store bought gifts. Ill probably giving the bridesmaids with ye olde canvas tote bag with the afghan, spa gift sets, and probably something else TBD. Itll be a good mix, for those who aren't really down with getting only a homemade gift.

2. Which granny square should I make? Which looks better, will make a warmer blanket, etc.?

Basic square: http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/free/101/f101
101basicgranny.shtm l

Harvest square: http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/01granny/harv
estsquare.shtml

TIA!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006 06:51:39 PM »

I couldn't link to the patterns you have, but I can say that I think this is pretty ambitious for bridesmaid gifts.

It is a lovely idea, but 5 afghans in 6 months is a LOT for a bride-to-be to make.

Maybe you could do crochet totebags instead? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everkutz
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006 10:57:28 PM »

I can't imagine myself taking on such a large project!  You'll be busy with planning a wedding and 5 granny squared afghans is a LARGE project.  You might get tired of making granny squares after doing just one afghan, and then you will have to sew them together and tuck in all those yarn ends! (I hate that task!)  Maybe make one afghan and see how that goes?  You could keep it for your new home or give it to your maid of honor. 

Sorry to be a doubting debbie! Just my two cents!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006 10:59:41 PM by everkutz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
DisneyFan
I Love Disney, My Husband Loves Shakira!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006 07:08:39 PM »

I think it sounds like a beautiful idea--but might I suggest a different pattern?  There is one that's a 5 hour afghan (I think that's the right one) on the lion brand website--it's a very quick afghan and I've added fringe to it as well.  I made it with a P hook and two strands of worsted weight yarn, so it took me longer than 5 hours, but it was still very quick.  That way, you can crank them out faster.

Here it is:

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-4halfHourAfghan.html

Only 4 1/2 hours!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006 07:12:36 PM by DisneyFan » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took up running so that I could eat more, not because it feels good.  haha
BabyMarie
Baby's Busy Crocheting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006 06:08:36 AM »

I made 4 throws for christmas, one for each of my 4 siblings in about three months.  I made lots of other stuff in between though.

So my suggestion would be try and keep it small, I made them so they would be comfortable enough to snuggle with on the couch, but not so big that they'd be cumbersome.  My husband usually doesn't like any of my crochet projects, but he gave me the thumbs up on these!

This is three of them, without trim.  The fourth is green with lavender trim for my littlest sister. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Makeup on Date Night
Get Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen’s Smoky, Bronze Eyes
Product Review: Glamoflauge Concealer by Hard Candy
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Of The Week
How To Create An Ombre Lip
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...