A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,953
Currently Running With Scissors:
737 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Halloween - Spy vs. Spy  (Read 9158 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

minwe
« on: September 23, 2004 07:18:41 AM »

Hey crafty comrades.  This is my first post, so be gentle...heh, heh.

The boy and I decided last night to start working on Spy vs. Spy for this year's costume project.  The costume should be simple, black/white pants, make a pattern from a wizard costume/old jacket I have for the coat.  The only conundrum we've run into is the mask.  Not sure how to do the nose, big black eyes, etc?  Any ideas?? 

Also, what costume are you guys working on this year?  Come on, Halloween was made for the crafty.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~viva las embroidery floss~~
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004 07:23:16 AM »

Hmm for the mask - I'd use sunglasses lenses for the eyes.  And make the masks out of plaster bandages.
basically you make a form and then build the mask over it with the bandages (the kind that are used to make plaster casts)
Then glue the 'eyes' in later
THIS ROCKS   Logged
minwe
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004 08:45:23 AM »

Thanks!  We had thought about rubber or maybe just basing a the mask around sunglasses...such as attaching the nose and area around eyes to a pair of dark sunglasses and painting our faces white.  I'll have to check out Michael's and such and see what sort of plaster they have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~viva las embroidery floss~~
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004 08:52:03 AM »

you can also buy latex that you paint on and let dry at art supply stores.

the plaster bandages I'm talking about are more drug store than craft store.  I made masks that way (on mannequin heads covered with tinfoil and vaseline) in a summer drama class when I was about 10.  We added clay parts to give the faces expression before the whole vaseline and plaster treatment.

Cut the bandages into like 6" pieces, dip in water, slap on mold, and smooth them out.  Continue adding layers just like papier mache(heck you could do papier mache, instead, probably easier, but you'd have to paint it).  Then let dry overnight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ph33lth3lov3

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004 12:21:38 AM »

maybe make the mask out of foam? like for upholstering? or styrofoam... it spraypaints well and you could work with it easily. And it doesn't have to dry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004 08:57:31 PM »

maybe make the mask out of foam? like for upholstering? or styrofoam... it spraypaints well and you could work with it easily. And it doesn't have to dry.

ack!!! i searched and SEARCHED last year for good foam to carve a mask out of for my costume last year (i desperately wanted to be mayor mccheese, and i WILL one day, darn it!).  the only stuff i could find was cushiony foam at joann fabric, and it was way expensive, so i gave up and became an owl.

anyway, if anyone finds a good place for huge hunks of styrofoam, let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

themagnificentjess
bitch extraordinare

eccentric - a.k.a. crazy in a fun way

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004 07:47:22 AM »

spy vrs spy rocks. every considered paper mache? weird face shape ya know? hmm... or you could get real into it and make a wire frame and glue white felt over it, but if you want the nose to be able to go crooked, you might want to try the foam padding stuff i dunno what it is called but it's used to make crib lining for babies and i know they have it at joanns because i bought some ghaaa what is it called, because it is pretty stiff and would hold the shape

my costume is currently under the clothing section of craftster, under "discuss future projects" it's the one that says "costume prgress thus far" go ahead and take a peek if you like. it's modeled after the queen of spades on this deck of cards my brother has.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the only abstinence you should teach.. is to abstain from voting for Sarah Palin.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 24/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 23/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 26/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 29/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 28/30
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...