A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage Workbasket Magazines  (Read 8459 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jennye

Knowledge is good.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005 03:02:48 PM »

I have a ton of my grandma's old Workbasket magazines, mostly from the 40s and 50s, and a bunch from the mid-80s.  Doilies and bedspreads aren't really my style, but the recipies are great, if a little confusing (what exactly is a "quick oven"...??).  In every issue (at least in the old ones), there's a section called "Aunt Ellen's Club Notes", which talks about the activities of various womens clubs, and provides suggestions for decorating, entertaining, and food for each meeting.  Pretty funny.  I'd love to see my friends and me all gathered around a table, earnestly discussing the history of Christmas carols, and the benefits of a bake sale.

Lothruin, if you have any crocheted shawl-like things in your mags, I'd love to get patterns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennybean
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005 03:14:33 PM »

yup i saw some of the 80's issues and they seem not quite ripe for the vintage pickins, if you know what i mean.
i have never even heard of huck weaving. i am resisting the urge to google it and find out it's a craft i must learn.
i love to look at this stuff and wonder what it was like to live then.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knitrageous
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2005 03:32:05 PM »

I have/had some old workbaskets! I'll have to dig mine out--wherever I put them! I hope I still have them.

I like the recipes, too. If you run across a knitted necktie, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Learning how to knit was a snap. It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
madamedefarge
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2005 04:32:46 PM »

Huck weaving:
http://needlepoint.about.com/cs/projects/a/swedishweaving.htm

It looks pretty cool, actually.  I may have to try it.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2005 05:26:14 PM »

Here is a Craftster topic about huck weaving:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10911.0
If you scroll down on the one above you can see a little lamb I did from one of the patterns in the workbasket.

My little lamb was very small and very easy because I used aida cloth and floss just to get an idea of what I was doing.  But I think my next project will be somewhat more invovled, and will use monks cloth and sport-weight yarn and maybe do blanket.

I love the recipes in the old ones, but then, I love old recipes.  I sincerely dislike calorie-counting, low-fat crap.  I may not ever cook with lard, but it does my heart good to see recipes that use it.

Jennye, I'll look to see if there is a crocheted shawl or something similar.  I don't remember seeing one, though I recall several knitted shawls and stoles.  But I could be wrong.  And frankly, a lot of the table runner / chair back cushion cover things could probably be converted. 

Knitragious, in fact there IS a knitted necktie.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
jennybean
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2005 05:39:24 PM »

!!! huck weaving is something i have to learn! and, for posting those links, you guys are the enablers for my craft addiction. Wink
i like the style of the sky behind your lamb, lothruin.
i hope i get some of these soon so i can post some new stuff up here. i just started getting into collecting vintage books and patterns. even if you don't use them right away, i think they are fun to look at (and make some fun of!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennye

Knowledge is good.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2005 08:41:36 AM »

And frankly, a lot of the table runner / chair back cushion cover things could probably be converted.

In the box of my grandma's old supplies and magazines, there was an unfinished project from one of the Workbasket mags - a tablecloth made of tiny little thread motifs.  I laid them out, and there's enough for a scarf or something, but they're so tiny (about 2 in. across), and I can't work with thread (fat fingers/bad eyesight).  I hadn't thought of doing them in a thicker yarn, though. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2005 11:54:34 AM »

Well, if you can't work with the smaller ones, you should find someone who can, because it would be a shame for them to go to waste.  (I was going to suggest they'd be perfect for a supply swap, but I wouldn't want to give them up if they were mine, so I think you should just find someone willing to make you something out of them.) 

As for making them in larger yarns, I think that is one of the beautiful things about crochet.  Motifs can be made larger or smaller just by switching out yarn and hooks for a different weight.  Now, you can do something like that with knitting, but I just don't think it's as versatile as crochet in that respect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
adultramblings
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005 12:28:39 PM »

Workbasket closed in 1992.  I have almost every issue - I'm only missing 2 or 3 from the 30's, and 2 or 3 from the last year of publication.  Some of them are in ratty shape, though as I got about 40 of them in one lot at an auction but the owner had it in his basement which had water damage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poppet
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005 01:24:13 PM »

I scored a stack of these at a thrift store the other day. Here are a few pics from the Feb. 69 issue:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: "Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment." -- Dorothy Parker

http://poppetprojects.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Quick and Easy Ways to Look Rested
Get Thin Eyebrows Looking Thicker
How to Easily Fix a Broken Eye Shadow
Get Hayden Panettiere’s Sun-Kissed Glow from Her Glamour Cover
See Makeup Genius Kandee Johnson Transform Into Hayden Panettiere
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...