A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Melting Beads in Silicone Bakeware  (Read 9473 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artisticnightmare
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2006 02:14:56 PM »

I've made resin glitter stars! Only I turned mine into magnets! I used a cheapo walmart ice cube tray to make them. This ice cube tray was NOT rated for the oven so I haven't melted beads in it.  Wink

One warning though......resin smells MUCH worse than melting beads. Oy it stinks!

Here they are after I popped them out of the molds and before I glued the magnets on them.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k113/Allenkaperakdesigns/IMG_4141.jpg

Is the resin a less costly alternative?  I really know nothing about it.  What I do know is that the only local store that sells the beads only has the smaller packs at $2 each which makes 2 small bowls.  Because I screwed the second bowl up I had to go buy more. 

A note for those of you looking for cookie cutters- I was at the Goodwill today and they had bags of them for $1, most had at least 8 in them.  Some had rust spots on the outside and you could tell they were older, but the forms were still usable and if you're looking for a cheap way to go then you should check out your local re-sale shops.

<<<edited to remove photos from quote - please remember to delete the IMG tags when quoting ~ thanks!>>>
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006 02:58:56 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
atelier07020
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006 02:28:39 PM »

I watched some home makeover show the other night, they used the silicone molds and a resin to make little star ornaments for every branch of a tree.  I don't know if the resin was more expensive or not.  He put glitter in some of them and it sank to the bottom, so they put some of them glitter side up and some glitter side down.  Very cute. 

I've only did this project once and i found the fumes to be very overpowering.  I did have the oven fan on and had to open the door (although it was 2 out at the time and the heat was on).  I'm thinking this will probably something better left for the Spring/Summer.  For me at least.

I've made resin glitter stars! Only I turned mine into magnets! I used a cheapo walmart ice cube tray to make them. This ice cube tray was NOT rated for the oven so I haven't melted beads in it.  Wink

One warning though......resin smells MUCH worse than melting beads. Oy it stinks!

Here they are after I popped them out of the molds and before I glued the magnets on them.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k113/Allenkaperakdesigns/IMG_4141.jpg

Those are amazing! I am in love with all things resin but it never crossed my mind as a diy kinda thing.  I work in interior design & we have a client that has a resin bath tub, if you can believe that. Its slightly translucent - the coolest thing. Anyhoo, I'm completely inspired by your post.  I have to research this more & try to make some resin-y love for myself. Thanks for posting!! Smiley

<<<edited to remove photos from quote - please remember to delete the IMG tags when quoting ~ thanks!>>>
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006 02:59:24 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Lewis Carroll
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006 02:52:00 PM »

Psst, don't forget to remove the tags for the images when quoting stuff, saves everyone space, especially Leah Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006 02:59:38 PM »

Psst, don't forget to remove the tags for the images when quoting stuff, saves everyone space, especially Leah Wink

Great reminder!  Smiley  Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006 03:09:43 PM »

Great reminder!  Smiley  Thanks!!
*giggles* you're welcome Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
atelier07020
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006 03:18:51 PM »

oops! thanks! Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Lewis Carroll
naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006 03:25:00 PM »

oops! thanks! Embarrassed
it happens Wink Don't worry about it Smiley Sometimes we just can't get enough of the cool crafts shown Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alo42d
I can fly, I can fly, I can fly

I do believe in fairies, I do, I do, I do, I do

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2006 09:07:03 PM »

be proud cause i just don't know what to say. i'm speechless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Follow the second star to the right and straight on till morning

Welcome to my Neverland

All we need is Faith, Trust, and a little bit of Pixie Dust

http://www.wists.com/alo42d
www.myspace.com/tinkerbell_alo42d
rubyflame
I am the Lizard Queen!

Helium balloons tempt me.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2006 10:27:53 PM »

To get holes in your shapes without using a drill, roll a piece of aluminum foil into the size and shape of a toothpick. Stick this between the beads where you want your hole to be and bake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And then my heart                      
with pleasure fills                
and dances with the daffodils
yarncookie
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2006 12:42:10 PM »

oooh good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look at me, I'm on TV, it makes up for the shortcomings of being poor. Now I'm in a million pieces picked up for deliberation by the people listening at home, by the people watching on the telly...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Rudolph Holiday Wreath
How to Decorate with Ornaments
How to Personalize Napkins for the Holidays
How to Build a Holiday Centerpiece
What Happened To Handmade?
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...