A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Melting Beads in Silicone Bakeware  (Read 8934 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kappy

Shaper of glass and other mediums...

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2006 04:26:04 AM »

Just wanted to provide an update on the Wilton Star and Tree forms. The forms survived the beaded madness and produced some pretty cool shapes.

When they popped out of the Silicon Bakeware they were hazy looking (not shiny and clear). So, whipping out the blowtorch, they polished right up.

The question is what to do with them. I'm thinking that we might drill holes in them and make them ornaments.

PinkyK has pictures, which she should post sometime today.

Kappy

EDIT:  Here's the pictures!!

Here is a shot of the molds I used:

Close up of the Christmas Trees

We then loaded them up with beads:

Then we put them in the oven to melt. We put them in the oven at 380 degrees for about an hour. Kappy and I are always talking about our fume prevention and ventilation system.  Here is a picture of it. Basically it is a little HEPA filter on our counter. We also run the vent fan on the stove on high. You really don't need the extra air filter. We just got nervous with a brand new baby puppy in the house so we took extra precautions.

Here they are out of the oven. You can tell they shrunk up quite a bit.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011 06:12:38 AM by TheSapphireMoon - Reason: inserted photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out PinkyK's Etsy Shop AllenKaperakDesigns

http://www.AllenKaperakDesigns.etsy.com
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006 04:37:54 AM »

Woohoo... she better post pictures!

You could make...
  • ornaments
  • decorate wreaths with them
  • connect a bunch edge-to-edge and make a round "forest" effect for a candle holder (I'm gonna do this with some other shapes I have!)
  • sun catchers
  • attach a paper give tag in the center of one or use smaller beads to spell out names on the top and use them as gift tags
  • door hangers
  • wind chimes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006 06:45:34 AM »

Photos! (*moved to first post of thread)  Heck, this ALMOST qualifies as a tutorial!

I'll post the finished finished products when I get home. I THOUGHT I had brought some shots with me today but alas I did not. SO this will have to tide you over until later.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011 06:12:04 AM by TheSapphireMoon - Reason: moved photos to initial post » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006 07:37:01 AM »

Ohhh...thank you for the pictures!!  They look awesome!!

OriginalYouth... the trays work!!  We must get some...we just must!

I'm baking this weekend - I can't wait.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006 07:42:34 AM »

You can kind of see it in the photos but there are little drippy spikes on each of these. Look closely at the finished stars and you can see the spikey drips clinging to the wall of the mold..... We think a few minutes in the oven or a swipe with the blow torch will smooth those right out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kappy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006 07:58:08 AM »

The drippy spikes do melt under the might of the Blowtorch. But, it's still a little goofy looking. I was thinking that the spikes might be Dremmel worthy.

I figure that I have a Blowtorch and Power Tools, might as well use them. (Insert Tim Allen Grunt Here)

Kappy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006 11:06:46 AM »

Are those ikea ice cube trays?  What exactly are you making - like paperweights or onaments or something?  They don't look like they would make a bowl(okay, I am browsing through the recent pics/posts so I am sure I missed something here!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006 11:09:02 AM »

I think they are silicone cup cake tins. Or muffin tins. I got them at Michaels in the cooking section. No IKEA here.  I think they will be Christmas ornaments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kappy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006 11:43:16 AM »

The forms are actually Wilton Brand Silicon Molds:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?id=FC91284C-423B-522D-FDF4D71B1AF79E1C&fid=FC91286B-423B-522D-F8BDFF8CC0846EFB

The individual molds are about 2 inches by 2 inches, and about 1 inch deep. As Sweets said in a previous post, these can be used for a number of purposes, from ornaments, decorations, or whatever your imagination desires.

The problem with using IKEA ice cube trays, is that it would probably melt under the heat of the oven.

Just thought I would chime in.

Kappy

P.S. Maybe this discussion should move over to the Melted Bead Craftalong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006 04:14:55 PM »

Now the issue is how do we hang them? If they are going to be ornaments what would be the best way to attach something with which to hang them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006 04:34:14 PM »

drill 'em & ribbon 'em!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006 04:43:28 PM »

drill 'em & ribbon 'em!  Smiley
yeah, if you've got the dremmel, you should be able to do that, right?
By the way, they look very cool so far. Can't wait to see the finished product Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006 04:56:29 PM »

I just use a regular drill, but a dremel with a drill bit would have the same effect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006 12:05:32 AM »

I just use a regular drill, but a dremel with a drill bit would have the same effect.
Can you tell I don't have any powertools? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
yarncookie
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006 09:38:12 AM »

me neither naelany  Wink TO make holes, I sort of twirl a needle around in the goo the SECOND it comes out of the oven.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look at me, I'm on TV, it makes up for the shortcomings of being poor. Now I'm in a million pieces picked up for deliberation by the people listening at home, by the people watching on the telly...
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2006 09:39:24 AM »

me neither naelany  Wink TO make holes, I sort of twirl a needle around in the goo the SECOND it comes out of the oven.

ha!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2006 11:31:16 AM »

ha!!  Smiley
Tongue sweets Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kappy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006 04:26:19 AM »

Pinky has got to post pictures. The christmas trees came out spectacularly.

A regular drill with a 1/8 bit worked pretty well. The problem is that the bit gets hot enough, even on low speeds, to melt the beads. If you stop for any reason, the plastic will melt around the drill bit and you then have the potential to break (I broke 3) off the area where you are drilling.

Kappy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006 04:29:01 AM »

Oh, yeah... don't stop!  Cheesy

I can't wait to see the photos... Piiiinnnkkkyy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006 09:25:08 AM »

ssoooorrrrrryyyyyyy yy I had to actually work at work this morning! I know the horror!

Here is a close up shot of the spiky edges when they pop out of the mold.

Here is Kappy giving them the blow torch treatment to even them out:

Then, as he said, he drilled holes in them.

And then we tied ribbon through the holes. We got Kappy's sister to do the ribbon tying.  Grin

Here are the finished products:

We gave them away as party favors for Kappy's mom's surprise birthday party on Saturday night. You can read all about the party here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=137336.0

People were thrilled with them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006 04:39:41 PM »

Those came out totally cool-
the only thing cooler is that you two work together making them.
That just makes me smile : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2006 09:17:35 AM »

nice job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zlana
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006 08:48:45 AM »

Oh wow, those are amazing! I've been thinking about trying the melted bead thing for a long time now. I'm so glad you made this post, because I've wondered how silicone molds would work. You can buy really nifty ones on eBay, but I like these simpler ones too. I want to make pendants mainly, so I think maybe only one layer of beads if I try this. I've also been thinkin' I could get a similar effect if I fill a metal cookie cutter with beads. I'm a bit worried they'd stick, but it sounds from all the reading I've done like it would just pop off the metal.

I just love how you used the random multi colored beads as "ornaments" on the tree ones. SOOO cute!

I'm beginning to wonder if there should be a separate bead board just for bead melting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006 08:50:27 AM »

Cookie cutters work wonderfully!  Smiley

Unless, of course, you get obsessed with them and then you ask random Craftsters to start sending you their spare ones...buhaha... I have TONS of them now!  Cheesy

As they cool, they actually snap, crackle, pop, right from the metal.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006 09:25:10 AM »

Cookie cutters work wonderfully!  Smiley

As they cool, they actually snap, crackle, pop, right from the metal.  Smiley

But be careful! I did some using tiny cookie cutters and they had a lip on one side. I didn't notice the lip so I just loaded them up and melted away! Well the ones I did lip up came out fine! POP right out of the cookie cutter! The ones I did lip down got caught on the little lip and.... now that I think about it.....might still be stuck in there unless Kappy got all blow torch or dremel or something on them!  Embarrassed

See! I REALLY am a menace in the kitchen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenna rose
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006 12:47:30 AM »

If you make more of those, what about stringing them all up on one long cord with maybe beads inbetween or something and using as "garland" on a mantle or wrapped around a tree?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006 03:59:28 AM »

If you make more of those, what about stringing them all up on one long cord with maybe beads inbetween or something and using as "garland" on a mantle or wrapped around a tree?

ooooo that would be pretty!

We need to order more beads. Our bead stash is getting very low! Kappy found a place where you can order them in bulk by color, size, and style (e.g. faceted vs. nonfaceted). it is much cheaper and easier than buying one of those big bags at one of the local craft stores then separating the colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artisticnightmare
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006 06:39:09 PM »

I watched some home makeover show the other night, they used the silicone molds and a resin to make little star ornaments for every branch of a tree.  I don't know if the resin was more expensive or not.  He put glitter in some of them and it sank to the bottom, so they put some of them glitter side up and some glitter side down.  Very cute. 

I've only did this project once and i found the fumes to be very overpowering.  I did have the oven fan on and had to open the door (although it was 2 out at the time and the heat was on).  I'm thinking this will probably something better left for the Spring/Summer.  For me at least.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Harvest

If I hear 'Go ask your mother' one more time....

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2006 07:09:12 AM »

Love these.  They would look so great hanging in a sunny window and catching the light, I think.  I have several bags of the cheaper bulk beads stored somewhere.  My daughter loved them when she was little but has now grown on into other projects.  I'll have to dig them out.

I also bought some silicone bakeware on sale recently, but silly me has actually been cooking in them.  Maybe I can still find some more just for crafts.

Has anyone tried toaster ovens for this type of thing.  I have an old one that is pretty roomy and would be easy to set up outside.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be just an amateur, but I am a passionate amateur.
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2006 07:15:17 AM »

I watched some home makeover show the other night, they used the silicone molds and a resin to make little star ornaments for every branch of a tree.  I don't know if the resin was more expensive or not.  He put glitter in some of them and it sank to the bottom, so they put some of them glitter side up and some glitter side down.  Very cute. 

I've only did this project once and i found the fumes to be very overpowering.  I did have the oven fan on and had to open the door (although it was 2 out at the time and the heat was on).  I'm thinking this will probably something better left for the Spring/Summer.  For me at least.

I've made resin glitter stars! Only I turned mine into magnets! I used a cheapo walmart ice cube tray to make them. This ice cube tray was NOT rated for the oven so I haven't melted beads in it.  Wink

One warning though......resin smells MUCH worse than melting beads. Oy it stinks!

Here they are after I popped them out of the molds and before I glued the magnets on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artisticnightmare
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2006 02:14:56 PM »

I've made resin glitter stars! Only I turned mine into magnets! I used a cheapo walmart ice cube tray to make them. This ice cube tray was NOT rated for the oven so I haven't melted beads in it.  Wink

One warning though......resin smells MUCH worse than melting beads. Oy it stinks!

Here they are after I popped them out of the molds and before I glued the magnets on them.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k113/Allenkaperakdesigns/IMG_4141.jpg

Is the resin a less costly alternative?  I really know nothing about it.  What I do know is that the only local store that sells the beads only has the smaller packs at $2 each which makes 2 small bowls.  Because I screwed the second bowl up I had to go buy more. 

A note for those of you looking for cookie cutters- I was at the Goodwill today and they had bags of them for $1, most had at least 8 in them.  Some had rust spots on the outside and you could tell they were older, but the forms were still usable and if you're looking for a cheap way to go then you should check out your local re-sale shops.

<<<edited to remove photos from quote - please remember to delete the IMG tags when quoting ~ thanks!>>>
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006 02:58:56 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
atelier07020
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006 02:28:39 PM »

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k113/Allenkaperakdesigns/IMG_4141.jpg

Those are amazing! I am in love with all things resin but it never crossed my mind as a diy kinda thing.  I work in interior design & we have a client that has a resin bath tub, if you can believe that. Its slightly translucent - the coolest thing. Anyhoo, I'm completely inspired by your post.  I have to research this more & try to make some resin-y love for myself. Thanks for posting!! Smiley

<<<edited to remove photos from quote - please remember to delete the IMG tags when quoting ~ thanks!>>>
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006 02:59:24 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Lewis Carroll
naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006 02:52:00 PM »

Psst, don't forget to remove the tags for the images when quoting stuff, saves everyone space, especially Leah Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006 02:59:38 PM »

Psst, don't forget to remove the tags for the images when quoting stuff, saves everyone space, especially Leah Wink

Great reminder!  Smiley  Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006 03:09:43 PM »

Great reminder!  Smiley  Thanks!!
*giggles* you're welcome Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

atelier07020
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006 03:18:51 PM »

oops! thanks! Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Lewis Carroll
naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006 03:25:00 PM »

oops! thanks! Embarrassed
it happens Wink Don't worry about it Smiley Sometimes we just can't get enough of the cool crafts shown Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alo42d
I can fly, I can fly, I can fly

I do believe in fairies, I do, I do, I do, I do

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2006 09:07:03 PM »

be proud cause i just don't know what to say. i'm speechless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Follow the second star to the right and straight on till morning

Welcome to my Neverland

All we need is Faith, Trust, and a little bit of Pixie Dust

http://www.wists.com/alo42d
www.myspace.com/tinkerbell_alo42d
rubyflame
I am the Lizard Queen!

Helium balloons tempt me.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2006 10:27:53 PM »

To get holes in your shapes without using a drill, roll a piece of aluminum foil into the size and shape of a toothpick. Stick this between the beads where you want your hole to be and bake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And then my heart                      
with pleasure fills                
and dances with the daffodils
yarncookie
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2006 12:42:10 PM »

oooh good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look at me, I'm on TV, it makes up for the shortcomings of being poor. Now I'm in a million pieces picked up for deliberation by the people listening at home, by the people watching on the telly...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Thicken Hair
Hair Care Tips for Women
African American Hair Care Tips
How to Assess Thinning Hair
How to Fix Dull Hair Color
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...