A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
342 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: keeping track of what you want to do??  (Read 1665 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

squeakyweasels

Knitter, Writer, Yarner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006 12:27:00 PM »

I have a spreadsheet of "want to knit" patterns. If the pattern is online, I bookmark it and include the URL in the spreadsheet along with the yarn gauge and amount. If it's in a book or magazine, I write the publication and the page number. Whenever I go yarn shopping, I print the page and bring it with me in case I see a deal on something I need.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sell ecofriendly luxury yarn, recycled at
http://stitchpop.artfire.com
sweetpadee

I'll diffuse you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006 12:36:51 PM »

I found this wonderful website through Wists. Called CraftMemo, it's still in it's developing stages but it works well. You can upload a picture and  each of the materials used and needed for your project. You can also enter links to patterns, yarn suppliers, etc.

I use it for keeping track of my knitting and sewing projects. What's great about it is that you can access it anywhere with an internet connection!

www.craftmemo.com

I hope this is a good resource for some of you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maiziemama
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006 01:55:11 PM »

Ziploc bags are handy.  I put yarn and pattern inside, and stash away for when I can get around to it.... if I don't yet have a pattern, but yarn ( didn't my grandma say never to do thiss!!!!) I put it in the bag, and write what I think I will make.

I have a bookmark catagory entitled knitting patterns, where I stash all the online patterns I want to do soon.

Other than that...pretty random around here....and too many wip!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jesdmill
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006 02:11:36 PM »

I keep spreadsheets of both projects I want to do (and their supplies) and one of the yarn I currently own, sorted by weight.  I also bookmark patterns I find online, and occasionally I go through them and add the patterns I really love to the spreadsheet.  I buy much less extra yarn this way, because it's easy to match what I have with projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006 02:55:34 PM »

Ugh....  you are all SO organized!  I print patterns and then throw them into a now overflowing 3-ring binder.  I also bookmark a lot and then never remember what's there!  I'm going to try craft memo though, and I like the idea of the spreadsheet with the type and amount of yarn needed to take shopping!  What great ideas you all have!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
diosaperdida
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006 03:01:22 PM »

Sweetpadee..I haven't checked out that link..but I'm already excited!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006 03:03:46 PM »

i'm soooo happy i asked this question. you all have such great ideas.

i'll be tinkering with excel and checking out the link to see what works best for me.

can't wait to hear what else other people are doing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
Red Alibi

Change IS a Sound

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006 11:09:25 AM »

I'm pretty anal with keeping notes/patterns.

I bookmark everything, each in their own folder (knitting, crochet, sewing, jewlery, soap, embroidery and general crafts) plus name them so I know what they are. I also bookmark the blog if I got a pattern from it also in a nice folder named Blogs.

If i want to make something I print out the page and put it in a folder that is also tabbed in the same way.

Then when I start to make it the page gets put into a ring binder and gets a nice piece of note paper added to it.. binder is also tabbed for my pleasure..  Undecided I love organizing paper and files.

If there is a pdf available I save it in my wonderfully organized crafts folder..

and magazines.. I tab those with post-its in different colors.. coordinating with the type of craft. If I want to make the pattern I photo copy it and it gets added to the binder.

I'll stop before I scare myself with the ammount of time I put into storing things instead of making them! I don't get how this can be so organized but my room looks like a dump site!

The only thing i suck in is getting pictures of my finished projects.. or knowing what to use the yarn I have for!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maureenm241

The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006 01:28:31 PM »

I'm a big fan of the Excel organization plan, which I see many knitters use!

I have a master spreadsheet split into four categories: what's on the needles, patterns on deck for which I have yarn (either newly bought or in the stash), patterns on deck I don't have yarn for and long-term project ideas. The categories have fields for pattern name, pattern source, yarn (including brand name, type, weight, # skeins and price per skein), color and dates  & progress if started.

I also have a separate sheet for finished projects, WIPs on hold (isn't that an oxymoron?) and yarn inventory.

I don't know how the organization got this out of control, but I actually enjoy keeping it up-to-date. I can spend a lot of time deciding on just the perfect yarn sub for a project, comparing prices and projects. What's strange is that I'm never this organized with anything else in my life! Priorities, I guess Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PlayItGeorge
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006 08:51:32 PM »

Maybe after school lets out in a few weeks I will create an excel sheet tracking my knitting.

For now I just blog about stuff I want to make in the future, and when I need something to do I read my own archives. Often I will come across something that I posted months ago and totally forgot about.  I guess I am senile Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 6/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 5/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 7/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 3/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 4/19
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...