A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fudge it  (Read 1981 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 30, 2006 08:34:01 AM »

Ok, I've tried looking through the previous posts that have fudge in them. However, I couldn't find it. If I missed it, please direct me to the post. If I didn't miss it because the answer isn't there...then I beg you to read on and help a girl out Wink

I was thinking about fudge today, and also about coffee. And, more importantly, incorporating the coffee flavor into the fudge. How would I go about it?
Oh, no microwave fudge, please. We use the Kraft mellow jar recipe (you know the one I mean, right?), so any adaptations to that would be most welcome! C'mon, I'm not that crazy, am I? Coffee flavored fudge?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
seamonkeychik
LOOK OUT!

OoOo What I could do with this!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006 08:48:41 AM »

How about this?
http://foodgeeks.com/recipes/recipe/2086,coffee_fudge.phtml
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006 09:00:08 AM »

ouh, thank you. Very different from how we normally make it, but I think we'll try it, hopefully this coming week lol. Thank you!

Anyone have others, I'd still love to see them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
seamonkeychik
LOOK OUT!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006 10:14:43 AM »

Mocha
http://www.dianaskitchen.com/page/recipes04/a40122p.htm
Raspberry Coffee fudge mmm
http://www.thatsmyhome.com/fudge-recipes/raspberry-coffee.htm
Regular coffee fudge you have to scroll then some annoying pop up came up might be good but I didn't like the pop up
http://www.thatsmyhome.com/fudge-recipes/raspberry-coffee.htm
And finally another classic
http://www.fudge-recipes.net/coffee-fudge.htm

Hope these help. Never heard of coffee flavored fudge. It sounds awesome though and I might even try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006 10:26:56 AM »

wow, thank you! Hmm, which to try first.... Wink.

Well..it's coffee..and it's chocolate.... can't be too bad, right? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polkaroo
Running with scissors since 1978

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006 11:07:11 AM »

How about just stirring some instant coffee crystals into your usual recipe?

I'm assuming the one you're using is similar to this one: http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Mallow-creme%20fudge%20(fantasy%20fudge).  If so, I'd probably stir about 2-3 tbsp instant coffee into the fudge when the chocolate chips go in.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006 11:09:28 AM »

I think it is the same one, yes. I thought about that, as well. I don't know what it'll do though. Last year we attempted to make butterscotch fudge. While the taste was..well, awesome, the texture...not so much. It wouldn't set properly and was very...uhm...pliabl e? We used those butterscotch bits and added them much like you would chocolate chops
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polkaroo
Running with scissors since 1978

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006 11:29:25 AM »

Adding a bit of instant coffee shouldn't affect the chemistry of your fudge too badly.. it might have a slightly different texture from the usual, but not by much.

You can swap choco chips for any other kind of chips in certain recipes (ie. cookies, cakes, etc) since they're essentially staying whole... but when the chips are melted into the recipe (as in fudge), the difference in ingredients will throw off the chemistry of your final product.  It's similar to the lesson I learned when I swapped out rice flour for wheat when making a cake for a celiac friend... they're both flours, but they don't act the same way when you cook 'em certain ways.

The result you describe was probably due to the difference in sugar/fat ratio in the butterscotch chips.  You can definitely get away with swapping out milk choc for dark choc or vice versa, but it'll take a bit more tweaking to get the same end result if you're using PB or butterscotch chips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seamonkeychik
LOOK OUT!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006 11:54:36 AM »

If it is instant coffee and you have some form of liquid substance in the ingredients...IE water, milk, evap milk why couldn't you add the instant coffee to the liquid going into the fudge rather than whole crystals? At least this way it would "melt" or do w/e instant coffee does (I have never actually had instant coffee) and flavor one of the ingredients as well, coffe? I think I confused myself. Did I just make sense? Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006 12:05:23 PM »

If it is instant coffee and you have some form of liquid substance in the ingredients...IE water, milk, evap milk why couldn't you add the instant coffee to the liquid going into the fudge rather than whole crystals? At least this way it would "melt" or do w/e instant coffee does (I have never actually had instant coffee) and flavor one of the ingredients as well, coffe? I think I confused myself. Did I just make sense? Undecided
I think you did...sort of lol. I get what you're saying though lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kamran Pasha Reveals His Favorite Movie
Susanna Clarke Wishes She Had This Talent
Ian Halperin Talks About Unmasked: The Final Years of Michael Jackson
Charles R. Smith Jr. Talks About My People
Brendan McNally Talks About Germania
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...