A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,390
Currently Running With Scissors:
798 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Share a technique  (Read 96272 times)
Tags for this thread: atc_techniques  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #770 on: May 20, 2011 01:02:07 AM »

One more tip (I hope I'm not talking to myself here, gheghe) about borders.

I have two templates that I use for cutting ATC backgrounds out of materials that don't go through my printer, or to test weather a picture I want to use has the right size. I made them out of cardboard, but I'm planning on making new ones out of a transparent material.

One of my templates is the exact size of an ATC, the other is a little bit smaller.
If you cut one background using the largest template and another (in a different colour) using the smaller template, you can glue the smaller one on the bigger one and the part where they don't overlap makes a pretty border.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #771 on: May 21, 2011 09:32:03 AM »

Templates are always great. I have a template made with all my punches. I just used each one and punched them into a heavy piece of black paper. That way I can see how any pattern or image will look before I actually go to punch them out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
pincushion_queen

old fashioned, but fashionable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #772 on: August 13, 2011 02:59:23 AM »

I stumbled across this thread yesterday and after reading up to page 47 I had to go outside (before my eyes went completely square) so I thought what better to do but go and buy some packing tape! I cannot thank you guys enough for sharing this technique, I am in love!!! I've spent all afternoon butchering an old copy of Pop and making these:

I just need to decide what to do with them...

thanks again! x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #773 on: August 13, 2011 11:09:33 AM »

hehehe...square eyes..I like that.  And I'm tickled your so in love!  I love packing tape anyway (as anyone who has gotten a recycled box in a swap from me would know...I cover every inch in tape) and it is such a fun and simple technique.  AND the first thought I had when I saw the longer strips was, "OO cuff bracelets!".  Happy crafting Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
pincushion_queen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #774 on: August 13, 2011 05:46:14 PM »

CUFF BRACELETS!! Genius! Now I just have to find out how to do that.... any ideas? x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

« Reply #775 on: August 13, 2011 07:09:51 PM »

CUFF BRACELETS!! Genius! Now I just have to find out how to do that.... any ideas? x

Well...it depends a bit on how thick the tape you used is.  I think I would back it with another piece of tape if it is the thinner kind. Then sew it down to a fabric base of some sort. Make sure you increase the stitch length a bit, or if your doing it by hand, keep the stitches a bit far apart. The closer they are together, the more likely it is to rip the tape. Then just add a snap. You might be able to just put a few layers of tape on the back to make it thicker and to protect the picture and then add a snap. But I think I would add a bunch of tape where the snap bits go to make it less likely to rip out. Best of luck..and post what you do please.  I would love to see it Grin

OO and folks at the on going ATC swap have been making all kinds of cool cards with this technique.  SO it would work for any kind of paper crafting too.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011 07:11:22 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
pincushion_queen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #776 on: August 14, 2011 06:26:37 PM »

Cheesy Thanks a lot Suereal, I'm def gonna try this! i'll pop some photos up once I've finished x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal

« Reply #777 on: August 14, 2011 06:57:20 PM »

Sweet Grin.  It occurred to me last night that there are some very cool duct tapes these days.  They could be used to edge the packing tape to reinforce it and still keep the packing tapes see-through..ness Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sprinklez
« Reply #778 on: August 21, 2011 11:37:54 AM »

Well...it depends a bit on how thick the tape you used is.  I think I would back it with another piece of tape if it is the thinner kind. Then sew it down to a fabric base of some sort. Make sure you increase the stitch length a bit, or if your doing it by hand, keep the stitches a bit far apart. The closer they are together, the more likely it is to rip the tape. Then just add a snap. You might be able to just put a few layers of tape on the back to make it thicker and to protect the picture and then add a snap. But I think I would add a bunch of tape where the snap bits go to make it less likely to rip out. Best of luck..and post what you do please.  I would love to see it Grin

OO and folks at the on going ATC swap have been making all kinds of cool cards with this technique.  SO it would work for any kind of paper crafting too.

That's an excellent idea! You could also do bangles! If you have on that's an appropriate width you can just tape it right on and perhaps seal it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

adlp
« Reply #779 on: October 03, 2011 04:42:29 PM »

How do you finish fabric ATCs?  Cut them and affix to front of stiff surface?  Sew them into a little pouch with the stiff surface inside?  Just cut larger than the card and affix it to the back after folding it over the edges?  I'd appreciate any ideas....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Anime Girls
How to Draw a Caricature
Learn How to Draw Michael Jackson
How to Draw a Profile
How to Make Your Own Oil Paints
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...