A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 306,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 79
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Share a technique  (Read 138032 times)
Tags for this thread: atc_techniques  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sindy
« Reply #570 on: April 11, 2007 12:49:38 PM »

Actually, I posted about this waaaaay back at the beginning of this thread!  lol  I think I even posted pics   It works well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #571 on: April 11, 2007 12:55:09 PM »

Just in case anyone else has had this problem, I thought I would post my "oh duh" moment from last night.  I'm embarassed about it, but like I said, it might be helpful!

For months I've been trying to use rub-ons, but they never worked for me.  I read and re-read the instructions, rubbed for tens of minutes, tried rubbing with different things (bone folders, spoons, etc.) and they never worked.

Last night I looked at the instructions one more time.  They say to make sure to rub hard at the edges to get the transfer started.  I had always assumed this meant the edge of the image -- my "oh duh" moment was realizing that it meant the edge of the cut out piece, including the little border of clear stuff left when I cut it out.   Shocked  I had rub-ons transfered a mere three minutes later.

I feel like a total goof not realizing this before, but I'm sharing it just in case someone else has had the same problem!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
farmgirljane
« Reply #572 on: April 22, 2007 11:31:42 PM »

Not sure if this is a new tecnique or if I have just fluked it and discovered one myself.  The background of this card was made by cutting up the plastic foil type chip/lollie wrappers.  Use permanent markers (haven't tried other mediums) and colour in on the silver/inside of the wrapper, place the colored in wrapper between a couple of layers of baking paper and gently glide a hot iron over it. Do not press as it will need room to move as it shrinks, and do not leave on for very long (a hot iron should do it in a couple of seconds) or you will burn holes in it, but this in itself gives a nice lacy effect.  Because of the course texture you will need a good glue and best to weight it down with books till it has set.  On this card the purple and pink are one pice of wrapper the yellow and blue are separate pieces. 

Blowing bubbles - traded

« Last Edit: April 25, 2007 02:45:51 PM by farmgirljane » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sindy
« Reply #573 on: April 23, 2007 12:17:16 AM »

Jane, I love that!  But I didn't need another reason to eat the junk food!  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss*Laurence

Trainee Fairy Godmother

View Profile WWW
« Reply #574 on: April 23, 2007 03:44:23 AM »

Wow, this is a fantastic effect! It's like Tyvek.

Hey, great! one more recycling idea + an excuse for buying sweets ! Me like!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If God had wanted us to be naturists, we would have been born that way."

Want to know what I am making today?
http://editionslm.typepad.com/be_crafty_be_happy/
my website:
http://www.miss-laurence.co.uk
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: April 23, 2007 04:17:47 AM »

wow that looks surreal. Almost looks like a 3d-render rather than an actual scan.. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."

...oh, if it wasn't clear, I'm rarely completely serious. Smiley
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #576 on: April 23, 2007 09:36:26 AM »

I've never seen that wrapper effect before farmgirljane. Very cool!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
losing.penny
« Reply #577 on: April 25, 2007 09:15:55 AM »

so i just looked through all 58 pages(it's so easy to waste time when i log into this site! Tongue) and i have to say you guys are amazing! i want to try everything right away! i wish i had some awesome tip to share with you guys...if i think of something, i'll post back. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You have to have a high conception, not of what you are doing, but of what you may do one day: without that, there's no point in working." ~Edgar Degas
losing.penny
« Reply #578 on: April 25, 2007 02:22:13 PM »

hey just thought i'd post some transfers i did today. i couldn't get all the white stuff completely off the backs but i'm happy with how they turned out. and instead of packing tape, i used laminating paper. so here they are. Smiley

excuse my dumb face...

and my personal favorite...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You have to have a high conception, not of what you are doing, but of what you may do one day: without that, there's no point in working." ~Edgar Degas
sewknitter

have needles will sew, knit, crochet, tat. . swap!

« Reply #579 on: April 30, 2007 08:00:31 AM »

Okay, I just bought a bunch of blue moon beeswax (because there was a sale and it was relatively inexpensive)

Here's my first ATC using the technique:

Postage Head People ATC, "eating out of hand"

I glued the magazine part down, then beeswaxed on all the other elements.

I could have poured, but I didn't, instead I used a very cheap brush to apply and create a texture.

I don't have a heat gun and so I heated the wax the way I melt my chocolate for cooking -- using my coffee pot burner!

This is a pretty good heat, because the temperature is low enough that it doesn't burn. Also the low temperature causes the wax to set up fairly quickly.

This low temperature was a plus and a negative. Plus because I could scrape off any part that was too thick, negative, because sometimes it was faster than I could work.

Yes, teeisme, you are my guinea pig! Hope you like it! --Tee, also my first ever PP ATC!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.cara4webshopping.com
knitting looms, embroidery machines, weaving,  knitting software~all discounted!

Shop My Swap  Shop 31
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 79 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...