A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,938
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 79
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Share a technique  (Read 105208 times)
Tags for this thread: atc_techniques  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyImperfections

Paper cuts and hot glue burns since 1985

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: March 20, 2007 04:33:04 AM »

Maybe that's why, I kept saying GUESS-O!  On a side note, I used some spackle last night and it turned out pretty cool!  The trick is to put it on lightly and thinly, then kind of draw your design, or just make cool swirlys  Cheesy  then let it dry really well.  If you glob it on it flakes of easily, but if you use a thin coat it comes out looking pretty cool!  I used a make up sponge to add some ink to it when it dried and that looks REALLY cool!  I'll post the picture on my lunch break, see ya then!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's swap.
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #451 on: March 20, 2007 05:43:22 AM »

If you are still interested in gesso, here's where to find it:  at both Michael's and JoAnn's in Maryland, craft gesso is shelved with the crafty paints (at Michael's, this is almost always in the same aisle as the glues).  I would assume that it wouldn't be that different in Virginia.  You should be able to find a 2 ounce bottle of FolkArt, Americana or Apple Barrel brand gesso, for about $0.75 - $1.50, depending on the brand.  It looks like white paint, and it will be labeled "gesso".  This is much cheaper than the fine art gessos, and you'll be able to experiment with it and decide if it's worth it to splurge on the more expensive gessos.

I've read that for white gesso, it doesn't matter what you buy, but for black or textured gessos, it's better to buy the more expensive fine art brands.  Since I've never used anything but the cheapo craft brands, I can't really comment on that from personal experience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xamonster

"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: March 20, 2007 08:09:40 AM »

We were using gesso in second or third grade in art class, and I remember something like "one, two, back in the gesso!" for whatever random project we were working on. (I miss that classroom ... there was a giant fiberglass piece of toast with an egg on it.)

Ahem. Techniques ...

You get a very interesting effect if you layer lots of different colors of highlighters over crayon ... just ask my computer monitor at work how it likes its little animal decorations. Cheesy (I've got an owl, a sea turtle, a pig with wings, and a sheep that says "fleece navidad" stuck to it. Drew 'em on index cards and cut 'em out. Love it.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I brought you flours."

Check out my blog and my wist!
goatgoddess
« Reply #453 on: March 20, 2007 08:13:28 AM »

Katxena - I didn't even know it came in the cheap bottles - I would have been all over that <G>

CraftyImperfections - oh your poor craft supplies - hope you find something soon for your supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amaryllisroze
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

« Reply #454 on: March 20, 2007 08:50:29 AM »

I've tried several kinds of gesso and I don't care for the standard acrylic paint brands. Then I got some other funky kind and its really odd...almost oily, and I don't like the way it handles.

Then I got a jar of Demco Artist Series for oil & acrylic (that's what the jar says)...8 oz for $3.99 at Hobby Lobby...I think I like this kind.

But I really, really want a jar of Golden's black gesso. I'm not sure why, but I'm sure I'll find a use for it. I just haven't talked myself into the $13 for an 8 oz jar. I've only found it at one place locally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
CraftyImperfections

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 20, 2007 09:49:56 AM »

Alrighty!  As promised, the spackle!  I didn't use one of my precut ATC papers, just a cardstck scrap, so don't judge my edges!  Again, it was rush-rush, so the actual design will be much cooler!  
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/CraftyImperfections/spackle.jpg
Thanks for the well wishes on my craft shelf.  The hubby thinks it can be rescued....so no new fancy pants desk for me yet!  I'm still holding out for it though!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013 02:44:50 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's swap.
CraftyImperfections

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 20, 2007 09:52:01 AM »

I just realized that A- it's HUGE! and B- it's hard to make out!  The spackle is only in the middle and I just blotted the ink pad on top a couple of times before I used the sponge so...looks crappy, but you see the potential no?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's swap.
goatgoddess
« Reply #457 on: March 20, 2007 10:47:40 AM »

potential - oh yes - thanks for posting - that would be cool on a larger surface too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #458 on: March 20, 2007 10:53:48 AM »

hmm... so do you think it would hold up to postal abuse?  I know when I use it on a stretched canvas (collaged, painted and sealed) it still develops little cracks and thats just from hanging on the wall.  good thing I'm all about the distressed look Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap 2014 Winter Market SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
CraftyImperfections

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 20, 2007 02:59:07 PM »

That's kinda how I felt about it... the reason I'd use it is for more of a distressed look as well.  I'm gonna let this sit for a few days then heavily abuse it (sounds kinda creepy) and see what happens.  Also, I'm gonna try to hit it with some kind of spray adhesive and see if it helps.  Again, I used a VERY thin coat, and I think that might help keep the chiping at bay.  At the very least I can use it in my personal journal where it won't have the chance to chip!  I'm gonna try a few other things and let yall know if they come out looking good or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's swap.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 79 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Sheer Fashions This Fall
New Technology To Fight Against Fake Goods
Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez Got Seriously Sexy for 2013 Teen Choice Awards
Teen Choice Awards Best Dressed
Summer 2013 Essential Swimwear
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...