A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,058
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 79
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Share a technique  (Read 93674 times)
Tags for this thread: atc_techniques  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kiwipuppyluv

You MADE that??? HOLY SWEETNESS!!!

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 04, 2009 10:53:19 PM »

okay, here's a basic altering technique that some of you new to the genre might not know about-packing tape transfers.  Use the clear packing tape, the kind for cardboard boxes (which is also a great size for ATC's) or you can also use clear contac paper.  Choose what you want to transfer-your paper must be a TONER copy (not inkjet or laser), book, magazine and newspaper pages work well too.

1. Stick the packing tape over the paper you want to transfer (on the side that you want to have at the end)

2. Take a soup spoon and burnish all over with lots of pressure for a minute or two, try not to miss any spots (unless thats what you mean to do Wink)

3. Soak the whole deal in some warm water for a few minutes, then start rubbing off the paper with your fingers.  Thick pages might have to be soaked again.  Continue until all the paper is off, let dry and use for fantastic art.

This is great for overlaying of print or "ghost" pictures.  The only drawback is how shiny the tape is if you like a matte finish. 

I JUST finished trying this. OH my GOSH! I LOOOOOOVE it!!!! Thank you so much for the idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kiwi
KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 07, 2009 07:32:52 PM »

This is not a specific technique; however, I wanted to share  a couple of items that have proven indispensable to me when making ATCs:

1. A Folding Bone. You can also find them in acrylic/hard plastic. I do not own one made from real bone, but my plastic one has proven useful time and time again. Mine has a metal loop on the narrow end that is used for scoring paper. I use it often to gently press down small glued pieces such as words and small paper cut outs that a brayer would be too big for.

2. Decal Tweezers. These are usually found in hobby shops in the modeling department. These work great for keeping glue off the fingers when trying to apply small elements to the ATC.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
Narimasu

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: November 11, 2009 08:24:45 AM »

I'm so excited ---- I just did this --- it's so cool.  The regular old fashion Dynamo label maker like this:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/sindy42/Image1.jpg

and regular cardstock scraps cut the size of the Dynamo tape and put thru the dynamo:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/sindy42/Image2.jpg

Talk about texture and matching the rest of your card!!!!!!  This is just so cool!  I used cardstock that was black all the way thru so I put a little chalk on the letters so that you could see them.  But if you used cardstock that had a different color (white) back then you could sand lightly and give it a distressed look.

My paper shredder makes strips about the right size to run through my Dymo. I have to make sure the strip is running straight across the bottom edge of the alignment thingy, but that doesn't seem to be a big problem. My 4 year old grandson loves to make labels with the Dymo and this gives him all the strips he can use without using the spendy real labels. Plus it's really handy for me to not have to cut little pieces!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009 09:55:07 AM by rackycoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Claire
sprinklez
« Reply #743 on: January 10, 2010 07:00:41 PM »

this website is amazing for background and stamp techniques. I believe way back in the beginning of the thread, someone posted her old website, but that site's down now, so here's the new one.

http://trishbee.co.uk/techniqueszone/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrintableVintagePapers
« Reply #744 on: January 11, 2010 04:28:59 PM »

How I make stickers Instructions

first I cut out my image
Place face down on 2 inch packing tape
Press image into tape
Cut out image leaving a little tape around the image
Now I have a sticker!

For larger images use clear contact paper.

Heres a tip:  If you are selling your stickers, you may want to seal the back as well. To do this, start with your picture face up on the taper. Cut out the image exactly, leaving no extra tape; then follow the instructions above.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sprinklez
« Reply #745 on: January 11, 2010 04:47:28 PM »

Silly tip, but I always use a magazines as a work surface. It's a good cutting mat because it's nice and thick, and it's good for gluing because if the page you're on gets too sticky, you can just rip it off and use the next.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #746 on: January 11, 2010 09:59:25 PM »

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but I have been using a Gesso resist technique with acrylic to get a grungy look. It can be used with other mediums too
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/gessoresist/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #747 on: January 12, 2010 11:02:15 AM »

That's a great technique, raerae! Thanks for posting that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #748 on: January 12, 2010 11:54:48 AM »

You're welcome! I finished the top layer of paint today for a background and instead of using a paint brush I painted with my fingers. I got more control and the prints on my fingers added a little bit to the streaky texture I wanted.

Also, I use this really cheapy poster paint instead of acrylic wash. It's watery and probably really cheap. Some one gave me some bottles years ago. Great for distressing and adding hints of color.

Anyone here have great examples for use of Stickles? I'm trying to understand the appeal but I'm thinking glitter in my own art is just not my think. (Though I adore glitter)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sprinklez
« Reply #749 on: January 12, 2010 03:19:51 PM »

What on earth are stickles? I searched it and glitter glue came up. Is that it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 79 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Exclusive: How to Apply Mascara
Daytime to Nighttime Look for Holiday Parties
How To Keep Wrinkles From Showing Through Foundation, from Bobbi Brown
What Works On Criss-Cross Wrinkles? From Bobbi Brown
Foods That Are Good For The Skin, from Bobbi Brown
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...