A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,645
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 79
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Share a technique  (Read 102739 times)
Tags for this thread: atc_techniques  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sandkitty
Here I am! Over HERE!!

Let's create some ART!

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 21, 2007 02:16:16 PM »

incredible tip/technique! The speckled stone spray would be awesome and add a texture---another great idea! You rock!

Here's a very tiny tip.Go to a paper supply store (think college) and ask for editors tape.It's very thin almost like 1/8th in. wide.Place it just a little from the edge inward on the ATC.Then paint,user markers,or whatever to color it in.Remove tape and voila clean edges.Or I guess if you can't find it use a ruler? Cheesy.Then put emphanar (excuse spelling) on inside .I'm thinking of using spray paint that looks like stone on edges.Maybe not sure. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boatbird
Nutty as a fruitcake!

Nutty as a fruitcake!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #681 on: June 22, 2007 11:19:31 AM »

incredible tip/technique! The speckled stone spray would be awesome and add a texture---another great idea! You rock![end quote]

Oh dear! (stone spray/ you rock) hur hur

Roll Eyes

69 pages and my eyes hurt Smiley

So, other techniques not necessarily from ATC's though but other sources (ie mum being a playgroup person!)

The bubbles with poster paint work well (three and four year olds love them too!)

Printing from painted bits of string- dunk different lengths of string/ yarn etc (try them knotted too!) into liquid paint- (poster paint for cheapness and bright colours), spream them into a plastic tray, cover with a piece of paper and press.

Proper marbling- you don't see this very often now! Tray about 2 inches deep, half filled with water. Mix a little oil paint (bright colours work better) with something to thin it (turps, special thinners or white spirit) and drop a few drops on the surface of the water. Add maybe two other colours... drag different things through the water to create patterns but don't swirl too much as the colours will start to blend together... (try using a fork or just give the water a stir). Then carefully lay the paper on the top of the water (make sur eno air bubbles and it doesn't go under the surface!). Peel off the paper carefully and leave it flat to dry.
You can also get special marbling inks but that takes the fun out of it!

Oil pastels can be thinned with white spirits and spread around like paint... blended together etc.

Can anyone remember playing with glass marbles as a kid. Drop some in some poster paint, put a piece of paper at the bottom of a tray (at least one inch deep) and roll the marbles over the paper. Great fun!

Piece of cardboard- plain white non shiny. Add small snippets of thread, yarns, sequins, ribbon, foil and other sweetie wrappers. Cover with clingfilm (I think you call it shrinkwrap in the US?), place a piece of baking parchment over the top and iron on a fairly hot setting. Sets the threads to the cardboard base well! Makes good gift tags!

Stamps with an eraser. Rather than carving the eraser, choose one with a lovely shiny smooth surface and write on it with a biro (the opposite of how you want it to come out obviously!) and press onto paper. The stamp will last for a couple of prints, you can go over it with biro again and when you are done, it wipes off. Unique- one of a kind prints!

Hope these inspire you Wink

Kathryn aka BoatBird

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happy 100 themes tally 1/100
100 themes tally 2/100
I don't believe in reincarnation and I didn't believe in it when I was a hamster! (Shane Ritchie)
Teeisme

That's my boy, Petey!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #682 on: June 22, 2007 01:44:16 PM »

Great tips Kathryn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tee
finished the 100 ATC Theme Challenge!!
I'm the ATC - DT in a new Vintage group. Come join me   http://vintageflaire.ning.com/
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #683 on: June 22, 2007 03:18:55 PM »

luv to see this thread kept alive- thanx for the new tips Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap 2014 Winter Market SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
boatbird
Nutty as a fruitcake!

Nutty as a fruitcake!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #684 on: June 24, 2007 12:36:41 AM »

Thought of something else we did at school...

Damp paper and throw powder fabric dyes on it (well-ventilated area, dust mask and gloves- didn't realise at the time these things are dangerous!!). Sprinkle with sea salt and allow to dry flat. You get some lovely effects like this!

Batik... mainly done on fabric but can be done on paper too. Drizzle hot waz onto a piece of paper and when wax is dry paint the paper to get some white bits (depending on the colour of the paper) and some coloured bits. You can then iron the paper between greaseproof paper sheets to remove the wax, add some more and paint in a different colour. Or you can leave the wax there, crinkle the papar and then paint in a different colour (obviously better if you use a light colour paint/dye the first time and a darker one the second!)

Printing the easy way.... spread paint onto a lovely smooth surface-- we used to use formica sheets, spread the paint out, press things into it (string, fingers, cutlery, coins etc etc) then press a piece of paper over the top, making sure that you get no air bubbles and remove carefully after smoothing over paint surface. Leave to dry!

I'm sure I'll think of more and come up with something different but there's a couple more ideas for backgrounds for you Smiley

Kathryn aka Boatbird
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 themes tally 2/100
I don't believe in reincarnation and I didn't believe in it when I was a hamster! (Shane Ritchie)
Teeisme

That's my boy, Petey!

« Reply #685 on: June 24, 2007 02:57:05 AM »

Girl, you're a technique machine, lol.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tee
finished the 100 ATC Theme Challenge!!
I'm the ATC - DT in a new Vintage group. Come join me   http://vintageflaire.ning.com/
kikigirl
Einstein was hot when he was young

Let's dance! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #686 on: June 24, 2007 11:25:37 AM »

Thought of something else we did at school...

Damp paper and throw powder fabric dyes on it (well-ventilated area, dust mask and gloves- didn't realise at the time these things are dangerous!!). Sprinkle with sea salt and allow to dry flat. You get some lovely effects like this!

Batik... mainly done on fabric but can be done on paper too. Drizzle hot waz onto a piece of paper and when wax is dry paint the paper to get some white bits (depending on the colour of the paper) and some coloured bits. You can then iron the paper between greaseproof paper sheets to remove the wax, add some more and paint in a different colour. Or you can leave the wax there, crinkle the papar and then paint in a different colour (obviously better if you use a light colour paint/dye the first time and a darker one the second!)

Printing the easy way.... spread paint onto a lovely smooth surface-- we used to use formica sheets, spread the paint out, press things into it (string, fingers, cutlery, coins etc etc) then press a piece of paper over the top, making sure that you get no air bubbles and remove carefully after smoothing over paint surface. Leave to dry!

I'm sure I'll think of more and come up with something different but there's a couple more ideas for backgrounds for you Smiley

Kathryn aka Boatbird

TY for all the great ideas!

I think you can use watercolors too for the salt effect too...so I've heard but haven't actually tried.

I adore the printing technique and want to try it soon.

Also, TY to whomever suggested the idea for using mop-n-glo...such a great finish!  Hate the smell but that is for almost everything and a minor defect when compared to the result.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boatbird
Nutty as a fruitcake!

Nutty as a fruitcake!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #687 on: June 25, 2007 08:56:16 AM »

Metal decals (from recycled materials!!!! It's free!!!!)

Just worked this one out...

Carefully cut the top of a soft drinks can (coke for example...) and then cut off the bottom (about 2cm from either end so the metal is softer). Then cut the tube so it's a slightly bendy strip. Press this flat in a heavy book.
Cut a strip about 5 cm (2 inches) wide from one end. Cut this into two to make two piece to work with.
On the printed side, draw a design with a biro (preferably one that can take the strain) while leaning on a soft-ish base (mouse mat works well!). The other side should be all embossed and pretty and then you can trim the edges to shape the decal better. (I've just made a flower so far for the 100 themes....!!!!!) You can make them any size but obviously smaller will work better for ATC's.
I guess you can also punch or pierce holes in them for use as buttons (but don't use them as proper buttons!!!) or similar.

Please be careful of sharp edges!

Hope you like this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 themes tally 2/100
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #688 on: June 25, 2007 10:00:17 AM »

Metal decals (from recycled materials!!!! It's free!!!!)

Hope you like this one!
Could you please possibly post a picture of one? I'm not sure what you mean,but I know it sounds cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
boatbird
Nutty as a fruitcake!

Nutty as a fruitcake!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #689 on: June 25, 2007 11:39:37 AM »

Will do so tomorrow- if the server machine is working I can scan one, otherwise I will have to take a photo...... wait twelve hours or so till this post is edited!!

Okay server's working but for some reason I can't scan- and my digital camera just died so I can't post a pic til tomorrow!

Grrrr. I only came up to the internet cafe in this heat to do this (reports of 54 deg C here, 120 deg F) Til tomorrow adieu!

Right, finally managed to scan the picture!!!! how do I upload it?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007 02:22:26 AM by boatbird » THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 themes tally 2/100
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 79 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Working with the Pen Tool
Macromedia Flash 8 - Comparing Vectors and Bitmaps
Macromedia Flash 8 - Introduction to Drawing with Vectors
Macromedia Flash 8 - Using Outline Mode, Layer Folders and Properties
Macromedia Flash 8 - Customizing Keyboard Shortcuts and Locking Layers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...