A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,516
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Once a Month Cooking - Freezer Meals - Need Help!!!!  (Read 1400 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NLJ
« on: November 30, 2006 06:57:34 AM »

I want to start doing the once or twice a month cooking and freezing all of the meals.  Does anyone do this?  Any suggestions on menus and where to begin.  Does anyone know of any good websites that help plan once a month cooking?

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Polkaroo
Running with scissors since 1978

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006 11:18:33 AM »

You can take a lot of your existing recipes and modify them slightly for freezer cooking... the only things to avoid are potatoes, since the freezing process does bad things to the texture.

I tend to make most of my meals the day of, but if I make soups and stews, I make a point of making a huge batch so I can freeze leftovers in single-serve containers for lunches and the occasional dinner when I feel lazy.  My favourites are legume-based dishes like chili, lentil soup, baked beans.  I also do minestrone soup (minus pasta, which I add in when the soup gets reheated), curries, beef stew (minus potatoes... I boil those separately the day of and stir into the reheated stew).

My mom also used to make several lasagnas at once and keep them in the freezer.  Just leave out the top layer of cheese, bake for half the time suggested on the recipe, then freeze.  On the day you're planning on serving, add the top layer of shredded cheese and bake for the last half of the cook time on the recipe.

Here's a great site to get you started: http://www.realfood4realpeople.com/oamc.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McAuliflower
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006 11:27:08 AM »

Just a suggestion: limiting yourself to once or twice a month cooking only is a bit on the extreme side. 

I don't know what your situation is, but maybe cooking once a week would be a good way to test this version of cooking out.  Remember- leftovers keep in the fridge 4 days top.

Also- some foods (like frozen stir fry mix, and other veggies) can be so easily cooked as is.  Like just tossing frozen vegetables into cooking pasta water.  Cooking them and freezing again, will likely degrade their texture and flavor significantly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

save your fork- there's pie! http://www.browniepointsblog.com
thismomsews
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006 12:05:44 PM »

I tried this a while back- But I am not very organized and it was just too much for me, so I just do a few of our favorite things in bulk when I make them. Then I only have to thaw it out later on. Also, I do not have enough freezer space for all of that food either!  Mostly I do chili, shredded beef for sandwiches, spagetti sauce, ground beef for taco salads and enchiladas, baked ziti. 
I got these books from the library when I tried this and here are their websites:
-Frozen Assets: How to cook for a day and eat for a month
by Deborah Taylor-Hough http://members.aol.com/oamcloop/
The Freezer Cooking Manual
by Nanci Slagle and Tara Wohlenhaus http://www.30daygourmet.com/

I also had these bookmarked:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/pdf/5402.pdf (tips on freezing foods)
http://www.dinnersinthefreezer.com/

When I was looking around, there are many people who are committed to do this- search google and yahoo groups. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikkisixx666
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006 12:08:57 PM »

I like to keep individual portions of chili in the freezer so if I can't make a fresh lunch I can just grab one of them.  I always add a couple of cups of mushrooms and a bunch of diced zucchini to my chili so that that it has more vegetable content than just the tomato.  I find both the mushrooms and zucchini freeze quite well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006 02:40:20 PM »

You might want to consider just making some basic things in bulk once a month that you can use for a variety of dishes.  Things that take a lot of time but that are versatile are good candidates for this.  Stock would be a good example of this.  You could make a big pot of it and freeze it in small quantities.  You can use it for soup (add veggies and maybe some cooked chicken) or the base for sauces or in lots of dishes. 

If time is the main issue, you might want to invest in a crock pot.  You can do all the prep work the night before, toss it in the pot in the morning and let it slow cook all day while you're at work.  When you get home dinner is all ready for you.  FlyLady's site has more info and lots of crock pot recipes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeesaLove
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006 06:00:59 AM »

I wish I had the freezer space to cook a month at a time.
But what I like to do is get 2 or 3 crock pots going at the same time. One with Soup, one with stew & one with red sauce.
I usually do a chicken veggie soup. (leaving out the pasta as was suggested here & cooking pasta in the soup it self as I heat it to eat it. So I cook my soups with lots of stock.)
A very meatty stew with lots of carrots, peas, etc.
Then either a red sauce or chilli. I make the red sause really thick with very basic seasonings, black pepper, garlic & maybe a little pinch of salt, so that before I add the more itialion spices I can freeze some & use that as a started for chilil next time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006 12:21:12 PM »

in addition to all those other great ideas previously mentioned, here are a few more things you could try:

*shephard's pie (everyone has their own special recipe to make this.)

*Meat pies (sort of like the shephards pie but in individual serving sizes.  I buy puff pastry at the store because I am pie crust challenged.  I can get 2 pies per sheet if i roll it out a bit first. You just stick whatever raw meat and veggies you want inside. I make a bunch of these ahead of time and stick them in the freezer.  I think i cook mine for about 45 min at 350 or 375.  Depends on your oven and crust you use. They really need to be thawed in the fridge before you cook them or the outside gets browned before the inside is cooked.) 

* mini pizzas.  (these are my husband's fav to take to work for lunch.  I use pitas for crust.  Add whatever sauce and toppings you like, then cook them until they are heated through and the cheese is melty.  I let them cool, then stick them in the freezer.  You can reheat them either in the oven or microwave.

*waffles.  Hey why not breakfast for dinner!  Whenever I make waffles i always  make extra.  I either reheat them in the toaster or in a skillet.  There are all kinds of different waffle recipes out there.  you could do a similar thing with french toast

*meat loaf.  Mix up all your fav ingredients.  Line your meat loaf pan with tinfoil.  stick in the raw meat.  freeze.  once the meat is frozen you can take the pan out.  When you're ready to cook it, just stick it back in the pan and with the foil you've got easy clean up.  this is especially good to do if you are making multiple meatloaves or mini meatloaves.

*hamburgers.  We often make fancy burgers with all kinds of goodies like mushrooms or cheese in them.  We'll make extra and freeze the uncooked preshaped patties.

I second the crock pot idea.  They are wonderful!  you don't even have to thaw the meat most of the time.  Just toss and go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Luckie_Strike
Lemony fresh victory is mine!

I met Mike Lamb!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006 03:01:26 PM »

I belong to a once a month (or so) cooking list on yahoogroups, and basically what most people do is cook tons of meat products at the same time (like for ground beef, cook some that can be used for tacos, make meatballs, make hamburgers, make meatloaf, and freeze them, store them. repeat for chicken, pork, turkey, whatever.)  Some people cook pastas for their meals, but cook it to where it's not quite al dente, because it will soften whenever you reheat the food, and if you cook it to al dente, it'll be soft and gross.  Potatoes can be frozen, but they have to be cooked first, otherwise they get dark and icky.  So, you can bake potatoes, halve them and scoop out the innards, mix with cheese, sour cream, bacon bits, etc, repile it into the shells, and freeze them.  I think the key is flash freezing, which is having the items separate on a cookie sheet in the freezer until they're frozen, then store them in the bag.  This keeps everything from sticking together.  Some of the ladies on the list even freeze rice and ground beef this way, so they can scoop it out.  Others just place the amount they usually use for a meal into a bag and freeze it that way.
Oh, and this is a VERY good thing for the holidays, especially if you're making lots of cookies. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm due for a miracle, I'm waiting for a sign
 and I'll stare straight into the sun and I won't close my eyes 'til I understand or go blind." Thrice
cinnamon teal
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006 04:10:29 PM »

Luckie-Strike, how well does this work for you?  Does the food taste as good as if you made it the same day?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Music Festival Hair Inspiration and Tips
Style a Topknot Two Ways: Sleek Vs. Messy
How to Create a Selena Gomez-Inspired Updo
How to Boost Your Roots For Fine or Thick Hair
3 Spring Styles to Inspire Your Next Haircut
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...