A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,922
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DORMANT: Snowflake-along:)  (Read 3849 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crnaofca
« on: November 30, 2006 02:45:28 AM »

I know many of you are crocheting snowflakes for christmas decorations. Here we could share pictures, patterns and ideas:) anybody interested?Smiley
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013 06:45:53 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy.
~~~~~~
Will knit for PJ pants:) PM me:)
~~~~~~
Anyone interested in swapping Steve Jackson's "Munchkin" custom cards?
Kristin2477
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006 02:10:22 PM »

This is a great idea!
These are the first snowflakes I ever made. I'm a beginner, and scared of complicated looking things. (Like, anything other than a plain rectangular scarf!) I've made 4 more since these. I'm hanging a different snowflake on every doorknob in my house. These three are from The Crochet Stitch Bible. I just modified the pattern in the book a couple of different ways. I will post pics of the others too.
I don't have enough posts to put up the actual pics. Sorry. Will get the others up soon!!

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/kcar2477/PICT0143.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crnaofca
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006 03:51:49 PM »

i like your snowflakes a lot! i'm also a beginner, and i tried to make mine over some patterns, but somehow i keep loosing one "point", or i have one too much, so they mostly have 7 points:) only #2 is made just like pattern said, and it looks bit sad. i have to find starch somewhere, they had it in one shop, and don't have it anymore:( i have to weave in the ends, too.

here they are, click for bigger:)

and here are tons of patterns:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~
~~~~~~
Kristin2477
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006 05:58:38 PM »

I love yours. They're so pretty. Do you use regular yarn, or thread? I just use regular worsted weight yarn. I've never used thread before. 

I've done a few of the patterns on CPC. These are some of those.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/kcar2477/PICT0145-1.jpg

THIS ROCKS   Logged
crnaofca
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006 01:28:06 AM »

i've never used thread either. i got this very nice yarn, one is very shiny, and other has snow-y texture, and little bit of shine, too.. you can't see it very well in photos:(

i love left snowflake, it looks perfect! so rich:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~
~~~~~~
Kristin2477
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006 05:02:46 AM »

Thank you so much! I made the one on the left with different yarn than the other two. It's kind of shiny and slippery, but also thinner than the Red Heart Worsted Weight I used on all the others. It's a bit harder to work with, so I do a new pattern in the Red Heart, and if I really like it, I do it again with the other.

Where are all the other snowflakers? We know you're out there!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006 11:34:01 AM »

Ooh ooh! I'm in! I'm in! 

I've already finished 6....they are already starched and everything.  I just need to add little ties to them.  I'm going to be putting them into my christmas cards this year.

edited to add:I'm using thread for mine and a size 7 steel hook (I think it's 1.65mm)

I'm stitching my snowflakes from the Leisure Arts booklet "99 Snowflakes".  I went through and made a list of all the ones that I liked (about 59 in total), made a little chart and some small little tags so I can keep up with which flake is which number and away I went!

I still need to take pictures of mine so far! 

Also, I've heard that you can sprinkle glitter flakes on them while they are still wet...is anyone making them sparkly?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006 11:36:41 AM by Tangerine_Dreams » THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
IamSusie
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006 11:38:05 AM »

I am very interested, but I may not actually get to crocheting them until the quiet week between Christmas and New Years.  I want to buy that Leisure Arts snowflake booklet, but I'm told there are lots of snowflake patterns online. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crnaofca
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006 03:32:56 AM »

i would love if someone would share their instructions for stiffening them. I've bought starch, and my mom says to sprinkle snowflake with it, and iron it, but i'm afraid, since i use some unusual threads, it might melt... any alternatives?Smiley

i stiffened one with glue, and gave it to my friend, he loved it:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~
~~~~~~
Kristin2477
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006 05:26:10 AM »

i would love if someone would share their instructions for stiffening them. I've bought starch, and my mom says to sprinkle snowflake with it, and iron it, but i'm afraid, since i use some unusual threads, it might melt... any alternatives?Smiley

i stiffened one with glue, and gave it to my friend, he loved it:)

I was worried abouty the same thing. After I put the starch on it, I put a towel over the snowflake, making sure it was lying flat, and kept the iron on very low. I went over it several times to make sure the starch was dry and set, but it kept the direct heat off the snowflake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006 05:52:58 AM »

I bought this stuff called "Sta-Flo" it's concentrated liquid starch.  I found it in the laundry aisle. Its shaped like a baby Clorox bottle.  You can dilute it or use it at full strength like I did.

I poured some into a ziplock baggie and dunked my snowflakes into it for 2 hours. (The directions say a few hours to 24hours, I set my timer for two, but I left the house so it was more around 4 hours).

Then I made copies of my blocking guide.  Mine came with my book but I did find this one online:  http://katecrochets.blogspot.com/2006/11/blocking-guides-for-doilies-and.html

Once the blocking guides were copied, I put them on the ironing board and then  wrapped saran wrap over the whole ironing board.  Then I took my snowflakes out of the starch using gloves, and tried to squeeze out as much starch as possible, use a paper towel to get the excess starch from the holes if needed.  Then I pin the flakes to my ironing board along the guides and leave it over night.

They were perfect.  Not crunchy hard, but they were stiff.  When I was done, I just left the starch in the ziplock baggies for my next use since I don't have a funnel to put it back into the bottle! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
crnaofca
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006 08:36:41 AM »

well, i'm from europe, so no "sta-flo" for me.. i'll try ironing them over towel, and i'll also try soaking them in starch and pin them to dry, and i'll se what comes out better:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~
~~~~~~
Kristin2477
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006 09:21:54 AM »

well, i'm from europe, so no "sta-flo" for me.. i'll try ironing them over towel, and i'll also try soaking them in starch and pin them to dry, and i'll se what comes out better:)

Put the towel over the snowflakes, not the snowflakes over the towel. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006 09:28:14 AM »

I think I'll be in on this, only because I have a large amount of crochet thread that will otherwise not be used. I too am a novice crocheter- amigurumis, hats, and scarves... but I'm ready for the next step.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
IamSusie
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006 10:18:53 AM »

I don't think there is anything special about "stay-flo".   It's just a brand of liquid starch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006 11:34:36 AM »

Yeah, there's nothing special about it, it's just concentrated liquid starch.  That's just what mine is called!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
crnaofca
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006 12:29:00 PM »

Put the towel over the snowflakes, not the snowflakes over the towel. Smiley

oh, that's what i meant. silly me and my english:D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~
~~~~~~
chillsession
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007 11:19:06 AM »

i didnt make any snowflake decorations but i did make my best friend a snowflake afghan because she looooves snowflakes
here is the pattern i used
http://www.artoftangle.com/snowflake.htm
and instead of dark blue i did dark purple!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007 03:11:49 PM »

That afghan is gorgeous!  Do you have a pic of your version?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chillsession
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007 03:30:17 PM »

i found some WIP pictures, but no finished pictures

and thats my cat cricket, she likes to hide under blankets im working on...or at least she thinks she's hiding..
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010 02:58:19 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Set Preferences
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Workspaces, Location Tracking and Slide Shows
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - File Naming Inside the Bridge
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Manage Your Images
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Showing Off New Features
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...