A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DORMANT: Snowflake-along:)  (Read 3259 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crnaofca
« on: November 30, 2006 02:45:28 AM »

I know many of you are crocheting snowflakes for christmas decorations. Here we could share pictures, patterns and ideas:) anybody interested?Smiley
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013 06:45:53 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy.
~~~~~~
Will knit for PJ pants:) PM me:)
~~~~~~
Anyone interested in swapping Steve Jackson's "Munchkin" custom cards?
Kristin2477
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006 02:10:22 PM »

This is a great idea!
These are the first snowflakes I ever made. I'm a beginner, and scared of complicated looking things. (Like, anything other than a plain rectangular scarf!) I've made 4 more since these. I'm hanging a different snowflake on every doorknob in my house. These three are from The Crochet Stitch Bible. I just modified the pattern in the book a couple of different ways. I will post pics of the others too.
I don't have enough posts to put up the actual pics. Sorry. Will get the others up soon!!

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/kcar2477/PICT0143.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crnaofca
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006 03:51:49 PM »

i like your snowflakes a lot! i'm also a beginner, and i tried to make mine over some patterns, but somehow i keep loosing one "point", or i have one too much, so they mostly have 7 points:) only #2 is made just like pattern said, and it looks bit sad. i have to find starch somewhere, they had it in one shop, and don't have it anymore:( i have to weave in the ends, too.

here they are, click for bigger:)

and here are tons of patterns:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~
~~~~~~
Kristin2477
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006 05:58:38 PM »

I love yours. They're so pretty. Do you use regular yarn, or thread? I just use regular worsted weight yarn. I've never used thread before. 

I've done a few of the patterns on CPC. These are some of those.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/kcar2477/PICT0145-1.jpg

THIS ROCKS   Logged
crnaofca
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006 01:28:06 AM »

i've never used thread either. i got this very nice yarn, one is very shiny, and other has snow-y texture, and little bit of shine, too.. you can't see it very well in photos:(

i love left snowflake, it looks perfect! so rich:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~
~~~~~~
Kristin2477
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006 05:02:46 AM »

Thank you so much! I made the one on the left with different yarn than the other two. It's kind of shiny and slippery, but also thinner than the Red Heart Worsted Weight I used on all the others. It's a bit harder to work with, so I do a new pattern in the Red Heart, and if I really like it, I do it again with the other.

Where are all the other snowflakers? We know you're out there!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006 11:34:01 AM »

Ooh ooh! I'm in! I'm in! 

I've already finished 6....they are already starched and everything.  I just need to add little ties to them.  I'm going to be putting them into my christmas cards this year.

edited to add:I'm using thread for mine and a size 7 steel hook (I think it's 1.65mm)

I'm stitching my snowflakes from the Leisure Arts booklet "99 Snowflakes".  I went through and made a list of all the ones that I liked (about 59 in total), made a little chart and some small little tags so I can keep up with which flake is which number and away I went!

I still need to take pictures of mine so far! 

Also, I've heard that you can sprinkle glitter flakes on them while they are still wet...is anyone making them sparkly?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006 11:36:41 AM by Tangerine_Dreams » THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
IamSusie
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006 11:38:05 AM »

I am very interested, but I may not actually get to crocheting them until the quiet week between Christmas and New Years.  I want to buy that Leisure Arts snowflake booklet, but I'm told there are lots of snowflake patterns online. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crnaofca
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006 03:32:56 AM »

i would love if someone would share their instructions for stiffening them. I've bought starch, and my mom says to sprinkle snowflake with it, and iron it, but i'm afraid, since i use some unusual threads, it might melt... any alternatives?Smiley

i stiffened one with glue, and gave it to my friend, he loved it:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~
~~~~~~
Kristin2477
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006 05:26:10 AM »

i would love if someone would share their instructions for stiffening them. I've bought starch, and my mom says to sprinkle snowflake with it, and iron it, but i'm afraid, since i use some unusual threads, it might melt... any alternatives?Smiley

i stiffened one with glue, and gave it to my friend, he loved it:)

I was worried abouty the same thing. After I put the starch on it, I put a towel over the snowflake, making sure it was lying flat, and kept the iron on very low. I went over it several times to make sure the starch was dry and set, but it kept the direct heat off the snowflake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006 05:52:58 AM »

I bought this stuff called "Sta-Flo" it's concentrated liquid starch.  I found it in the laundry aisle. Its shaped like a baby Clorox bottle.  You can dilute it or use it at full strength like I did.

I poured some into a ziplock baggie and dunked my snowflakes into it for 2 hours. (The directions say a few hours to 24hours, I set my timer for two, but I left the house so it was more around 4 hours).

Then I made copies of my blocking guide.  Mine came with my book but I did find this one online:  http://katecrochets.blogspot.com/2006/11/blocking-guides-for-doilies-and.html

Once the blocking guides were copied, I put them on the ironing board and then  wrapped saran wrap over the whole ironing board.  Then I took my snowflakes out of the starch using gloves, and tried to squeeze out as much starch as possible, use a paper towel to get the excess starch from the holes if needed.  Then I pin the flakes to my ironing board along the guides and leave it over night.

They were perfect.  Not crunchy hard, but they were stiff.  When I was done, I just left the starch in the ziplock baggies for my next use since I don't have a funnel to put it back into the bottle! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
crnaofca
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006 08:36:41 AM »

well, i'm from europe, so no "sta-flo" for me.. i'll try ironing them over towel, and i'll also try soaking them in starch and pin them to dry, and i'll se what comes out better:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~
~~~~~~
Kristin2477
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006 09:21:54 AM »

well, i'm from europe, so no "sta-flo" for me.. i'll try ironing them over towel, and i'll also try soaking them in starch and pin them to dry, and i'll se what comes out better:)

Put the towel over the snowflakes, not the snowflakes over the towel. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006 09:28:14 AM »

I think I'll be in on this, only because I have a large amount of crochet thread that will otherwise not be used. I too am a novice crocheter- amigurumis, hats, and scarves... but I'm ready for the next step.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
IamSusie
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006 10:18:53 AM »

I don't think there is anything special about "stay-flo".   It's just a brand of liquid starch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006 11:34:36 AM »

Yeah, there's nothing special about it, it's just concentrated liquid starch.  That's just what mine is called!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
crnaofca
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006 12:29:00 PM »

Put the towel over the snowflakes, not the snowflakes over the towel. Smiley

oh, that's what i meant. silly me and my english:D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~
~~~~~~
chillsession
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007 11:19:06 AM »

i didnt make any snowflake decorations but i did make my best friend a snowflake afghan because she looooves snowflakes
here is the pattern i used
http://www.artoftangle.com/snowflake.htm
and instead of dark blue i did dark purple!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007 03:11:49 PM »

That afghan is gorgeous!  Do you have a pic of your version?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chillsession
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007 03:30:17 PM »

i found some WIP pictures, but no finished pictures

and thats my cat cricket, she likes to hide under blankets im working on...or at least she thinks she's hiding..
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010 02:58:19 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Indu Sundaresan Talks About Shadow Princess
David McCullough Reveals His Favorite Movies
Dr. Craig Martin Talks About Elemental Love Styles
Nora Titone Talks About My Thoughts Be Bloody
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 5
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...