A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: LIP BALM RECIPE  (Read 11963 times)
Tags for this thread: lip_balm , beeswax , essential_oil , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2006 04:00:26 PM »

i'm making lip balm for Christmas this year on a very strict budget...so I used a soy/canola mix with Vitamin E (Smart Balance cooking oil!), beeswax ( i got it from Michael's in US), and peppermint extract (from seasonings isle in local grocery).

they worked out great! i had to add more beeswax to get the consistency i wanted, but other than that I have enough stuff left over to make some more! ( i made 16 4 oz containers!)

hmm, that's a lot of lipbalm! So it's a very economical craft to do...good to know Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006 11:22:03 PM »

Thank you!  I'm allergic to petroleum so I can't use most lip balm or gloss.  I will have to try this   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
kaytm
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2006 08:21:34 PM »

"Santa" brought my family this lip balm for christmas.  Boy was it a hit!  thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012 06:15:12 PM »

Old post, but I'll throw in what I know for posterity.
Other oils also work just fine, I prefer coconut if you can find it. It has a higher melting point, so if you are in an area with warmer temperatures you can make chap-stick that doesn't melt (mostly).
Other additional ingredients I add:
Coca-Butter the stick kind you can find at some 'natural' stores. 1 stick coca butter to 3 parts beeswax if adding.
Vitimin E oil, cause I like it.

Any oil based fragrance will work fine, add it at the end for the best results.

I also highly suggest tweaking the ratios to get a consistency you like, I make my hand cream with a very similar recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
bookie1510
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012 01:26:23 PM »

Grin Awesome tute! Quick question though, where would one find those lip balm tubes.... I have been looking Smiley I am in the US"

I buy my supplies and tubes from Majestic Mountain Sage online.  They have everything for lotion, soap, and lip balm crafting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivoryh1632
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2012 10:55:21 PM »

I have yet to make my own lip balm, but this recipe sounds easy enough I might give it a shot.

I just wanted to add in on the flavoring questions, essential oils that you put in for scent won't add flavor, if you add extracts from the baking sections at the grocery store, that should add flavor. I also saw a recipe a while back where they added melted hard candy and those white chocolate candy melts (the ones Wilton makes) to add flavor to lip balm. Not sure if the added sugar would increase the likelyness that it will grow mold and get icky but that would definately improve the flavor.

And for anyone looking to know the side effects of different essential oils, just google aromatherapy websites. They always list the phsyical effects of contact with the oils in addition to the aromatherapy values.

And on that note, in addition to citris essential oils causing sunburns, you can just flat out burn your skin if you use too much. Genious me was adding lemon essential oil to a mud wrap a while back and not paying attention just did it till it smelt good and ended up with nasty burns on my tummy and thighs from the acid in the oils so pay attention to the recomended doses on the aromatherapy sites, a good rule of thumb is to not use more than 30 drops of any pure essential oil
THIS ROCKS   Logged

muchocolor
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2013 07:35:07 PM »

Cool! Are those lip balm tubes easy to find?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt craft it out.

http://muchocolor.wordpress.com
michellebelle
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2013 01:26:55 AM »

I don't know lol. I've never tried making these, but would like to try at some point. I always have a dickens of a time finding lipbalm I like. And when I do find some, they inevitably stop making them lol

I have the exact same problem. I can't stand lip balm that's not minty and every time I find a good peppermint one, poof!, it's gone. I used to get peppermint candy cane lip smackers, but can't find them any more.

I think I'll just try this IF I can find those tubes. Hmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivoryh1632
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2013 05:35:17 PM »

I have the exact same problem. I can't stand lip balm that's not minty and every time I find a good peppermint one, poof!, it's gone. I used to get peppermint candy cane lip smackers, but can't find them any more.

I think I'll just try this IF I can find those tubes. Hmmm...

the regular/original flavor of burts bees is peppermint and its natural and lasts a really long time, the only downside is that it doesn't have spf, i think they make one that does have it, but i dont know what flavor it is
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krissy.me
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013 07:32:57 AM »

i'm making lip balm for Christmas this year on a very strict budget...so I used a soy/canola mix with Vitamin E (Smart Balance cooking oil!), beeswax ( i got it from Michael's in US), and peppermint extract (from seasonings isle in local grocery).

they worked out great! i had to add more beeswax to get the consistency i wanted, but other than that I have enough stuff left over to make some more! ( i made 16 4 oz containers!)

One thought to using soy/canola oil blend or either of the two straight is they have a short shelf life and will go rancid much quicker than other oils.  So they may smell like rancid oil much quicker than if you were using a different oil. 

I am a lip balm junkie and hate just about all commercial made ones and I spent a long time formulating a recipe.  I made several that I didn't like for this reason or that one.

29% Beeswax
29% Cocoa Butter
10% Coconut Oil
10% Shea Butter
19% Liquid Oil Of Choice Or Divided Among A Couple Different Liquid Oils *
 3% Flavoring

* Use liquid oils that are known to have a longer shelf life for best results.

I master batch my recipe without adding in the flavoring even though it's formulated as part of the recipe.  I pour it into a silicone muffin mold that I just used for my lip balm or food safe items.  Don't use one that has been used with soap/candle fragrance oils.   Then when I want to make a batch of lip balm I whack off the amount that I need, melt it and add the amount of flavoring appropriate for the size batch that I am making and pour it into tubes.

Personally I think 1 part beeswax and 2 parts liquid oil will be a bit on the soft side.  Maybe more appropriate for lip balm that is placed in a pot or a small slide lid tin rather than in a tube. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Buttermilk Biscuits
Stuffing Recipe with Sausage, Apple and Cranberry
Hot Dog Grilling Guide
How to Make Jambalaya
Brisket Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...