A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby hat ideas...help!  (Read 1414 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brit0602
« on: November 29, 2006 08:42:53 AM »

Hey all!  I've just been asked by one of my best friends to make a newborn hat that her baby can wear home from the hospital when she is born.  She is due in January and they live in a very cold climate.  I was hoping to get ideas or pattern links to some warm, soft baby hats.  I don't want anything too simple in order to be appropriate for the occasion and to keep some excitement in the project.  I've thought maybe a two layer hat with the top layer being lace.  But I just don't know...  Yarn suggestions would be great too b/c I've never done anything for a baby.  Thanks so much for any help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KNITTER'S GEEK CODE Grin
K C R +++ Exp+ Spm++ Bam+++ Addi> Cot+ Baa++ Lux+ Stash++(+) Scale++ Fin>+ Ent(soon) FI Int Tex++ Lace++ Felt++ Circ ML>+++ Swatch KIP++ EZ FO++ WIP+(+) GuageAll ALTX+Sp>+++
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006 05:21:43 PM »

Choose something that's not wool (avoid allergies that way Smiley).

Newborn's heads are very delicate, so I'd avoid making something that requires stretching to get it to fit, a) to avoid injury and b) a little big is fine, because then the baby can wear it longer! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brit0602
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006 11:08:23 AM »

I was  thinking of using Angora, but is it going to be soft and warm enough?  I've never used it and I'm dying to try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KNITTER'S GEEK CODE Grin
K C R +++ Exp+ Spm++ Bam+++ Addi> Cot+ Baa++ Lux+ Stash++(+) Scale++ Fin>+ Ent(soon) FI Int Tex++ Lace++ Felt++ Circ ML>+++ Swatch KIP++ EZ FO++ WIP+(+) GuageAll ALTX+Sp>+++
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006 11:28:02 AM »

angora is pretty soft.  Might be okay.  Wool of some sort is going to be warmest.  You could always make a liner with cotton or fleece for the inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moneycll
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006 02:47:13 PM »

What about an angora bonnet with a flannel type lining? That way you won't have to try and stretch it over her little head.

I love this one:
http://www.debbyware.com/product.aspx?sku=HCP
...but it may be a bit much for a newborn.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006 11:21:24 PM »

might i suggest cashmere blend?  baby head are super sensitive when they come out of the hospital.  you wouldn't need much, and if you knit it in lace or even just a fancy stitch you would really be making something special.

btw, i just had a baby nearly a year ago, and i knit her a bazillion things in pure wool.  well, turns ouut she was extremely sensitive to it and would scream bloody murder when i would put that stuff on her.  and i used a supersoft merino.  the only thing she "agreed" to wear was cashmere.  I would hate to see you knit up an amazing hat, only for it to be rejected by baby, hence the cashmere suggestion.  otherwise, go for cotton.  its a 100% sure thing. 

and another thing:  ONLY hats and MAYBE booties should be knit with cashmere, because you don't have to wash them often.  use cotton for sweaters so mom can toss it in the wash if baby spits up or "leaks". 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

drcliquet
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006 01:09:32 PM »

Hi! I posted two baby hat patterns in my blog recently and will probably post two more soon! I've used Bunny hop yarn from Crystal palace yarns. It's a little bit chunky, colorful and very soft. If you prefer to use another kind of yarn I think it will be very easy to substitute, I include a link to see the details of that yarn.
http://bagfullofyarn.blogspot.com/2006/12/two-hats-for-december-babies.html
http://www.straw.com/cpy/yarns/bunny_hop.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PhoenixDawn

Um, so how does this work?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006 01:56:11 PM »

www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/baby_pixiehat.htm

This is a cute hat and woudld be warm, though it isn't lacy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brit0602
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006 02:43:09 PM »

Wow, I went out of town for a couple of days and came back to some great suggestions!  Thanks!  The bonnet idea was great to help it say on without being too tight.  And great job on yours drcliquet!  I really appreciate the patterns too!  Cashmere is another really good idea!  I was wondering if the pixie hat link was working for any one else b/c I couldn't get there.  Thank you so much, needless to say I think I will be making more than one hat for her. haha...keep them coming b/c I have some more babies I just found out about coming in the later months.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KNITTER'S GEEK CODE Grin
elijor
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006 03:50:44 PM »

The pixie hat link isn't working for me either. Also it is not listed on their pattern page anymore but you can get to it by going to the hat pattern page scroll about half way down to the "Adult Pixie Hat" and in the thrid column over there is a link to the baby hat.

If that doesn't work try Crystal Palace Yarns homepage, then go to patterns, hats, and look.

It is a very cute hat.

By the way I don't think you should worry about stretching a hat over a baby's head - have you ever tried dressing a baby - because their heads are so much bigger (proportionally) than the rest of them most all tops are tight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grilled Spicy Skirt Steak
Grilled Pork Chops Recipe
The Secret to Grilled Brats
How to Make a Reuben Super Bowl Dip
How to Grill Chicken Drumettes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...