A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38
Jump to page:
    Print  
Topic: 11/29/06 - Craftster Design Reproduced on Gilmore Girls TV Show  (Read 190824 times)
Tags for this thread: gilmore_girls , tv  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 29, 2006 07:34:08 AM »

Diary of an Independent Artist's T-Shirt Design Post-Gilmore Girls

Craftster's design since mid-2005

reproduced version

I thought it might be helpful to have another thread started by me where I keep an updated timeline of this situation here.

If you want to see a convenient listing of all the places you can buy legitimate versions this design on shirts and other merch, click below:
http://www.craftster.org/shop

May 2005
My husband Dave (an artist for a living) created an original design for me/Craftster which is a skull & knitting needles. You can see it for sale on a t-shirt here in this picture taken at the Renegade Craft Fair in Brooklyn on 6/25/05. I've been selling it and still currently still sell on t-shirts and on on other merch. Click below for more info on buying items with this design:
http://www.craftster.org/shop

(click to enlarge)

11/21/06
I was notified by a Craftster member that in the preview for the upcoming episode of Gilmore Girls, one of the characters was wearing a t-shirt with Craftster's skull & knitting needles design.

11/28/06
The episode of Gilmore Girls aired and indeed a character is wearing a shirt with this design. Although I sell shirts with this design on it in a few different places, this shirt was not purchased from any of these places. It was created anew and not by me and not with my permission. The design was enlarged and has the words "knit or go home" added underneath it.

11/29/06
knock-off #1 Less than 24 hours later a design based on the shirt on the TV show which is in turn based on Craftster's design, has already been put up for sale in a CafePress shop that is not owned by me. See this here. I've contacted CafePress via their copyright infringement department and have not heard back yet.

(screen grab of design pre-removal from CafePress - click to enlarge)

11/29/06 update!
knock-off #1 CafePress replied to my email and has taken down the copyright infringing images that were in this shop here. Due to browser cache-ing weirdness you might still see them there but you should not be able to click and purchase any items.

11/29/06 knock-off #2 update!
knock-off #2 Another design on CafePress was just pointed out to me. It's yet another skull & needles design with the words "Knit or Go Home" under it just like on the TV show. But this time the style of skull is very different than Craftster's design. You can see this here. As of now I don't plan on contacting CafePress about this one.

11/30/06 update!
knock-off #3 Just found another knock-off of the Craftster design on CafePress. Again, it has a very similar type of skull as Craftster's design and has the words "Knit or Go Home" under it as seen on the TV show. You can see this here. I'm going to report this to CafePress's copyright infringement department.

11/30/06 update!
knock-off #3 CafePress replied to my last email and has taken down the 2nd copyright infringing version that was in this shop here. Due to browser cache-ing weirdness you might still see them there but you should not be able to click and purchase any items.

11/30/06 update!
knock-off #4 Not sure why but yet another knock-off someone reported earlier today has been removed. I didn't report it to CafePress but I was going to. I wonder if CafePress proactively sought it out and removed. It was in this shop here.

12/1/06 update!
knock-off #5 Another copy in CafePress was just pointed out to me. This time they took the exact same skull as Craftster's design and just put "Knit or Go Home" under it. You can see it here. An email to CafePress is underway.

12/1/06 update!
knock-off #5 CafePress replied to my last email and has taken down this copyright infringing version that was in this shop here.

12/4/06 update!
knock-off #6 Yet another design popped up in this shop here that is strikingly similar to Craftster's with the words Knit or Go Home added just like on the TV show. It's in fact listed under Gilmore Girls in this person's shop. I emailed CafePress and they removed it.

12/8/06 update!
On USA Today's Pop Candy, the blog author Whitney Matheson answered a reader's question about where this shirt she saw on Gilmore Girls could be purchased. Whitney wrote that she contacted the CW and they said it was: "a one-of-a-kind creation by the show's fabulous costume designer, Brenda Maben." I emailed Whitney asking her to correct this and she added an addendum to this entry in her blog clarifying the situation.
http://blogs.usatoday.com/popcandy/2006/12/the_candy_mailb_1.html#more

12/8/06 update!
The situation with Pop Candy getting false information from the CW spokesperson has been written about at Consumerist.com.
http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/skull-tshirts/gilmore-girls-steals-craftsters-tshirt-design-220599.php

12/10/06 update!
I officially opened up a Craftster Spreadshirt shop where you can order shirts with this design and add whatever text you want under the design. This means people can add the words "Knit or Go Home" or whatever other creative phrase they want underneath. Spreadshirt is similar to CafePress in that it's print-on-demand but the print quality at Spreadshirt looks unbelievable bold and crisp. They actually cut the design and letters out this special material that gets heat set onto the shirt.

12/13/06 update!
knock-off #6 The skull/knitting needles design in this shop was taken down by CafePress due to my complaint and then the shop owner drastically changed the way the skull looks and added it again. I don't think I'll pursue it any further since he/she changed the look of the skull to be very different than Craftster's.

(click to enlarge)

12/13/06 update!
The national commuter newspaper The Metro has written an article about where to buy some clothing seen on popular TV shows. They showed my skull/needles shirt and gave a link to my CafePress store for where to buy it. (This story ran on 12/13 here in Boston but it might have run on a different date in other cities.) You can see the article here:
http://metropoint.metro.lu/20061213_Boston.pdf

I'll post more details above as I have them!

« Last Edit: December 13, 2006 11:05:21 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006 07:39:13 AM »

Wowie about the other cafepress shop!  Sad  Good looking out.

Thanks, Leah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006 07:45:18 AM »

People have no shame. I hope karma bites them in the buttocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006 07:48:23 AM »

Let's all knit voodoo dolls of the rip off artists....sheesh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iScreamedMyselfHoarse
Boldly screaming where no one has screamed before...

And Jesus, I'm ready to go home...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006 07:52:24 AM »

Yours is way better Leah! Sheesh I knew I didn't watch that show for a reason!
-iSMH
THIS ROCKS   Logged

He wraps Himself in Light, and darkness tries to hide and trembles at His voice... How great is our God!

PM me if you would like to trade something knitted for a size 12-20 Built by Wendy sewing Pattern... never been used!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006 07:56:23 AM »

Let's all knit voodoo dolls of the rip off artists....sheesh!

Oh my goodness, even our revenge is crafty!  lol.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
babychel
McTavish: the tiniest kitty in all the land

Yep, that is a tissue box ...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006 07:56:56 AM »

There's an error in the timeline.  You've got Sept instead of Nov.

Oh, and here's my two cents:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=136152.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
~Threadless

wisty goodness
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006 07:59:11 AM »

There's an error in the timeline.  You've got Sept instead of Nov.

Oops... Duh! Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006 08:36:23 AM »

bah, mean people!  I hope they realise that they've ticked off a whole lot of people and they'll resolve this all quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006 08:38:52 AM »

this is typical miranda right here, but: maybe you can get a decent monetary settlement !  thatd be awesome. its BS that you weren't even credited!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38 Jump to page:
  Print  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spring Hair Tips From Celebrity Hairstylists
AXE HAIR Spring Styles
Highlight Your Hair Without Any Damage
Hair Takes Spotlight in Anti-Aging Boom
4 Best Ways to Use Hairspray
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...