A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,954
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: formatting word for several tiny pages?  (Read 867 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

letsread

i'm the jealous type

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2006 08:35:59 PM »

i want to make a really small book (about 1/8 size) with nicely formatted, typed pages, double-sided, and put together in signatures (possibly only one signature, but it is going to be folded and sewn down the middle).  anyone have any advice about how i might be able to format a microsoft word document so i can print several pages of my tiny book on one page of 8 1/2 x 11?  i'd also like the margins to be nicely symmetrical so i can feed it through again and print on the back (to make it double-sided).

has anyone ever tried anything like this?  i guess i could dig out my old zine-making skills and do the cut, paste, and copy strategy, but i'd rather not have to do all of that gluing.  i've never liked that part that much.  plus, i'm only making one copy of the book.

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"you're ms. thinks-she's-pretty"
-one of my 3rd graders
teri
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006 04:48:26 PM »

hey,

I'm trying to figure the same sort of thing out myself.  I want to bind a copy of my bf's writing for him for Christmas.  I want to use 81/2 by 11" paper folded in half so I can bind it using a coptic stitch.  I was planning on printing it using 2 columns and in landscape format.  I will have to re-feed the paper to the printer in order to use both sides but can't seem to figure out how to keep the writings in a 2 column format even if I want only one column on a page... I just had an idea and thought it might work for you. Perhaps you could just use text boxes, sized-accordingly and place them wherever you want them on the page.  Let me know if you come up with anything else...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
letsread

i'm the jealous type

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006 07:37:52 PM »

thanks!  i've decided to use a 2-column, 2-row table on every page, which i'll just feed through the printer twice to print both sides, and then trim, resulting in a page that's a little bit between 1/4 size and 1/8 size.  i'll post the results if i can get it done by christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-one of my 3rd graders
lovelyxmalia
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006 03:57:50 AM »

To get the small pages even...your best bet would be a spreadsheet, I think...then print a few test runs to see if it's the right size...? Then import it into word after formatting on the spreadsheet

I did that with an address book but it wasn't that small...worked out well though...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
letsread

i'm the jealous type

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006 05:28:25 PM »

that sounds interesting.  i've used excel a lot for mathy/data stuff, but never for text formatting.  could you tell me a little bit more about how you formatted it in excel (i'm assuming you used excel since you imported it to word)?  it occurred to me that with tables that they could end up just a centimeter or two off which could really screw up the book.  i like the idea of having something more exact, but can't really see how it would work.

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-one of my 3rd graders
Brima
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006 02:41:42 PM »

If you have Adobe Acrobat (not reader, the whole program) I believe you can save the pages as an Acrobat file and when you go to print you can tell it to print more than one mini-page per 8.5"x11" page. If you don't have it, you can download a trial version from adobe.com I think.

Good luck. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pheather

I am full of p and v....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006 03:13:03 PM »

I was thinking that maybe using tables might be the best way to acheive what you want.  The other ideas are great too!  I have used tables to create a pocket sized guides with info for homeless teens.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006 03:15:14 PM by Pheather » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
ISH Ionic Rescue Pro Treatment Review
How to Create a Holiday Updo for Short Hair
Simple Way to Spice Up Your Hair
How to Create Retro Hair Style
How to Create a Bow Hair Style
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...