A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,033
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Wire-Wrapping Necklaces (FIRST POST)  (Read 1376 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

.tiaraly.
« on: November 28, 2006 06:15:58 PM »

Been lurking for quite a while now! I've always loved the wire-wrapped pieces and after seeing nicegoing and lyrem591 make them, I had to give them a try.

This was my first actual piece and I actually like the way it turned out! It took me such a long time to figure out how to function the pliers, so then I kind of gave up and just used my hand for most of it. I kept on unwinding it so then the wire got super crimped. Undecided

It's a purple rock! At first I didn't like this one at all, but then now I prefer this one to the blue one. Too bad it's a Christmas gift, though.

My designs are really weird, not exactly what most people do when they wrap. Do you guys usually plan out how you are going to wrap before you do the wrapping or do you do it spontaneously? Any help on how to do the loopy part at the top would be extremely appreciated!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006 06:17:53 PM »

Those are both beautiful! I like pieces where the wrapping is as individual as the stone (or whatever is wrapped).
Keep up the good work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loudgrrl4_ever
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006 07:38:59 PM »

I love your necklaces Smiley

The wrapping on the second one sorta makes me think that the stone is riding on a tricycle or in a wheelchair, very cute.

I can't help on constructing the top loop, but I can recommend a simple jump ring. They are easy to make (any website about jewelry making should have a simple tutorial) and would give your stone more freedom to rotate, and the method in which you make them would ensure that the rings stay nice and round.

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
.tiaraly.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006 08:23:13 PM »

Aw thanks guys! Yeah, the purple one reminds me of a tricycle too, loudgrrl4_ever! I think I get what you mean, but I'll definitely have to look it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neovamp
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006 01:17:47 AM »

so cool to be a first piece! congratulations!
my work is mostly wire-wrapped (check my flickr link below) and yes, I wire wrap mostly by hand. It is not easy at first but when you lose your fingerprints it won't hurt anymore LOL (just a joke). I don't do sketches or previous drawings of my pieces - they sort of come along by themselves. That is not a problem as I never make two pieces with the same design. I choose the beads only, so the colour, shape and texture on the beads themselves give the right wrapping. I think that the key of it is always thinking -what can I do to make this bead more beautiful? As you will see in my flickr album I have many different styles of wrapping and I think that's important to keep your work fresh: don't repeat a style over and over again and you won't get tired of it (I know wrapping can get so frustrating sometimes). variety is always welcome, for you and for your customers if you sell (or plan to sell in some future).
Feel free to ask anything and keep that good work going!
Carolina
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deenie
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006 05:47:44 AM »

This is something I've wanted to try, I'm just skeered to get started.  You did a very nice job being your first try Smiley  Way to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dena
Mom of two toddlers
I want more time to work on projects!
.tiaraly.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006 09:03:03 PM »

Ahhh, thank you Deenie and neovamp. I love your pieves neovamp! Deenie, you should relaly give it a shot. If you make a mistake, you just have to unwrap it and redo it. It actually took 30 minutes for me to get one of those done. :x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Decorating Bikes for the Fourth of July
Red, White and Blue Festive Garland
MAKERS China: Guo Jianmei
MAKERS China: Yang Liping
Quilt Feathers Patterns and Techniques
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...