A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,494
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Photographing your work?  (Read 1583 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spacekitten
Polymorph Expert

View Profile WWW
« on: November 28, 2006 01:20:32 PM »

... Photograph your cloth pieces?  Or, any 3-dimentional craft project, for that matter.  I'm trying to take decent pictures of my things for here and my DeviantArt gallery.  I moved into an appartment this year, that actually has a semi-useful window for some natural light, but my windowsil is... not very photogenic.  Do you have a specific set-up for taking pictures?  Do you have a spot in the backyard?  Any ideas would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006 10:38:46 AM by teapotdnky » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art & Crafts Blog: Mage Weave
http://mageweave.wordpress.com/
toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006 01:43:31 PM »

We have this empty bookcase in the basement that I have taken over with all of my crafty stuff. 

I usually just clear off a shelf and prop up the item in the corner (if it doesn't stand on its own) or have it sit in the middle of the shelf and then I stand back and zoom in to photograph it so that you really only see the bookcase shelf as the background instead of the entire bookcase.  If that makes sense. 

Plus, if you sit back and zoom in on your creation instead of photographing it close up, the flash won't bounce off whatever you've made and cause funny discoloration.  Seems everytime I photograph something that has even a little bit of white or a light color the flash messes up ... the method of sitting a bit back and zooming in instead eliminates that problem! Smiley

Sometimes if I have nice, simple, not-too-busy fabric lying around I'll line the bookcase shelf with that so that whatever I'm photographing has a prettier backdrop, but I tend to stay very plain so that the background doesn't take away from my subject Smiley

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I design geeky, all natural handmade soap known as GEEKSOAP! http://www.geeksoap.net
Portfolio: http://www.thepinktoque.com/
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006 08:33:51 PM »

I use a chair in my living room sometimes but my favorite place to photograph is my ktichen. I turn the overhead light on and use the bare counter near my fridge. that way I have a solid background and a nondistracting surface. Plus my kitchen is the best lit room in the house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006 05:46:23 AM »

I try to pick a place that suits the character of plushie being photographed, and that gets fairly good light too, like here with a prissy rabbit:

I'm blessed with big, big windows, but during autumn & winter there's not much natural light to go around so I try and make do with artificial light the best I can.

I'd say that you're best off with a place that has good (natural) light and as for a background, you don't want anything too distracting so that your item is easy to see. Also, with smaller stuff like toys and such if you can, use the macro-setting on your camera to get clear pictures of the little bits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bond Girl
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006 12:25:45 AM »

I usually clear the kitch bench down where the light comes in the window and then create a background and floor (for lack of a better term!) to sit the plushy on.  Often this is pretty plain, so I might use some little props if I have something suitable, like sitting the plushy on some books or whatever.  Also, steps, fences, gates, rocks and other places around the garden can make good photo spots when the light is right!

Like Kitty Vane, I like to take into account the character of the plushy.  And I must say Kitty Vane, that's a gorgeous plushy and a lovely photo! Smiley

Good luck with your photos, spacekitten ♥
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm very into Britney Spears' early work, before she sold out, so mostly her, um, finger painting and macaroni art.
Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006 04:43:01 AM »

Like Kitty Vane, I like to take into account the character of the plushy.  And I must say Kitty Vane, that's a gorgeous plushy and a lovely photo! Smiley

Thank you for your kind words, I'm blushing now. Cheesy

For me coming up with a fitting backdrop for my plushies is one of the best bits in the whole process. It's fun to scout around for the perfect place and to think up photo shoots as you work on the plushie and develop it's character. I've not gotten brave enough to venture very far from the courtyard of our building to take photos, but one day I hope to have the courage to photograph my plushies in public places, like maybe a caf or in a park or tram and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bond Girl
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006 01:49:07 AM »

Thank you for your kind words, I'm blushing now. Cheesy

For me coming up with a fitting backdrop for my plushies is one of the best bits in the whole process. It's fun to scout around for the perfect place and to think up photo shoots as you work on the plushie and develop it's character. I've not gotten brave enough to venture very far from the courtyard of our building to take photos, but one day I hope to have the courage to photograph my plushies in public places, like maybe a caf or in a park or tram and such.

Hehe, yes, I love thinking of places to photogrpah my plushies...  I just have to get around to making more so I can take the photos!

Oh and also, Japanese craft books are a constant source of inspiration for the plushies & crafts themselves as well as the gorgeous styling and photogrpahy.  If you can't get your hands on the craft books themselves you can still take a peek in the Flickr pools crafting in japanese and inspiring images from craft books.  Hope that helps, spacekitten!  Wink
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006 01:53:58 AM by Bond Girl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm very into Britney Spears' early work, before she sold out, so mostly her, um, finger painting and macaroni art.
Sariel
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006 07:49:15 AM »

I'm really boring: I just photograph my plushies on my bed. *laughs* Mostly because my bed is where I do most of my sewing, and because my blankets or pillowcases make nice solid-colored backgrounds for the shots. Plus, if I really want to get them standing up, I can prop them against a pile of pillows and that works great. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 plushies! If you like my designs, I'm up for discussing swaps or commissions. Smiley

my wists
Bond Girl
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006 05:57:50 PM »

Yeh that's a good idea too Sariel, I think sometimes I get a bit too involved  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chrislea
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006 07:47:05 PM »

When no nice, natural light can be found, I sometimes... prop my lightboard against a chair leg and use a mirror or something to get even more light, then hunch on the floor with my camera and the thing I want to photograph.  Sometimes it works...  But it's always a little embarassing.  ^^;  You could also try taking the item out to a park or even a parking lot (that's safe) during the day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
How to Make Chicken & Beef Lo Mein
Shrimp Curry Recipe
Vegetarian Saag Aloo Recipe
Regional Chinese Food and Cooking
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...