A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Belated Soctoberfest FO round up!  (Read 1779 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Keletubbie

Knittin' like I mean it.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 28, 2006 11:41:14 AM »

Ok, so where were these pictures during the actual month of Socktoberfest? I finished 0 things then. Nut I have since picked up the slack and warmed the feet of all and sundry:

A pair of anklet socks in Regia Cotton Surf, each one completed in but a day, thanks to the encouragment of Yarn Harlot.

A jazzy pair of Jaywalkers in hand dyed Opal.

The cabled version of Widdershins from summer's Knitty in some charity shop wool that everyone adores.

Finally, for me at least, the holy grail of socks. Norwegian Stocking from Nancy Bush's Folk Socks. Knit in what I had inherited from my nan. Love 'em.

Details about these and my other socktastic delights can be found on my blog Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my blog. Comments make us all happy:

http://purlfriday.blogspot.com
kathcummings
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006 12:06:14 PM »

Wow, well done all around. I loveloveLOVE the holy grail socks. I've never tried that kind of colorwork yet, but I can't wait to try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keletubbie

Knittin' like I mean it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006 07:47:56 AM »

Awww, thank you!

The Norwegian stockings were my first big colourwork project and they were surprisingly easy. The patterns are simple and easy to remember and the colourwork on the heel makes it extra cushy and comfy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

madgirl66
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006 08:57:35 AM »

Longtime lurker, first time post...
I really love to read everyone's comments and get inspired by projects I see here. I've always loved knitting (though I only did stockinette-stitch scarves), but I got inspired by all the cabled bags that were really hot a few months ago and seriously picked up the needles again.
 Since then, not only have I done the coveted cabled bag, but also cabled scarves, Knitty's Fetching (many times), am currently working on Xmas gifts (hats, scarves, slippers) and my own Clapotis (my first, out of alpaca. Just the stole-size, and I've already selected yarn for my second Clapotis!).
 I'm a quick knitter, and my job really facilitates this-I'm a weekend security supervisor at a large company, so I have lots of time to knit. No one sees my knitting as detrimental to the job, esp. as I choose projects requiring lots of repitition, usually hats, gloves, or scarves.
 My question is this: How hard are socks to knit, and can anyone steer me to an east pattern? I LOOOVE DPN's, and I want to knit up some socks for my sister(very small feet-sz.5) and my husband (very large feet-size 15).
 I'm a yarn snob! But a few acrylics are dreamy (Caron Simply Soft and Shadows)
I'll start posting with everyone else soon, I promise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Could you tell me...why you got a dead man with an arm missing in your boot?
   Hey, George...is that a tea cosy on his head?
~Snatch

Simon: How do I know you won't kill me in my sleep?
Mal: ...If I kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
~Firefly
turtlegirl76
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006 09:47:39 AM »

Madgirl - for a first sock pattern I highly recommend Knitty's Fuzzy Feet.  They're knit on larger needles (US size 10 1/2) and are felted.  I live in mine and everyone that receives a pair lives in theirs as well!  So comfy!

ETA - So Sorry!  I also meant to comment on the beautiful socks posted in this thread!  How ambitious those holy grail socks are!  Wonderful!  I love those Jaywalkers though, what fun colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jesdmill
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006 10:07:33 AM »

I love your jaywalkers - so colorful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keletubbie

Knittin' like I mean it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006 02:19:57 AM »

My question is this: How hard are socks to knit, and can anyone steer me to an east pattern? I LOOOVE DPN's, and I want to knit up some socks for my sister(very small feet-sz.5) and my husband (very large feet-size 15).
 I'm a yarn snob! But a few acrylics are dreamy (Caron Simply Soft and Shadows)
I'll start posting with everyone else soon, I promise!

Socks are different, but certainly not difficult. They're just a tube with a bendy bit in the middle. If you're confident with DPNs, that's half of the battle.

http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html

This is a wonderful tutorial that shows you step by step how to make some basic stockinette socks. It's especially useful for the heel, which really takes a leap of faith.

A word of warning though - acrylic on the feet can become rather sweaty...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

madgirl66
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006 10:23:38 AM »

Turtlegirl-
Thanks for the link. I think I'll try the Fuzzy Feet. For myself first, and maybe a pair for my sister.

And Keletubbie-
Thanks for the encouragement. I patronized my LYS for  the first time today (The Yarn Basket in Virginia Beach), and left with some beautiful Lana Grossa sock yarn and an easy Ann Norling sock pattern, and the ladies there were wonderful. If I need any help, I can just stop by.

I'm so excited!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Could you tell me...why you got a dead man with an arm missing in your boot?
   Hey, George...is that a tea cosy on his head?
~Snatch

Simon: How do I know you won't kill me in my sleep?
Mal: ...If I kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
~Firefly
jese

"language is a virus from outer space" - wsbIII

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006 01:52:32 PM »

Those Jaywalkers are jazzy!  I just love the colors.  Also dig the Widdershins.  I need to make so many different pairs of socks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Boyd Morrison Discuss His Riveting Novel: The Ark
Susan Rebecca White Discusses Her Novel a Soft Place to Land
Young Noni Carter Talks About Her Novel: Good Fortune
D.J. MacHale Discusses His Series Pendragon
Philippa Gregory on Her Book the White Queen
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...